🥇 BANNER NEVER In My Wildest Dreams Would I Have Ever Thought I'd Find A Cache of THESE!!!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
***EDIT*** Gold/Silver totals posted in comments on page 9

I'm still shaking as I'm typing this. My buddy Craig and I had some time to get out for a short hunt today. We went to an old home site we had hunted in the past. There was an 1840s house on that property that was demolished about 5 or 6 years ago. We were hoping to find some old coins or other interesting relics, but all we were really finding was junk. There is a ton of sheet aluminum at that site that always fools us. After searching the area where the front yard once was for about an hour, finding only junk and one wheat, I decided to go into the wooded area towards the back of the lot. I searched there for 20 minutes or so and found a small pocket spill of modern clad ($1.47) and some more junk. We were about ready to leave and go to another site when I got a very strong signal that was bouncing from 80 to 85 on the AT Pro. I dug a plug and rescanned the hole. It was still there. Looking closer, I could see the top of a zipper in the bottom of the hole. I dug around it and pulled out a very thick and heavy wallet! I could see some small round impressions on the side, so I just knew it was full of coins... But I was VERY WRONG!!! I tried to open the zipper, but it was so far corroded, that it wouldn't even budge. I took my knife and cut into the side of the zipper. When I pulled it back, I saw some SILVER AND GOLD RINGS staring back at me!! Craig and I were both at a loss for words. I poured a few of them on to my hand and snapped a pic. I really didn't want to open it out there, so I put the rings back in the wallet and went to show the property owner. He was very excited to see something like that, but had no idea how it would have ended up out there. He asked if he could have one, and I said "Of course!" He took one random ring on top. I didn't fully open the wallet until we got back to Craig's house. There were 104 rings total, including the one that I gave the land owner. Some of them are marked "10K", some are marked "14K", there is one marked "18K", and a bunch that are sterling. There is a really neat sterling buffalo ring in the mix too. I haven't cleaned them off yet, so I'll probably be pretty busy with that for the rest of the night. This is definitely a once in a lifetime find for me. Up until today, I had never even found a piece of gold in 20+ years of metal detecting. I can't even explain how I'm feeling right now. Anyway, that was one hell of a hunt! Thanks for looking and HH!

PF

Attachments

• rings1.jpg
    rings1.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 1,188
  • rings2.jpg
    rings2.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 1,441
  • rings4.jpg
    rings4.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 1,174
  • rings5.jpg
    rings5.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 1,046
  • rings6.jpg
    rings6.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 927
  • rings7.jpg
    rings7.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 967
  • rings8.jpg
    rings8.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 869
  • rings9.jpg
    rings9.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 917
  • rings10.jpg
    rings10.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,036
  • rings11.jpg
    rings11.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 839
  • rings12.jpg
    rings12.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 872
  • rings13.jpg
    rings13.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 890
Last edited:
Upvote 226

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
OMG!!! What a find, congratulations!

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok....I'm a relics guy but that one is a total banner. What an awesome find! Congratulations!

Timfromholland

Sep 4, 2017
Assen
Detector(s) used
Xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow realy awsome find how cool is that haha grats and have fun sprting and cleaning and sorting again lol

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quadruple WOW! Thats amazing. Cant wait to see the "after" pics. Looks like theres some nice ice on a few of them.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have I mentioned how absolutely amazing that is?!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome....but did he really have to take one for himself, that only left you with barely 100 rings.....jk

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never in your wildest dreams! That is usually the statement but today its a fact. You won the metal detecting lotto! Congrats and please post cleaned photos and tally? I love the WW2 veteran ring. Im thinking you deserve a banner as well. What not? That is a lot of rings.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner from me. Awsome find. Im as shocked as you are !! Pretty incredible. Wonder if its robbery loot/cache. 104 wow !!

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
banner for sure,find of a lifetime,yes,just wow,
get them clean and repost.
brad

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, this is what we all dream of while detecting. I predict a fast banner on this one. Super happy for you. :)

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A life time's worth of rings for most metal detectorists! Holy %@#*! I would lose consciousness at the sight of such a find! :notworthy:

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner from me. Awsome find. Im as shocked as you are !! Pretty incredible. Wonder if its robbery loot/cache. 104 wow !!

I'd like to think this bag of gold rings was buried by a fellow treasure hunter like us who operated back in the early days of metal detecting. He or she accumulated these rings in the course of his/her hobby back when there was no competition and every area was virgin ground full of finds. Never intending to sell any of the finds and simply enjoying the thrill of the hunt, this treasure hunter one day decided that it was time to burry the loot, just like the pirates who's stories the treasure hunter grew up on and dreamed about. And so the hunter buried the rings as a pirate would bury his loot and every day the hunter was happy that his treasure was buried and would one day be found by someone a long time later. The hunter may have even left clues or a map but we may never know as chance and dedication of a new hunter led to the discovery this time instead. Just a theory. :)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread