Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My one spot in Virginia was settled in the 1660's by European settlers. That said, the one rise above a spring would have been a fairly good lookout spot for native Americans. The host rock is limestone in the Shenandoah Valley. That said, there was a ca 1850 house there that burned down in 1863 or 4. I found a shale/schist broken Indian gorget on the top of the hill. No points. So...I found these three beads there. I found these over the spring. Plz take a look.

IMG_2920.JPG IMG_2921.JPG IMG_2922.JPG

They are apparently of European manufacture and are glass. The first one is clear and has wear near each hole, showing long use and the glass has somewhat frosted. The second is a very, very dark color. Sometimes it seems to be black and iridescent and other times dark green, depending on the lighting. The third is definitely green. They are about 3/8" in diameter.

The question is, are they trade beads or did they belong to the lady of the house? Thanks for looking.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently I eyeballed these while moving some dirt around. I just bought a new bead book, but need a BETTER bead book.

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hard telling.
A couple hint of being mandrel wound. IF the wire was coated with clay to keep glass from sticking , the cores were cleaned out. (?)

The history of trade beads and the move to Murano (let's not burn civilization down , get thee to an island instead..)as well as other places and the carefully guarded (under dire threat) trade in Italy ....Then the eventual establishment of crafters in colonial America is a fun study.
I'll quote it wrong , but it was stressed at one American place not to oversaturate the market and devalue the beads...
One place I lack info on was here in America. What thier beads looked like.

[In 1622, a glass factory was built near Jamestown, Virginia. Less than a year later, a raiding party of Indians burned the factory. Very few of the beads made in the Jamestown factory are believed to exist today.]

http://peachstatearchaeologicalsociety.org/index.php/13-beads/248-history-of-trade-beads

Upvote 0
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relevantchair, do you know a good source for northeast US found beads? I ASSUMED these were jewelry from the house owner, but now I'm wondering if I was wrong. Beads are kinda plain for a middle class lady from 1860. I recently got the big book "The History of Beads", but it's not very helpful. I need a seeing eye book so to speak.

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Relevantchair, do you know a good source for northeast US found beads? I ASSUMED these were jewelry from the house owner, but now I'm wondering if I was wrong. Beads are kinda plain for a middle class lady from 1860. I recently got the big book "The History of Beads", but it's not very helpful. I need a seeing eye book so to speak.

No.I don't.
My bead and archeological books are gone.
Been a while since down the rabbit hole of Italian , Dutch, African, Russian ect. beads.

I often ended up in Italy (by book anyways ,) as the anchor of higher numbers of trade beads. Even some called French.

Here's some pics,. Though you've likely been through them.
Beads traveled for sure. And sources for those who distributed them can vary. Or relate(!).
But multiple cultures and nationalities were in the game. And mixed beads could be from about anywhere.
Even from mixed rivals.

https://www.globalbeads.com/products/old-world-collection/venetian-trade-beads/

Upvote 0

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds Smokey...the only thing I know about beads is the ones I find that are Indian Trade are almost all not uniformly made except for the brass ones..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some (minimal) research on Victorian period beads, which the house dates to. The little seed type beads were extensively used on handbags and such. Better beads like pearls, mother of pearl, coral, and also intricate metal beads were used. I didn't see much on just plain out of round glass beads, so...they may be trade beads. I will look into it further.

Upvote 0

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you place them next to each other for a size reference between them...they look very precise...

What tribe would have been in that area?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are about the same size. I can use the micrometers on them. The Powhatan Confederation was east of them and the Iroquoian Confederation to the north. It doesn't exactly relate to "tribe" as it does out west. Apparently some of the Siouxan peoples lived a few miles from where I live and in the early 1750's moved west to the Great Plains.

Upvote 0

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are in some hot spots!!! I love to see your finds. Congrats!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have numerous "spots" and when I get bored I go to a public beach. But I have to be really bored.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The green one is .425" around and .285" tall. Dark one is .3925" around and .338" tall. White one is .370" around and .280" tall. White is more crude than the others, it is not totally round.

Upvote 0

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey. Not sure if it will help could you notify a town historian and perhaps they could research them or refer you

Upvote 0
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Billb, there isn't a town there! Also, I took a microscope to them. They APPEAR to be the WOUND GLASS variety. That type was invented in the 14th century and their use was (generally) discontinued by the end of the 18th Century. That would date them older than the house that stood there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey ...great idea to use a microscope.I don’t know again if it would help could you contact a museum or appraiser and hopefully they could help..
I sometimes watch antique roadhouse on Tv and they somehow always find someone who can identify items

Upvote 0
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't think they are worth much, and as far as a museum or such goes, I do not disclose a site, so...they would probably have no interest.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread