What's new

NM warns treasure hunters: Finders are not keepers

Ace350

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2012
Messages
551
Reaction score
171
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure hunters can Google the Antiquities Act they will see how it's being interpreted by whatever bureaucrat wants, The actual Act as written gives us a lot more wiggle room as I read it. To reinterpret a law w/o congress should be challenged.
The Forrest Service, BLM, and the States allow anyone with a buck to have there way with public lands.Even foreign corporates. Just not the citizens.

If someone finds Finn's treasure nothing requires them to say anything. I might drop Finn and email anonymously.
 
Last edited:
I wonder how an Easter egg hunt fits into this nonsense.
 
wow ace, that's just crazy. But oddly, I can see the public officials point-of-view, when they say:

"Even if it is not buried and it is just placed somewhere it becomes public domain."


If you wanted to get "down-right-technical", this probably is true. I mean, there has ALWAYS been rules and laws that forbid "harvesting" "taking" "collecting" "removing", and so forth, RIGHT? Now the OBVIOUS intention of such rules is so that no numbskull thinks he can go taking the trees, or harvesting the turf in the park for use in his own garden, or taking the swing-sets, or sawing down limbs of trees for firewood at the down-town park, and so forth. Right? I mean, duh, the laws saying such things pre-date metal detectors afterall.

And why can a public entity get away with such verbage, because as that link says: technically, park features belong to the govt., NOT just any yahoo who comes up and starts taking things. You know the old addage that if a beach is pretty because of a certain peculiar pretty stones found there ........ that if "everyone came up and took just one rock home, then very soon, the beach would no longer be "pretty" ".

So technically speaking, such verbage can apply even down to singular coins, rings, pulltabs, etc... Heck they can apply to arrest your 4 yr. old daughter if she picks up a pretty sea-shell off the beach, if you asked enough lawyers "can I?".

And even if you or I try to counter-argue that the object doesn't necessarily belong the govt., but instead belongs to the person who lost it (the rolex, the diamond ring, or whatever), then THAT only opens up ANOTHER can of worms, that it's STILL not "yours", no matter how you look at it.

So if any of us is bothered by such "connect-the-dots" reality, and if anyone of us thinks he can abide by all laws while partaking of this hobby, you are sorely mistaken. Anytime you go out, there's probably 5 or 6 laws you've broken, even at the most mundane innocuous sandbox.

The REALITY is though, that no one cares when you and I ply the beach and keep the trinkets and coins we find, right? But sure, if you asked enough archies, lawyers, and desk-bound bureaucrats "can I keep this for my own fun and enjoyment?", what do you THINK they will be obliged to say?

Thus I put little stock in legal fears proposed in stories like this. If the day comes that things like this make me have fear or pause, is the day you and I might as well give it up now, and choose another hobby. Because I assure you: that article is probably right, that anything in the park, is a part of the park, NOT for you to enrich yourself "at the public's expense". I say that in jest, because I FULLY intend to not stop, and keep detecting. Why? Because no one cares except a few ivory tower archies interviewed for some d*mb story, who will never see me, nor care, unless I ask them "can I ?"
 
You know what they say down home....sssshhhh!
 
The government can issue a Treasure Trove Permit. However, I do not believe they will. Besides that I believe the Forrest Finn Treasure is located in Yellowstone National Park. Than again the Forrest Finn Treasure story may be just a story. I believe the forgoing to be true. However, I enjoyed "THE THRILL OF THE CHASE. CRAZY OLD MAN
 
I would tell the authorities to take a flying f--- at a rolling donut.
Jim
 
Duplicate post
 
That was worth saying twice.

Thanks, Bob. I like New Mexico, but governments generally suck...LOL I lived at Las Cruces when i was 5....about 64 years ago...Ha! My younger brother has lived at Los Lunas for many years. I've always wanted to poke around NM, but just haven't found the time.
Jim
 
Thanks, Bob. I like New Mexico, but governments generally suck...LOL I lived at Las Cruces when i was 5....about 64 years ago...Ha! My younger brother has lived at Los Lunas for many years. I've always wanted to poke around NM, but just haven't found the time.
Jim
New Mexico is a communist state, too bad it would be great without the democrats wanting to control everything.
 
Maybe now that frau lujan got weed legalized and some of her buddies set up as distributors she will be pocketing enough and she will leave us alone for a while.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom