old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I were standing there discussing the next area to search and while we were talking she bends down and picks up this perfect little Tri-notch point. And you know, this has happened more than once. I think that the next time this happens, I'm going to have to look down before she has an opportunity to.

Folder #1 410.JPG

Upvote 0

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank You Steve!

gotta love it

FYI.........RBSW is Rainy Buttes Silicified Wood

the paleos just loved this material as it was easy to work......
..... beautiful arrow points were the main thing it was used for....it was not used for knives and scrapers as it did not hold an edge for quite as long of a time as the Jaspers and the KRF
it originates from the Rainy Buttes area in the Badlands of SW North Dakota

we find some arrow points and flakes of it here where i live which is about 200 miles NE of the source...whereas you are a few hundred miles west of the source

just saying..........it sure is a honey

larson1951

kansa54

Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500 Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Silver Sabre micro max
Makro Racer 2 Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Larson, does Rainy Buttes come in a red color? This is the only color that I have ever seen. rainey buttes 002.JPG

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a REALLY nice little point! Nothing more fun than standing next to a man, and effortlessly picking up a perfect point, that he misses :) Drives you guys crazy!!! Tell her WTG

naturegirl

Thanks Naturegirl, lol! But I give you ladies the credit for getting out and pursuing those artifacts. She says ''Thanks, will do''!

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Larson, does Rainy Buttes come in a red color? This is the only color that I have ever seen. View attachment 854854

That's a really nice point you got there! :icon_thumleft:
That Rainy Butte material is more of a dark red color. Your point looks to be made of a hardened silica based rock. I personally refer to it as ''silk-stone'' due to the way it shines in the sunlight. I find the same carmel colored material here, and I find a white hue also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread