New member to the site with First Silver Ring Find

ShortbusElite

Jun 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello TNet, I am a new member to the forum. I have been reading the forum for the past few months but I haven't found anything notable to post up. That all changed today. I had a little free time to get out with the new AT Pro today to learn the machine a little bit more. I used the machine for seven days last week down in the northern panhandle of Florida. I didn't manage to get my coil over anything of value but I got a lot of real world experience with the machine. I was initially worried that the AT wouldn't work well down there in the sand and close to the water but after trying it myself, I can vouch that it does in fact do well in those conditions. I found a lot of modern clad down there both in and out of the surf. No jewelry on that trip though. Now back to today. I decided to throw my new 5x8 coil on and search in my front yard. I recovered 6 modern pennies, several pieces of can slaw, 2 pulltabs, 2 bottlecaps, and a few other random pieces of trash before I finally made a nice find. About four inches down, right next to a sidewalk that runs through my front yard I dug this ring. I am unsure of the stone in it but several people that have seen it tell me it is a garnet. I am curious of the age of this ring. Can anybody date this thing for me? It doesn't look ancient to me but it doesn't look brand new either. Thanks for checking my post out and I look forward to posting here on the forum.

Ring PIC Resized.jpg Ring PIC2 Resized.jpg

Upvote 18

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very pretty ring, congrats on your first! :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

Not so good with rings, so can't date it for you.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TNET & congrats on your nice ring - clad & other finds - anyway thank you for sharing your pictures and story with all of us & I wish you many more great finds while out dirt fishing.

Texas ED

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet. Congrats on the ring

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be garnet or corundum. Could even be a ruby but not likely. You don't often see real rubies set in silver but it does happen. Anything is possible. Either way it's a really nice ring and it looks like it may have some age to it. Congrats.

Last edited:

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Can you tell us what it says inside? Welcome to the forum

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome. Nice ring. Looks vintage.

OP
OP
ShortbusElite

ShortbusElite

Jun 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure can ScubaDetector. It has a large "8" stamp and also a "FAS925" stamp on the inside of the band.

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the TNet family! Beautiful ring! Looks Victorian in style, but that doesn't give an age because they still make them today like that. I take my rings to one of my local jewelers, they will look at them and tell me if the stones are real and any information they know for free, check around, I'm sure you can find one that will do the same for you. I've been swinging my yard for three years and I'm still finding stuff, and it's less than 1/4 acre. Continued good luck to you.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well the letters could stand for two different meanings. The first one is Fused Alloy Silver. However I think it could be the second.

There was a company called Fantastic Antique Silver. They made newer rings with the old style. The reason I say that is MOST antique silver especially rings say sterling. 925 was not used on rings very often before the 1960's. I have found over 500 silver rings. Most of them say sterling. The newer ones are marked 925.

So I am believing your ring was made after 1960 but made by a company that specialized in the antique look.

Remember, this is an edumicated guess!!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and congratulations on a real beauty of a ring. You will find that the grassy edges of sidewalks, paved paths, running paths, and school tracks are excellent places to hunt with your ATPro for jewelry. Sub 8-)

OP
OP
ShortbusElite

ShortbusElite

Jun 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the info ScubaDetector. My house was built in 1961 so I didn't think it could be too old. Maybe I will take it to a jeweler to get the stone identified sometime.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't have to be old to be an Awesome find, Sweet ring and Welcome to T-net!!

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet.........and that's a handsome introductory piece of jewelry!!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I second scubas info.the style mimics victorian but surely a reproduction.a sweet find to be sure...congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread