fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At 71 years of age it is getting a little harder for me to get around, especially up and down so this is my last large project. I built it by myself and it only took me 6 months. Everything is pressure treated wood except the decking. It is Trex so it won't warp or rot. It may not look high but the peak of the roof is about 14 feet high but I was able to get it roofed in one day!
And, I only managed to fall one time when the eight foot step ladder I was standing on the top of collapsed. I landed on the ground between the floor joists and was only stove up for three or four days.
I still have to put a ceiling in it but I may get some help with that. Then the wife and I can sit back and enjoy the daylilies we have planted over the last ten or so years.

Attachments

• 20211024_110242.jpg
    20211024_110242.jpg
    736.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 20211024_110342.jpg
    20211024_110342.jpg
    591.4 KB · Views: 89

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At 71 years of age it is getting a little harder for me to get around, especially up and down so this is my last large project. I built it by myself and it only took me 6 months. Everything is pressure treated wood except the decking. It is Trex so it won't warp or rot. It may not look high but the peak of the roof is about 14 feet high but I was able to get it roofed in one day!
And, I only managed to fall one time when the eight foot step ladder I was standing on the top of collapsed. I landed on the ground between the floor joists and was only stove up for three or four days.
I still have to put a ceiling in it but I may get some help with that. Then the wife and I can sit back and enjoy the daylilies we have planted over the last ten or so years.
wow beautiful work you did! Your wife must love it. Great job!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking job. You do Quality work. This should keep you outta the dog house for a little while. But he careful, you know what they say, "one screw up, and all those attaboys' go out the window. Lol Seriously, a Great looking addition to yall's yard and landscape. Now you and your wife can enjoy the fruits of your labor. Well Done.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It won't be your last! Good looking project & I would leave the ceiling out. Easier to attach plant hangers & windchimes.
The only reason I am going to put it in is to deter birds from nesting in the rafters. And it will help with the air flow from the ceiling fan which we need here in south Georgia.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's how it looks today in the rain. My wife has plenty of flowers already there and room for more if she so chooses. And, they get hit by the sprinkler system so I don't have to water them! If you look close you can see some daffodils coming up through the deck boards. I thought I had dug them all up before I started the job. Guess I was wrong.

Attachments

• 20220315_181546.jpg
    20220315_181546.jpg
    566.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's beautiful! Enjoy it. Maybe some hardware cloth/mesh in the ceiling. That'll keep the birds out and allow air flow.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nicely done! Every old guy I know eventually has fallen off the roof and lamed themself.... so I promised my wife I would stop going up to clean it, I hire it done now... even though I KNOW I could still do it. But eventually it will be my turn to fall.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The only reason I am going to put it in is to deter birds from nesting in the rafters. And it will help with the air flow from the ceiling fan which we need here in south Georgia.
Amen to that.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, outstanding job! May be your last large project, but I spect we'll see more slightly smaller projects from you.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Thats awesome!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking hang out. The Mrs must right pleased.
Now I have a query: The last picture of the moonshine jug that's tipped over, is that the cause of your fall?
🤣

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking hang out. The Mrs must right pleased.
Now I have a query: The last picture of the moonshine jug that's tipped over, is that the cause of your fall?
🤣
I told my wife to keep her jugs in the house!:laughing7: It has a hole in the bottom and toads reside in it unless a snake decides to take up residence! Then I have to evict the snake and relocate it to the woods beside our property.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your beautiful accomplishment with your yard.
Yes it’s so so nice to see the plants and day Lilly’s
Starting to also see tulips and hyacinths here
Take care

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice job.
i have a 75 yr. old Uncle, that i often help with builds, we did his "last" project years ago, and half a dozen since.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread