What's new

Need some help for Diggers show

well guy,I have to apologize about my previous statement saying that you are damaging the hobby. You handle criticism well. But the simple fact remains that ANY attention to what we do is negative right now.
I know that doesn't mean much to you, because your focus is on the show,but please try to keep it in mind.
 
i think the consensus was that a television show about metal detecting just wouldn't be entertaining enough to sustain that much of a following. the two shows are obvious failures with one bieng a complete embarrassment. i also believe your questions, which were asked in your first post of your thread, were answered. my suggestion is stick to what your successful in. you said you have youtube vids, shirts and dvd's so why don't you stick with that. you don't have to prove anything about yourselves to us because it seems the majority of us don't care. i just think you didn't like some of the comments that were said and took them to heart.
i'll also stick with my original suggestion in not having a metal detecting show at all. it's pretty much un-neccesary. there is no such thing as reality in reality shows. even some of the originals like survivor and the real world were all scripted. so there's no point to them.
and whether you believe it or not, television holds a great influence on the general public. and yes i also like to watching things about what we do but it's a hobby. there's gotta be other things in your life besides work and metal detecting.
you should take all replys lightly and with a grain of salt. and tell your producer buddies the idea might be a lost cause.
 
Last edited:
First off I didnt just start coming here to get info for the show, I have been on this forum for longer than most of the haters have been here. Im not looking for anything special, I have had some very good PM's from people with great ideas, Im just trying to help out the producer in finding out what all people want to see as well as fellow detectorists. have said this many times and if any of nyou would do a little homework on anacondatreasure you would know that this isnt our first ball game, we havent just put out you tube vids and sold shirts we have sold metal detecting DVD's for over 6 years now and have a very close following of fans. We are not selling out or bringing unnessary light to our great hobby. We are just trying to entertain while we dig up some great stuff. No bombs or boom babys but yes we have our own way of doing it and it has worked for our 6 DVD series so why stop now. As for the geriatric population I love you all dearly, Thats why my ( real job ) is a nursing home administrator, just seems that most of the detectorists who say they have been detecting for like 45 years dont want to see any changes or crazy stuff when it comes to detecting They are afraid that someone wont let them look for new quarters at the local park anymore. some of you dont want to see any show at all but most do because like myself we just like to watch anything about what we do even if its an ex wrestler yelling boom baby, ill still watch. Gold prospecting on my claims is a real possability for future shows. Anyway if any of you have an area in your neiborgood that just seems impossable to get permission for and has some great history to it shoot me a line and I will get your info to the producer. Thanks again all... :0)
I have said before i have all the dvd's you have put out... And enjoy them ..... But your show was as not as good as your dvd's were........ And i really don't like the name geriatric even tho i am 71 ........ And change don't bother me were do you get these ideas...... I am 71 and still drive tractor trailer trucks part time because i love to drive.... I pass all my test to drive every year............ you are putting all us senior's in one group ...........
I feel like i am 50 and as for nursing homes to me they should all be put out of busniess........I will not even go in one to visit some one.... No matter what they look like on the out side they are disgusting on the inside....... And you say i like old people for i work in a nursing home .......... But as a nursing home adiministrator you make big bucks that is why you are there.........And at 4 am i am leaving in the semi truck for a 377 mile round trip to Buffalo New York.....Th deliver a load of Plants & Trees ... I just love that truck..
 
Last edited:
OMG!! not all nursing homes are bad. I take pride in the fact that I run the best nursing home in the buisness, I would do anything for my residents and they will attest to that, Just because your 71 and feel like 50 doesent mean that you will never need one, we have so many people that depend on us just to get out of bed every day and make sure that they have a quality of life. Just because the news likes to focus only on bad nursing home stories dowsent mean that they are all bad. We are strictly regulated more so than those fancy assisted living places who dont even have to have certified people working for them. If there is one thing that I am more pasionate about than metal detecting its working in this field. Not everyone will need a nursing home but most will and its up to us to make it a pleasant experiance. Not to bring up mortality but do you acctually think that you have a better chance of just not waking up one morning or is it more concivable that you may have a stroke and need some nursing home therapy to get you back on the road? Ugh!




I have said before i have all the dvd's you have put out... And enjoy them ..... But your show was as not as good as your dvd's were........ And i really don't like the name geriatric even tho i am 71 ........ And change don't bother me were do you get these ideas...... I am 71 and still drive tractor trailer trucks part time because i love to drive.... I pass all my test to drive every year............ you are putting all us senior's in one group ...........
I feel like i am 50 and as for nursing homes to me they should all be put out of busniess........I will not even go in one to visit some one.... No matter what they look like on the out side they are disgusting on the inside....... And you say i like old people for i work in a nursing home .......... But as a nursing home adiministrator you make big bucks that is why you are there.........And at 4 am i am leaving in the semi truck for a 377 mile round trip to Buffalo New York.....Th deliver a load of Plants & Trees ... I just love that truck..
 
MG I have to agree with the others that watching someone else metal detect just is not inherently interesting and as such just showing what most of us do on a normal hunt is not going to make interesting TV even with goofy terminology and a loser does something crazy during the show is not going to make it so. I do think you could do something to make the show watchable but it is going to add a lot of preproduction effort to the show. The thing that makes finds interesting is the historical context of the finds - being able to tie a certain find with a by gone person or event. However to do that you guys are going to need to a lot more research on the sites you want to dig for the show. Someone is going to have to find out about the individuals who lost the stuff you are digging and then tie the finds to them.

for example say you guys have an old homestead site out in your neck of the woods. Find out who settled that property, research them and see if you can find a diary or something explaining why the moved there and were willing to put up with the effort it took to carve homes out of the wilderness. Find stuff that you can tie to them hopefully stuff that we don't use any longer so that something about a lost part of life in olden times can be shown. Of course this is going to take a lot of research to find a good site to show and then to find out about the people who lived there. Then you have to find stuff that can be researched and tied to those people. Then you guys can get excited about finding something like part of a Henry repeating rifle that the homesteader probably owned, or even an everyday domestic item from the period that his wife may have used. In other words use your finds to tell the story of the people or events that the finds were used by or in.

But just showing up at some site, digging up some typical targets, even if they are nice keepers by normal detecting standards and then showing them with inflated values is not going to keep the show on the air, or gain the respect of the detecting community. The point about Chicago Ron was a well made one. He came across as much more interesting than you guys did because his passion and excitement about finding historical items really came across well. You guys didn't really seem like you could care less about what you dug up as long as you could get more cash than the other guy so you could avoid doing what ever nasty thing you came up with to punish the loser. That by itself cheapened the value of the finds and reduced them to being about a meaningful as a dollar bill.
 
...As for the geriatric population I love you all dearly, Thats why my ( real job ) is a nursing home administrator, just seems that most of the detectorists who say they have been detecting for like 45 years dont want to see any changes or crazy stuff when it comes to detecting They are afraid that someone wont let them look for new quarters at the local park anymore...

Oh, that's rich.. Somebody get a fork, because this thread is pretty much done.
 
Typically reality shows seem to due well once you bring in a big pair of boobs..... but since the show already has that....(LOLZ....get it?)

Its just a goofy show.... like the rest of reality TV. I watch the stuff for the same reason I watch the Indianapolis 500... so I can watch things go wrong and come apart at the seams.
 
I like the fact that the neat old things we dig up have a story behind it. Like the old token that was used at the general store or the countless other items that were used discarded or lost and now found again. Its not about the monetary value of an item. It's part of someones life from the past. When you recover something neat think about the last time someone held it, used it or lost it. What was going on in their life? By finding these items we bring a part of that person and the past back to life.
 
I still don't get it. Finally a show comes on that involves my favorite hobby and people piss and moan. Are these the same water heads that watch "Pawn Stars", "Hillbilly Handfishing", and "Doomsday Preppers"? It just seems that people are becoming quite the paranoid alarmists. Is the show perfect? No it isn't...but is it better than watching most of the sedative forced down our throats lately? I would say yes. Just my take.
 
Stop treating metal detecting as for profit and not telling about the fun of wondering what that Beep is. Do more on showing the type detector themselves and showing how a detector works.
 
I still don't get it. Finally a show comes on that involves my favorite hobby and people piss and moan. Are these the same water heads that watch "Pawn Stars", "Hillbilly Handfishing", and "Doomsday Preppers"? It just seems that people are becoming quite the paranoid alarmists. Is the show perfect? No it isn't...but is it better than watching most of the sedative forced down our throats lately? I would say yes. Just my take.

I even like seeing old news clips with Police using a 2 Box Fisher Gemini and trying to find bullet casings :BangHead: lol
makes me wonder did cops solve cases back then ? & how :tongue3:

& even watching according to jim & watching Andy Detect
jims yard and leave it looking like a mine field :laughing7:

However when they do a show that they actually fool allot of people into
thinking is reality, I Do prefer the cast act like adults[h=1][/h]
 
I even like seeing old news clips with Police using a 2 Box Fisher Gemini and trying to find bullet casings :BangHead: lol
makes me wonder did cops solve cases back then ? & how :tongue3:

& even watching according to jim & watching Andy Detect
jims yard and leave it looking like a mine field :laughing7:

However when they do a show that they actually fool allot of people into
thinking is reality, I Do prefer the cast act like adults

I think that is true more with American Diggers then Diggers. Hell I even like seeing that cheesy Whites commercial on TV, you know the one "She's proud of the weight I've lost...and she's really proud of this".
 
I still don't get it. Finally a show comes on that involves my favorite hobby and people piss and moan. Are these the same water heads that watch "Pawn Stars", "Hillbilly Handfishing", and "Doomsday Preppers"? It just seems that people are becoming quite the paranoid alarmists. Is the show perfect? No it isn't...but is it better than watching most of the sedative forced down our throats lately? I would say yes. Just my take.

I'm gonna have to disagree, but I'll tell ya why. Most folks are already a little leery when a stranger comes to the door and asks to dig holes in their yard to look for old coins. But if they had just watched American Digger and saw the heavy equipment, the digging up water lines, etc, they are definitely not going to feel any better. Also, since the show started there have been a lot more people get into metal detecting. In the past month or so I have seen more new members on this site as well as others than ever before. Now, I am not against new people coming into the hobby, as long as they do it right. What I am seeing is people taking up the hobby because of what they think they can gain monetarily, and not taking time to learn how to pinpoint or dig proper holes. I have heard more reports in the past month of people coming across sloppy looking plugs and even open holes where the person didn't even try to fill it in, than I did all of last year combined. People like that will close areas pretty quick, and people like that are coming out of the woodwork because of some of these shows.

Shane
 
I'm gonna have to disagree, but I'll tell ya why. Most folks are already a little leery when a stranger comes to the door and asks to dig holes in their yard to look for old coins. But if they had just watched American Digger and saw the heavy equipment, the digging up water lines, etc, they are definitely not going to feel any better. Also, since the show started there have been a lot more people get into metal detecting. In the past month or so I have seen more new members on this site as well as others than ever before. Now, I am not against new people coming into the hobby, as long as they do it right. What I am seeing is people taking up the hobby because of what they think they can gain monetarily, and not taking time to learn how to pinpoint or dig proper holes. I have heard more reports in the past month of people coming across sloppy looking plugs and even open holes where the person didn't even try to fill it in, than I did all of last year combined. People like that will close areas pretty quick, and people like that are coming out of the woodwork because of some of these shows.

Shane

That may be true Shane, I haven't noticed it but it could be. I think the "Diggers" guys have the best of intentions with their show is all, and people are being quite rude to them. They are just detectorists like the rest of us only they have a show. I guess I am in the minority for preferring to watch this over most of the other rubbish on TV.
 
Stop treating metal detecting as for profit and not telling about the fun of wondering what that Beep is. Do more on showing the type detector themselves and showing how a detector works.
You see sandman to see that all we have to do is watch youtube or the videos that the detector companys put out.... or go to bart's big boy hobbies....web site
 
Last edited:
That may be true Shane, I haven't noticed it but it could be. I think the "Diggers" guys have the best of intentions with their show is all, and people are being quite rude to them. They are just detectorists like the rest of us only they have a show. I guess I am in the minority for preferring to watch this over most of the other rubbish on TV.

In all fairness to the "Diggers" guys, I have not seen that one so I shouldn't lump them into the same category. I have seen American Digger though, and it's a joke. He has a website all about exposing fake civil war relics, yet he stars in a completely fake "reality" show. They are supposed to be real detectorists, yet they swing their shiny new machines like pendulums. And find thousands of dollars worth of relics every time they go out.
 
I actually saw this show for the first time last night and I did not think it was that bad. Maybe because I'd already seen American Diggers and that was such a sad joke my expectations were low but for whatever reason I did not mind Diggers. I've only seen one episode so I won't say I like it yet but it has potential. I could do without the stupid lingo but it's their show and they're having fun. They could show more of the process but what they showed was accurate. They kneel down to dig a target with a lesche. No jack hammers or backhoes. True the values they quote might be a little high but they're not a joke like the other show.
The biggest hurdle they face is that I do not think they can make a show that both detectorist and the general public will like. Each group has different things they want to see. Detectorists want to see things done the 'correct' way. They want to see the process from beginning to end. The want to hear the story. The general public on the other hand just wants to see what came out of the hole. They just want to hear what it is worth. They could care less how or even if you fill in your hole.
For the show to appeal to both groups they will have to incorporate elements that both want. Not on all recoveries but some times show the complete dig. Explain proper technique. You need to show values but keep them reasonable. The do need to find something valuable occasionally. This is what people want to see.
One idea for an episode could be they are hunting on a beach and a young, good looking couple approaches them. He is buff, she is stacked in a small bikini (how else can you get sex appeal into a metal detecting show :-)). She just lost her wedding set and asks the guys to help find it. This incorporates a lot of elements that would appeal to both groups.
 
I actually saw this show for the first time last night and I did not think it was that bad. Maybe because I'd already seen American Diggers and that was such a sad joke my expectations were low but for whatever reason I did not mind Diggers. I've only seen one episode so I won't say I like it yet but it has potential. I could do without the stupid lingo but it's their show and they're having fun. They could show more of the process but what they showed was accurate. They kneel down to dig a target with a lesche. No jack hammers or backhoes. True the values they quote might be a little high but they're not a joke like the other show.
The biggest hurdle they face is that I do not think they can make a show that both detectorist and the general public will like. Each group has different things they want to see. Detectorists want to see things done the 'correct' way. They want to see the process from beginning to end. The want to hear the story. The general public on the other hand just wants to see what came out of the hole. They just want to hear what it is worth. They could care less how or even if you fill in your hole.
For the show to appeal to both groups they will have to incorporate elements that both want. Not on all recoveries but some times show the complete dig. Explain proper technique. You need to show values but keep them reasonable. The do need to find something valuable occasionally. This is what people want to see.
One idea for an episode could be they are hunting on a beach and a young, good looking couple approaches them. He is buff, she is stacked in a small bikini (how else can you get sex appeal into a metal detecting show :-)). She just lost her wedding set and asks the guys to help find it. This incorporates a lot of elements that would appeal to both groups.

Until they go to their local park and see a bunch of holes and realize what caused it and then lobby to have metal detecting banned in their town.
 
I agree Bill. I think they could have shown the screens of their At Pro's while going over a signal and not have worn their headphones so we could have heard the actual signals and not some stock At Pro sounds.
 
That may be true Shane, I haven't noticed it but it could be. I think the "Diggers" guys have the best of intentions with their show is all, and people are being quite rude to them. They are just detectorists like the rest of us only they have a show. I guess I am in the minority for preferring to watch this over most of the other rubbish on TV.

Yep Diggers is at least about Detecting.

American Diggers is a complete Farce. Nothing else.

There is another upside not mentioned that I've seen. strength in Numbers.
the more of us out there can not only hurt, it can also help, if done right.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom