Jayanthonyr

Mar 12, 2013
Nassau County Long Island
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin master
whites bullseye II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just picked up a bunch of coins from a guy. 8 40% Kennedy's 2 franklin halves 1 walker 17 war nickels. WHat I need help with is that the 40%er's look almost uncirculated and the edges look like clad...I say this cause I been coin roll hunting and compared these to the 4 40%ers I found in rolls and theres definitely a difference..Is it because the ones I received from him are not real silvers or is it because they are almost uncirculated? Can someone help me out let me know if I got ripped.

Thanks ~Jay

Upvote 0

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Check the dates. If they are dated between 1965-70, then they should be 40%. check the edges, they should be solid silver color. If not, I don't know what you could do about it. I mean if money has already been exchanged and he knew he was giving you bad silver, he's not going to give ya you money back.Which is another reason why I don't buy from Ebay or non-LCS.

Hope that helps a bit,
GarouLady

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they're 1965-1970 then they're good. I am really doubting there are fake 40's out there. I've had some that look copper, that can happen. So different edges are normal. Some are solid colored and look like a 90, some are 40's.

OP
OP
J

Jayanthonyr

Mar 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin master
whites bullseye II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
um...... pics?

my camera is terrible u can't see them....

The dates are 65 to 69....on most of them except one(looks the most worn) they look like silver on both sides and a very thin but copper looking line in the middle of them

OP
OP
J

Jayanthonyr

Mar 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin master
whites bullseye II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the ones with this line in the middle look like they've never been circulated...don't know if that matters

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't really be too concerned, members here who have seen a decent amount of 40% will tell you that they can almost look clad, all the way to looking like a 90%er. They are really inconsistent.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you should be too worried, I have only come across 1 fake silver half dollar in the hundreds i've found. Generally high quality AU halves(almost uncirculated) have a thicker "pinkish" rim to them due to the copper blend.
hope this eases your mind a bit :)

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
40%ers are technically silver clad. I have a few that have copper in the rim. Very easy to miss. I'm sure you're fine with your coins

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They won't have a solid silver edge despite what was said earlier.

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Try a sound test compared to the ones that you know are real.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They won't ALWAYS have a solid silver edge despite what was said earlier.
I added in "ALWAYS"

Some do, most dont... Some do have copper looking edges as well.

Sound check it?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my camera is terrible u can't see them....

The dates are 65 to 69....on most of them except one(looks the most worn) they look like silver on both sides and a very thin but copper looking line in the middle of them

Thats exactly what a nearly uncirculated example of a 40%er should look like.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I found a really nice '69 today and the rim didnt look silver at all- my 7yr old kept saying Dad that's not silver-

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With them being in very nice condition i would most certainly check them for errors on front and back, may find yourself a nice little gem =)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread