What's new

Need some help for Diggers show

I dont like the show personally. But then again, I think ALL reality TV should be taken off the air and replaced with re runs of "Threes Company." (the episodes with Suzanne Sommers)

Especially get rid of "American Idol."
 
Last edited:
The show is hopefully going to be a different beast all together. There is talk about not putting values in it, But I assure you that the team is not into planting or scripting any content, If you have seen our facebook page you would know that we are having contests all the time, the current one is for who can find the most tootsie toys this year. We play jokes on eachother all the time. I have learned not to have Tim or George pick me up any food at Mcdonnald because I will always have a burger with a napkin hid in it. Or whan we go elk hunting make sure you check your backpack because they will put rocks in it to weigh you down. We have fun doing the thiungs we do stupid lingo and all so dont expect any changes in that area, but yes we hope for a more in depth show with all of the goodies. The first two shows were just to see if people were interested and they surley were, so hopefully we will see many more. as for making the show less boreing I have been watching Gold feaver for years as I am sure most of us have and find most to be very boreing until they start looking for the gold but I still keep watching because its about something I love. wouldnt you all agree with at least that? :icon_thumleft:
 
watch some chicago ron videos, thats what detecting should look like on tv!
 
Montana I am new to the hobby, it is something I have been interested in for years but just now have managed to get to where time and $ crossed over and I could make it happen. I have been learning my MXT Pro for about 3 months. So I am no expert in all things MD'ing..
I think you have a classic conundrum here with your show.
You are trying to find a way to take a hobby that requires an investment in a machine, an investment of time to learn the machine, and an investment in researching sites..and cull all of that down to it's bare bones, add in the moments of joy when you actually find something, and roll it into a TV show that will attract and hold the attention of a TV audience, many of whom have the attention span of an infant.
You and the folks here know exactly what goes in to doing this and doing it right, and being honest about the hobby and the effort it requires is not going to hold the attention span you need to make the show go.
As has been pointed out here, the people with years on their knees, fighting poison oak, spiders, snakes, etc, are not buying it.
Nor are they likely to, unless some reality is injected into the reality show.
Some basic advice, FWIW, YMMV, etc.

The show should represent the hard work...show some times you get turned down by a property owner. Show the aftermath of a hard day with no luck.
Not 20 minutes of no good finds, but 2 minutes of climbing into the truck after you guys struck out. Show some research time...like the public would do it..a couple minutes of library time looking through old maps and such.
Show a time or two when you dig a target and ye olde pull tab. We all swing at a bad pitch now and then, even your target audience needs to know. If you every once in a while show the strikeout when you hit a homer it'll be that much more entertaining and add meaning to the event.
You don't have to squeeze all of the above into one episode, but it all needs to get there, and bits of it need to be repeated...like the pull tab, as the occasional reminder as to the real world of MD'ing.
Frankly, I could care less about the jargon deal. I was a cop for 25 years, we have a language most civilians can't comprehend...and it changes regionally.
And, if I ever run into someone using your jargon I will know right away they are a rookie whether they cop out to it or not. The gag stuff between you and your pal is funny...once in a while. It isn't the core of the show, don't spend so much time on it. Make it infrequent, and it will hit the spot better.

On the finds...
You guys need to demonstrate the time-honored tradition of sharing the goodies with the private property owner. Go out of your way, on a semi-regular basis, to hunt a piece of land where there is a landowner involved whom you have sought from and been given permission to hunt. Then demonstrate the display of the finds and your offer of some of the spoils to the landowner.
I think one episode where you could demo going out and recovering a class ring or some such thing, and then put in the legwork to locate and return the item would be great. If that kind of chance ever comes along jump on it.
Keep the audience plugged in to what is going on in the background...the research, the time, talk about the property owner you are trying to find, the map you are looking for, show us what it is like to bust yer butt to get to a location...you can stretch that conversation over a couple of episodes and then the big event when you get there.

All of this...everything I have said...IMHO it will give you something very believable because it is close to what really happens.
It will also not become repetitive...it'll remain fresh. Keep the audience curious as to what you are working on, what you are doing, and where you are going.
Last...the $ values.
Find a honest coin dealer for the coins. Establish a regular relationship and use the same guy again and again. Give us something to believe, not some SWAG from some unknown. It is pretty simple to check your work with the internet, if the $ don't jive your, and the appraisers, accountability goes down the terlet.
On artifacts & relics.
Talk about them. Talk about waht you think they are, or what you KNOW they are IF you have irrefutable evidence of the identity of the item.
Let us know what you think it is, and leave it at that. If the audience really wants to know what it is let them do some research on the net themselves.
Then, take the item to a legit appraiser/historian/expert in field. Get him/her to evaluate, and put his/her name on the appraisal.
At the end of every show a 30 second deal where last weeks stuff is tabled with the identity and $ value given by the expert, along with the experts name.
If, on that super rare target that comes along now and then, a gun, whatever...something you could possibly really put a date on go into a brief history of the item, the times it came from, even pics of the factory it was built in, the kind of people that used it, the times they lived in.
Show us the way the item related to the people that used it.
Every time we pull that gizmo from the ground and touch something that hasn't been touched by human hands in 50,100, or more years the first thing we all think of is the person who last held it.
Help us get to know that person and the times he lived it.
That is the ultimate reality, IMHO.

Sorry for the long winded post. Hope it makes some sense.
 
Last edited:
You make some great points and I agree, also I enjoyed your statement about this hobby being something that you always thought of but never did. I hear that a ton from people and feel that this show will help aid that. How many people will watch and think "I have always wanted to do that." they then go and google metal detecting and eventually find these forums and start to learn what it intales and that there is work to be done. That is where we as forum members come in as aiding the new guys with learning this great hobby. Not everybody will take the initiave to learn the hobby but the seriouse people will. and those who dont take the time will fade out because they are tired of finding crap and they arent getting the instant gratification that they were expecting. I believe that with a few minor adjustments this will be a good thing and we as detectorists will meet even more great people in this hobby, and maybe have the fire power to fight the powers that be to let us dig up some of historys lost items.








Montana I am new to the hobby, it is something I have been interested in for years but just now have managed to get to where time and $ crossed over and I could make it happen. I have been learning my MXT Pro for about 3 months. So I am no expert in all things MD'ing..
I think you have a classic conundrum here with your show.
You are trying to find a way to take a hobby that requires an investment in a machine, an investment of time to learn the machine, and an investment in researching sites..and cull all of that down to it's bare bones, add in the moments of joy when you actually find something, and roll it into a TV show that will attract and hold the attention of a TV audience, many of whom have the attention span of an infant.
You and the folks here know exactly what goes in to doing this and doing it right, and being honest about the hobby and the effort it requires is not going to hold the attention span you need to make the show go.
As has been pointed out here, the people with years on their knees, fighting poison oak, spiders, snakes, etc, are not buying it.
Nor are they likely to, unless some reality is injected into the reality show.
Some basic advice, FWIW, YMMV, etc.

The show should represent the hard work...show some times you get turned down by a property owner. Show the aftermath of a hard day with no luck.
Not 20 minutes of no good finds, but 2 minutes of climbing into the truck after you guys struck out. Show some research time...like the public would do it..a couple minutes of library time looking through old maps and such.
Show a time or two when you dig a target and ye olde pull tab. We all swing at a bad pitch now and then, even your target audience needs to know. If you every once in a while show the strikeout when you hit a homer it'll be that much more entertaining and add meaning to the event.
You don't have to squeeze all of the above into one episode, but it all needs to get there, and bits of it need to be repeated...like the pull tab, as the occasional reminder as to the real world of MD'ing.
Frankly, I could care less about the jargon deal. I was a cop for 25 years, we have a language most civilians can't comprehend...and it changes regionally.
And, if I ever run into someone using your jargon I will know right away they are a rookie whether they cop out to it or not. The gag stuff between you and your pal is funny...once in a while. It isn't the core of the show, don't spend so much time on it. Make it infrequent, and it will hit the spot better.

On the finds...
You guys need to demonstrate the time-honored tradition of sharing the goodies with the private property owner. Go out of your way, on a semi-regular basis, to hunt a piece of land where there is a landowner involved whom you have sought from and been given permission to hunt. Then demonstrate the display of the finds and your offer of some of the spoils to the landowner.
I think one episode where you could demo going out and recovering a class ring or some such thing, and then put in the legwork to locate and return the item would be great. If that kind of chance ever comes along jump on it.
Keep the audience plugged in to what is going on in the background...the research, the time, talk about the property owner you are trying to find, the map you are looking for, show us what it is like to bust yer butt to get to a location...you can stretch that conversation over a couple of episodes and then the big event when you get there.

All of this...everything I have said...IMHO it will give you something very believable because it is close to what really happens.
It will also not become repetitive...it'll remain fresh. Keep the audience curious as to what you are working on, what you are doing, and where you are going.
Last...the $ values.
Find a honest coin dealer for the coins. Establish a regular relationship and use the same guy again and again. Give us something to believe, not some SWAG from some unknown. It is pretty simple to check your work with the internet, if the $ don't jive your, and the appraisers, accountability goes down the terlet.
On artifacts & relics.
Talk about them. Talk about waht you think they are, or what you KNOW they are IF you have irrefutable evidence of the identity of the item.
Let us know what you think it is, and leave it at that. If the audience really wants to know what it is let them do some research on the net themselves.
Then, take the item to a legit appraiser/historian/expert in field. Get him/her to evaluate, and put his/her name on the appraisal.
At the end of every show a 30 second deal where last weeks stuff is tabled with the identity and $ value given by the expert, along with the experts name.
If, on that super rare target that comes along now and then, a gun, whatever...something you could possibly really put a date on go into a brief history of the item, the times it came from, even pics of the factory it was built in, the kind of people that used it, the times they lived in.
Show us the way the item related to the people that used it.
Every time we pull that gizmo from the ground and touch something that hasn't been touched by human hands in 50,100, or more years the first thing we all think of is the person who last held it.
Help us get to know that person and the times he lived it.
That is the ultimate reality, IMHO.

Sorry for the long winded post. Hope it makes some sense.
 
my eyes hurt already with this post, could we kill it? :icon_pale:
 
Reminds me of the old joke were the guy goes to the doctor and say's "Doc my arm hurts when I do this!" and the doctor replies "Don't do that then!"
Maybe you should try the same solution???

Except in this case the patient replies "but that what I do, and I'm not going to change". Then he goes from doctor to doctor and refuses to listen the advice of "Don't do that then!"
 
Ive only seen the show once but i thought it was alright and id watch some of the reruns when they make there way back on...i watch ton on gold fever once in awhile but it gets boring after awhile ...gold is the same thing over and over so watching some history come out of the ground is alittle better imo
 
I think it’s a "huge" mistake to give up “value”, and here’s why. I appreciate the historical motivation as much as anyone, however, I’ll never play solely to that angle because it gives the very false impression that value isn’t a big part of why we do what we do, and that could cost you very dearly on down the road as new laws & restrictions are being considered. With all due respect, I have yet to find a single poster on this site who claims “I’m not in it for the value” who can’t tell you what the exact melt value is of the gold and silver he has found, or what this is worth, or that is worth. They all know what their items are worth….”Period”. Value is a very big part in what we do, all of us, and when you give the impression that it’s not also about value then you are going to get more push for new laws and restrictions based on that illusion. Keep “value” a part of your show and the image. Play it down, present it correctly and appropriately, but never give it up or we will eventually lose a great deal of the value in your hobby.
 
I refused to watch it then curiosity got the best of me . Should have gone with my first instinct. I will send you all the pull tabs I find maybe that will help fund this piece of crap of t.v. show. Killing the hobby IMHO . ROB
 
I am appreciative of the fact you took the time to read my novel, Montana...I hope you can use some of it.
If I happen to catch the show in the future and see some of my ideas put into play it'll have been worth the effort, LOL.
 
My recommendations:

A. Cancel the show
B. If "A" won't work, see below
C. Quit the silly antics
D. Lose the silly terminology NO ONE ever uses except the show clowns
E. Make it educational
F. See Sam 8's post above. He nailed it, otherwise.
 
I don't know if anybody has said it or not ,but respecting the homeowners property by showing proper digging techniques would go far to promote our hobby. I hear all the time ,You are not going to dig holes in my yard? Promoting the fact that we are not get rich quick people.
 
We are not going to change who we are. We say juice and roundness and have for years so were not gonna stop. We dont sell most of our finds but do sometimes to get rich quick. I just made 1500.00 on a teratorial token a few weeks ago and it was great. some of us would like to find a big pot of gold but in the mean time we will just look for that one thing we havent found yet. Truth is the detecting community is a very small part of the public that watched the premere and the people who dont like the show period is an even smaller group. Sure Im on here trying to change minds but I know that I cant change everyones. I am just trying to get a feel for what the diehards want to see, and I have accomplished that goal thanks to the civil posters. Thanks and keep finding roundness.
 
Please stop posting to this thread so he goes away :icon_thumleft:
 
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by GreenMeanie
Please stop posting to this thread so he goes away
icon_thumleft.gif




You first.

montanagold you are Very welcome here :occasion14:
 
Montana Gold, show me the stats! You are making claims that certain percentages of folks don't like the show, etc. Really? Show us! I think that you are desperately trying to plug the holes in a sinking ship. I understand that this show brings you guys a certain amount of income and no one wants to lose their gravy train. You all were probably misled by your producers who told you what they thought America wanted. They were deeply wrong. Your show's only saving grace is that there is actually a show out there worse than yours - American Diggers. Good luck with your endeavors. If they choose to film more episodes, you two need to have the guts to tell them what you will and will not do. And that includes alienating other relic hunters with your silly antics and unheard of terminology. It may be "cute" to make up your own terms but if you actually stepped away and listened to yourselves, well -- you'll figure it out.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom