newby night detecting (stupid, got the fever)

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An old house in the woods was knocked down I wanted to hunt the site but no trespassing signs up etc... So yours truly decides I am going to metal detect that site at night(1st time ever). So i leave my house at 4:30 figured I would still be able to see in the woods, WRONG!!!!!!! Still the fever (metal detecting) is raging, telling me I am going to detect this property no matter what. Well I could see very little, I thought my screen lit up when it detected something(wrong again) and me with no flashlight. UGGG. I stumbled around for ten minutes, really had no hits, fell flat on my face when my foot got hung on a piece of something that I did see but still managed to trip on. Then to top it off I dropped my pinpointer, had a mad scramble for about three minutes before I found it(man that was close). At that point in time I figured I had my treasure(pinpointer) not easily found in the dark, called it a night after that. NEEDLESS TO SAY I WILL BE BACK THERE TOMORROW AT 3:00 WITH A FLASHLIGHT, OH THE SHAME, LOL. You all be careful out there and try to keep that md disease in check, I apparently have already lost the battle. HH

I had to clean my screen after reading this. Thanks for the laugh! Sorry to laugh at your expense, but I was the very same way years ago!

Good tale, but you're lucky worse than momentarily losing a pinpointer didn't happen.
You trespassed. Not good.
Peace ✌

I don't think its a good idea to do that. Have you tried contacting the owner? If you don't know who it is you can email your areas tax assessor with a google earth image and he/she should be able to give you the owners name and address. You don't want to make a bad name for yourself and the hobby, not to mention its kinda illegal...

Hope everyone has a great evening.
I gotta log out. Going "nighthawking".
Peace ✌

yes a newbie might get the urge to go poaching but its not worth it. you will be uncomfortable the whole time and if you did find anything you will feel like you stole it, and really you have, tresspassing signs equals charges , try getting up with the owners some people are cool others are not, i would rather have a "yes" or "no" then have to look over my shoulder and wonder if a shotgun or a cop is gonna pop in my face. Good luck and please dont do anything to get arrested.

Besides getting shot didnt you think of the possibility of falling into a well.

What do you think you are doing ? Mushrooming ? Um... you give MD people a bad name by doing this and why new laws are passed concerning MDing...
If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem.

I hope this is a joke and if not plz don't go back for your own sake as you could risk more than a pin pointer. Ask yourself what a cop is going to see in limited light..you standing there with something long, metallic in hand shovel/ detector and he isn't going to be happy at that point. Plus as others have stated and have to agree it does make us look bad. You have caught the MD bug but self medicate and control the urges.

OUCH! I knew these comments were coming, and rightfully so. There are enough opportunities available to do it the right way, for your own good as well as for the reputation of our hobby. Have your fun, but please do it safely and legally.

I had a very good spot I was working a few years ago, nice people too. I went out there a few months later and these really nice people said they decided they didn't want anyone on their property any more. We had been relatively friendly so I asked them if something had happened, yep, they had caught a couple of guys detecting at night, without permission. Messed up what I had hoped would be a good relationship.

These guys were lucky, most people get a bit funny about nighttime trespassers, as would I.

I guess the sand traps at Trumps course are off limits. I dont know why cause they cant play golf at night. Damit Jim

sent from a sending device.

just go online and see if the property is listed to be sold for tax lien.when the county takes ownership it is a reasonable arguement that it is publically owned untill resold.At least there is an arguement.may not be a free pass but at least there is not a private property issue and armed with a printout you will prolly just be asked to discontinue and leave.

good luck

Seek & find, a few observations:

a) you need to pick full-ish moon nights. And cloudless nights, so that the clouds aren't obscuring the moon-light. And then you'll have enough moonlight to see where you are walking and swinging. Also pay attention to "moon-rise" and "moon-set" times. Because, just because a moon is a "full-moon" night, doesn't mean that the moon doesn't RISE till later. Like 10pm or whatever. Then you're in total blackness for the first several hours. Doh!

b) No, don't bring a flashlight. Well, I mean, don't turn them on for anything other than to look at the dates on coins or whatever. Because if you try to use a head-lamp, flashlight, or back-lit screen WHILE detecting, the following phenomenom will happen: Your eyes will become adjust to *just* that beam of light. You will become blind to everything else around you, outside of that beam. So much better to let your eyes adjust to the moon-light. Also, go figure, if you're waving light around all night, you're going to attract attention, scrutiny, etc.... from anyone who sees the light.

c) You're posting this on a family friendly forum. So go-figure you're going to get scolded for saying out-loud that you were hopping fences. I mean, there's guys on here who think you need permission to hunt public sandboxes "lest you be at risk of arrest", blah blah. So ... go figure, how much more so someone coming on and telling a story like yours? Doh!

Seek & find, a few observations:

a) you need to pick full-ish moon nights. And cloudless nights, so that the clouds aren't obscuring the moon-light. And then you'll have enough moonlight to see where you are walking and swinging. Also pay attention to "moon-rise" and "moon-set" times. Because, just because a moon is a "full-moon" night, doesn't mean that the moon doesn't RISE till later. Like 10pm or whatever. Then you're in total blackness for the first several hours. Doh!

b) No, don't bring a flashlight. Well, I mean, don't turn them on for anything other than to look at the dates on coins or whatever. Because if you try to use a head-lamp, flashlight, or back-lit screen WHILE detecting, the following phenomenom will happen: Your eyes will become adjust to *just* that beam of light. You will become blind to everything else around you, outside of that beam. So much better to let your eyes adjust to the moon-light. Also, go figure, if you're waving light around all night, you're going to attract attention, scrutiny, etc.... from anyone who sees the light.

c) You're posting this on a family friendly forum. So go-figure you're going to get scolded for saying out-loud that you were hopping fences. I mean, there's guys on here who think you need permission to hunt public sandboxes "lest you be at risk of arrest", blah blah. So ... go figure, how much more so someone coming on and telling a story like yours? Doh!

A public sandbox and private property with posted "no trespassing" signs are very different things.

I agree with your points "a' and "b", when hunting a park or private property (that I have PERMISSION to hunt). Night hunting is actually very peaceful.

I also agree with what others have said before, many good hunting sites are now off limits due to guys sneaking in and trespassing. I kind of wonder if the OP is just trolling on here?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back