What's new

New Field...Hotspot.... Hit the SILVER CELTIC

CRUSADER

Emerald Member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
41,308
Reaction score
48,556
Golden Thread
27
Location
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
27
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We travelled back to the hotspot we found yesterday to continue our gridding.

The roman coins were less concentrated but we still got 17 in 5 hours (10 man hours). Picked up plenty of roman tesseri, all large reworked roofing tiles. This floor would have been a basic practical one for the industrial workers. I was really hoping for a Roman Silver Coin of this site, later I realised these workers would not be carry to many of these around. Its not the same as a normal Villa site.

As I was teasing Dad that I didn't care that he is 8 to my 5 roman coins, because I'm going to get the nice Roman Silver, (We finished with a score of 9 / 8 to me) I dug a CELTIC SILVER :o :

TASCIOVANUS - 10BC-20AD - Winged Horse Left, Griffin right In great condition as well. This makes up for 20 roman silver at least. Its my 3rd Celtic Coin this year (2 silver, 1 gold)!

2 Roman Brooches
1 Roman pinhead
My first Roman Phallic Pendant
Celtic fittment - whatzit
Stunning part of a Norman hawking swivell (might be early med, but I'm betting on Norman) - Rare
My first Coin of NERO AD67
I very nice crotal bell

What a difference a weekend on the right field makes. The crop will be showing soon, so today maybe it for awhile. :'(
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    49.1 KB · Views: 637
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    86.1 KB · Views: 631
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    49.5 KB · Views: 620
  • 4.webp
    4.webp
    40.3 KB · Views: 627
  • 5.webp
    5.webp
    59.2 KB · Views: 619
  • 6.webp
    6.webp
    64.5 KB · Views: 624
  • 7.webp
    7.webp
    41.8 KB · Views: 592
  • 8.webp
    8.webp
    55.6 KB · Views: 587
  • 9.webp
    9.webp
    42.1 KB · Views: 588
  • 10.webp
    10.webp
    43.9 KB · Views: 581
Upvote 0
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Awesome, and then some! Well done! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
PBK said:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Awesome, and then some! Well done! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks, the only problem with fields like this, it makes it hard to go back to the normal grind.
 
CRUSADER said:
Thanks, the only problem with fields like this, it makes it hard to go back to the normal grind.

Right. Probably have to settle for a few lousy "modern" sovereigns next time!
 
Jsut amazing Crusader and tell your dad to keep up to the good work, too.

SKD
 
Spectacular as usual Crusader...Normal, your finds are always far from "normal". Keep it up. Love you posts. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
how much are those old coins worth? what are they, and are they only in europe?
 
chatking6969 said:
how much are those old coins worth? what are they, and are they only in Europe?

If you mean the Iron Age (Celtic) silver unit, then its worth about £150-£200. This coin was only produced for the Catuvelluni Tribe, didn't make it to Europe as such. Although some early Celtic Coins were imported into Britain.

or if you mean how much were they worth at the time:
The Celts did not have a monetary system. They used a barter system, coins were used at the highest levels by the Chieftains to gain political persuasion or pay mercenaries, also Druids used them in ritual activities. After all the average Iron Age man couldn't eat gold or silver.
 
CRUSADER said:
chatking6969 said:
how much are those old coins worth? what are they, and are they only in Europe?

If you mean the Iron Age (Celtic) silver unit, then its worth about £150-£200. This coin was only produced for the Catuvelluni Tribe, didn't make it to Europe as such. Although some early Celtic Coins were imported into Britain.

or if you mean how much were they worth at the time:
The Celts did not have a monetary system. They used a barter system, coins were used at the highest levels by the Chieftains to gain political persuasion or pay mercenaries, also Druids used them in ritual activities. After all the average Iron Age man couldn't eat gold or silver.


ohhhhhhhh. Its very neat. I see alot of people in Britain popping those things out the ground. What does your modern money look like?
 
chatking6969 said:
CRUSADER said:
chatking6969 said:
how much are those old coins worth? what are they, and are they only in Europe?

If you mean the Iron Age (Celtic) silver unit, then its worth about £150-£200. This coin was only produced for the Catuvelluni Tribe, didn't make it to Europe as such. Although some early Celtic Coins were imported into Britain.

or if you mean how much were they worth at the time:
The Celts did not have a monetary system. They used a barter system, coins were used at the highest levels by the Chieftains to gain political persuasion or pay mercenaries, also Druids used them in ritual activities. After all the average Iron Age man couldn't eat gold or silver.


ohhhhhhhh. Its very neat. I see alot of people in Britain popping those things out the ground. What does your modern money look like?

don't know I never find any & bank cards are a lot lighter to carry.
 
Crusader..You always find the best ancient coins. Thanks for sharing with us Yanks who will never have the pleasure!
 
Big congrats. I was guessing for roman silver today but im not sorry i was wrong. That celtic is super :thumbsup:
 
Wow................ :P
 
Crusader, I've decided since I'm not getting out much lately, so obviously not find much, I'm going to detect vicariously through your finds. So from now on when I see your posts I will take some of the credit and uphold my new obligation to answer the forums questions using my vast knowledge of ancient finds. :D

I am very happy with my Celtic silver today! :thumbsup:

Now we just have to find more early military buttons! ;D
 
Well my friend you are HOT.Keep going.Very Very nice job you did. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
More astounding stuff from Old Blighty. I hope you get to hit the place again before the crop stops you.

Thanks for the elucidation about how the Celts used coins, too.
 
That Celtic Silver is Incredible! Such a great design on it--that interesting Mythical Beast. Awesome! I hope you celebrated at the pub after that one. :thumbsup:



-Buckleboy
 
What an awesome field! Congrats on all the great finds, that Celtic is a beauty. HH, Mike
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom