What's new

North East Florida Treasure....Please help me identify these coins...

AdamBuchanan

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2010
Messages
85
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
Keystone Heights, FL
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, a few days ago, I hunted an old camp in North Florida , in past hunts I've found silver quarters, silver dimes, and rings due to the high usage of the camp .. I hit an area in which I dug five coins in which I know are old however cannot date them.. I went back today with my dad .. he found 9 more of these type coins in which we have no idea how old they are.. Here are the five from the first hunt a few days ago..there are single photos of the best coins that my dad found today.. I hunt with the PRL whites, my dad uses the Whites Eagle SL II, any and all help would be great..
 

Attachments

  • untitled-20-1.webp
    untitled-20-1.webp
    7.2 KB · Views: 2,073
  • untitled-1-1.webp
    untitled-1-1.webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 2,939
  • untitled-6-1.webp
    untitled-6-1.webp
    6.1 KB · Views: 2,932
  • untitled-5-1.webp
    untitled-5-1.webp
    11.4 KB · Views: 2,919
  • untitled-4-1.webp
    untitled-4-1.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 2,936
  • untitled-3-1.webp
    untitled-3-1.webp
    17.3 KB · Views: 2,892
  • untitled-8-1.webp
    untitled-8-1.webp
    7.2 KB · Views: 2,916
  • untitled-9-1.webp
    untitled-9-1.webp
    6.6 KB · Views: 2,875
CRUSADER said:
trixie charger said:
CRUSADER said:
trixie charger said:
Don,

Myself and Eric are just trying to help by suggesting other possibility's, abet a long stretch but I have found you never know the truth until you look at all possibility's. Also I do not know anyone who would walk around with Romans in a swamp?.

Where's your open mind now, anything can get anywhere. I can gives 100s of situations which make no sense. I'm discounting nothing, but with logic & probability you can narrow the options.

Crus, I hit the post button to soon and was going to edit it first. P.S. Thank you for everything you do to help us all!

Its OK, I'm not attacking you (I hope it doesn't seem that why), just turning it on its head. You do need to keep all options open at the start of your quest for the truth & I hope I've done this as my experience builds. I do try & help everyone, but its sad when some feel the need to pick holes in that help. :( (not you) :icon_thumright:
What goe's around , comes around ;D
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
trixie charger said:
CRUSADER said:
trixie charger said:
Don,

Myself and Eric are just trying to help by suggesting other possibility's, abet a long stretch but I have found you never know the truth until you look at all possibility's. Also I do not know anyone who would walk around with Romans in a swamp?.

Where's your open mind now, anything can get anywhere. I can gives 100s of situations which make no sense. I'm discounting nothing, but with logic & probability you can narrow the options.

Crus, I hit the post button to soon and was going to edit it first. P.S. Thank you for everything you do to help us all!

Its OK, I'm not attacking you (I hope it doesn't seem that why), just turning it on its head. You do need to keep all options open at the start of your quest for the truth & I hope I've done this as my experience builds. I do try & help everyone, but its sad when some feel the need to pick holes in that help. :( (not you) :icon_thumright:
What goe's around , comes around ;D

Remember than one >:(
 
Upvote 0
Amen to all :notworthy: I have seen the light :icon_sunny: I wasn't thinking you where attacking me lol you are right though everyone should always keep an open mind to all things. Thanks again to all
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
trixie charger said:
CRUSADER said:
trixie charger said:
Don,

Myself and Eric are just trying to help by suggesting other possibility's, abet a long stretch but I have found you never know the truth until you look at all possibility's. Also I do not know anyone who would walk around with Romans in a swamp?.

Where's your open mind now, anything can get anywhere. I can gives 100s of situations which make no sense. I'm discounting nothing, but with logic & probability you can narrow the options.

Crus, I hit the post button to soon and was going to edit it first. P.S. Thank you for everything you do to help us all!

Its OK, I'm not attacking you (I hope it doesn't seem that why), just turning it on its head. You do need to keep all options open at the start of your quest for the truth & I hope I've done this as my experience builds. I do try & help everyone, but its sad when some feel the need to pick holes in that help. :( (not you) :icon_thumright:
What goe's around , comes around ;D

Remember than one >:(
Don't worry I will...and I have a very long memory, not like some :wink:
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
trixie charger said:
CRUSADER said:
trixie charger said:
Don,

Myself and Eric are just trying to help by suggesting other possibility's, abet a long stretch but I have found you never know the truth until you look at all possibility's. Also I do not know anyone who would walk around with Romans in a swamp?.

Where's your open mind now, anything can get anywhere. I can gives 100s of situations which make no sense. I'm discounting nothing, but with logic & probability you can narrow the options.

Crus, I hit the post button to soon and was going to edit it first. P.S. Thank you for everything you do to help us all!

Its OK, I'm not attacking you (I hope it doesn't seem that why), just turning it on its head. You do need to keep all options open at the start of your quest for the truth & I hope I've done this as my experience builds. I do try & help everyone, but its sad when some feel the need to pick holes in that help. :( (not you) :icon_thumright:
What goe's around , comes around ;D

Remember than one >:(
Don't worry I will...and I have a very long memory, not like some :wink:

I'm proud of the fact I have a grudge threshold of a goldfish. You can keep yours as long as you wish, as you stated what goe's around, comes around & you have plenty to worry about (not from me) :laughing9:
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
trixie charger said:
CRUSADER said:
trixie charger said:
Don,

Myself and Eric are just trying to help by suggesting other possibility's, abet a long stretch but I have found you never know the truth until you look at all possibility's. Also I do not know anyone who would walk around with Romans in a swamp?.

Where's your open mind now, anything can get anywhere. I can gives 100s of situations which make no sense. I'm discounting nothing, but with logic & probability you can narrow the options.

Crus, I hit the post button to soon and was going to edit it first. P.S. Thank you for everything you do to help us all!

Its OK, I'm not attacking you (I hope it doesn't seem that why), just turning it on its head. You do need to keep all options open at the start of your quest for the truth & I hope I've done this as my experience builds. I do try & help everyone, but its sad when some feel the need to pick holes in that help. :( (not you) :icon_thumright:
What goe's around , comes around ;D

Remember than one >:(
Don't worry I will...and I have a very long memory, not like some :wink:

I'm proud of the fact I have a grudge threshold of a goldfish. You can keep yours as long as you wish, as you stated what goe's around, comes around & you have plenty to worry about (not from me) :laughing9:
:icon_scratch:..you might want to Pm me and explaine...because I haven't the faintest what your on about, thought shaun was the drinker :laughing9:
 
Upvote 0
Timekiller said:
trixie charger said:
The Native American Mound story peaked my curiosity. My Paw Paw would tell me stories about when he was young in West Virginia. In 1939 he was 7yr old, he would play in the crawl space under their house. He was digging to make a larger play area and about a foot down he started finding beads and strings of leather, then arrowheads. He kept digging and found a small pouch with odd coins, a axe head then he found a bone which later he found out was femur. He got scared and got his dad, he called the doctor/coroner/mortician they where one in the same back there and the sheriff. The house had been in the family sense the late 1700's we think 1789 not positive. So whatever was there was already there when the house was built. They exhumed the body and the artifacts and it was a Native American burial site, they took everything and {there is no way to be sure} told them they thought maybe 1400's. I showed Paw Paw the pictures of the coins and some others, the only one he remembers is the first Pic which is also the one Timekiller posted. If this is correct and the estimated timeline is close then would history be wrong? or if correct then maybe Christopher Columbus {1492} brought them for trade with the Natives?. My grate Grandfather was white and my grate Grandmother was Cherokee maybe they circulated through the Tribes and got distributed throughout North America.
Neat story, :thumbsup: I wonder though if some of these finds are not decorative buttons from the 18th
century.Cause they did make that same coin I posted as a button also.And would date 18th century.


Circa late 18th century

Description: A die-stamped two-piece copper-alloy button with separate soldered wire shank (now missing). The button is in the form of a coin of the Roman period, depicting a right-facing, laureate bust of Septimius Severus. The back of the button has a reversed impression of the bust, caused by the manufacturing process.

The excavation of the now famous towns of Herculaneum and Pompeii in 1738 and 1748 stimulated an interest throughout the world in classical art. Buttons in the form of Roman coins date mainly from the second half of the 18th century and are, no doubt, a reflection of this interest.



http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=27943&cat=104
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/stunning-pewt...9078447?pt=UK_Antiquities&hash=item4153d0f92f
this reminded me of your post, I don't think its pewter & looks like its a real coin converted. (not really linked to the coins in this post but interesting. I have seen the immitation ones but this is the first possible conversion)
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Hi Adam and welcome to the forum! I too am a North Florida 'treasure hunter' of sorts.. metal detectorist and SCUBA DIVER.. anyway, I've never even heard of coins like that found here.. old Spanish cobs are often found in the Santa Fe river nearby.. but...those..??!???
Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the consensus on these.. truly a mystery.. meanwhile, Happy detecting!

~Mike
 
Upvote 0
I'm jumping-in on this most interesting forum to stay up with the ID-ing of these coins. For those who were not on the forum or didn't see the post, remember I found a 1500's Spectacle Buckle in the Piedmont (central) area of North Carolina, which is about 160 miles from the coast. Super finds, and I look forward to seeing more pics. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • SpecticalBuckle1.webp
    SpecticalBuckle1.webp
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,180
  • SpecticalBuckle1.webp
    SpecticalBuckle1.webp
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,181
Upvote 0
trixie charger said:
Don,

Myself and Eric are just trying to help by suggesting other possibility's, abet a long stretch but I have found you never know the truth until you look at all possibility's. Also I do not know anyone who would walk around with numerous Romans in a camp? lol!!! if you do I'll pitch a tent.
Hello trixie. Romans did not lose these coins. If they did, there would be more artifacts. Where are the campfires, bones, tools, graves, cooking and eating utensils, houses etc? These coins were recently lost.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
trixie charger said:
Don,

Myself and Eric are just trying to help by suggesting other possibility's, abet a long stretch but I have found you never know the truth until you look at all possibility's. Also I do not know anyone who would walk around with numerous Romans in a camp? lol!!! if you do I'll pitch a tent.
Hello trixie. Romans did not lose these coins. If they did, there would be more artifacts. Where are the campfires, bones, tools, graves, cooking and eating utensils, houses etc? These coins were recently lost.
Hmmm...maybe not in Florida, but can you say that about the rest of the US.. :coffee2:

Epstein says in his final summary statement:

"Throughout these discussions, I have stressed that no Roman coin has been
excavated under controlled acrchaeological conditions. Recently I have
found that I was mistaken in this. Thanks to [a number of people's help]
... it is now possible to talk about the discovery of such a coin at the
Great Gully site, a historic Upper Cayuga Iroquois village first described
by Skinner (1921:55-68). ... In 1928-29, excavations were carried out
there by Harrison C. Follett and George Selden.... The clear association
of the coin with historic materials is evident from Follett's field notes.
(1929: 12-13):

[[At the head of [skeleton] 33 a small chunk of hematite, an earthen or
clay ball, near this a large brass button with pieces of apparent beaver
hair mass around it, one long red glass bead lay over the button, In the
soil on the north wall two iron nails, two small glass beads, and a small
unknown iron implement. In the southeast corner of the grave and next to
the wall a horn spoon.]]"

SS
 
Upvote 0
http://www.globalserve.net/~yuku/tran/7c1.htm Im reading it now. I would like to add, Adam, that if you really believe there is more to this than a pocket spill, you should report your findings to the archaeological community and have the area roped off and judiciously studied.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
http://www.globalserve.net/~yuku/tran/7c1.htm Im reading it now. I would like to add, Adam, that if you really believe there is more to this than a pocket spill, you should report your findings to the archaeological community and have the area roped off and judiciously studied.
I agree ,in florida you just never know.They would see the indian camp fires burning from the gulf/sea & come see who was here many many years ago!
 
Upvote 0
Hear! Hear! That's why I wrote several posts up "Seems reasonable that our Indians moved some of these ancient coins and artifacts over vast distances over hundreds of years and many of the coins are just simply modern drops. The folks that find them have an obligation to notify folks that can properly document and study the strata from whence they came and not simply put them in their pocket and walk off"

bigcypresshunter said:
http://www.globalserve.net/~yuku/tran/7c1.htm Im reading it now. I would like to add, Adam, that if you really believe there is more to this than a pocket spill, you should report your findings to the archaeological community and have the area roped off and judiciously studied.
 
Upvote 0
Eric :headbang: Just to be on the safe side contact an Archaeologist, even maybe just a local College to make sure.
 
Upvote 0
Erik in NJ said:
Hear! Hear! That's why I wrote several posts up "Seems reasonable that our Indians moved some of these ancient coins and artifacts over vast distances over hundreds of years and many of the coins are just simply modern drops. The folks that find them have an obligation to notify folks that can properly document and study the strata from whence they came and not simply put them in their pocket and walk off"
YES!!! I happen to believe its a modern pocket spill. BUT, if we discover a site that can potentially rewrite history, I think we have the obligation to notify the proper authorities to document the findings. My friend discovered an unknown Indian mound with a dugout canoe deep in the swamp,. The first thing he did was take a known archaeologist to the site. I understand many of you do not like Archies but we do not want to be known as looters of our heritage. That being said, I myself think its a modern pocket spill, nothing more. I also believe the area is contaminated, as it has been a heavily used park over the years.
 
Upvote 0
VERY COMMON ROMAN COINS FROM 4TH CENTURY, ONLY FIRST ONE IS LATE 3TH (IOVI CONSERVATORI)
VERY INTERESTING..THIS YEAR I FOUND ONLY ONE AUGUSTUS AS AND ONE HADRIAN SESTERTIUS..
GOOD JOB!
GREETINGS
 
Upvote 0
Hello again.. I do again.. THANK ALL for the posts,, I have been so busy in Keystone where I live with work but I know its no excuse.. I will be emailing this link to the University of Florida to the archaeological studies and see if they would be interested in conducting a dig or get an opinion from them to see if they would be interested in the site.. I do agree with the postings.. in Florida there is no telling what could have been brought over with trading.. This camp does have a history of going back further than we all know... it does sit on a lake that has been here forever.... I do know Gold Head State park has closed a lake, close to the area in which these coins were located, Gold Head dating the lake as the oldest in the state, Sheelar Lake, http://www.floridaadventuring.com/gold-head-branch-state-park.html , I can say, I believe that when the site is studied that all hunting will end at this site , however it can definitely be a good ending to this story on if additional artifacts can be dug..Again I do want to Thank all for the input and the debates.. This again is why we hunt.. My dad and I have been avid diggers for years and have quite a collection of finds and do know the importance on the coins found.. On another note to this area in which we are hunting the news had just ran a story on a ring lost in Gold Head State park and located in South Florida, its good reading.. http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/...le.aspx?storyid=174743&catid=3&provider=email
Guys I do promise to keep updating whatever the University of Florida advises and any additional findings found, if they tell.. Stay Tuned.. Thanks again and Happy Hunting to all .. Adam & John Buchanan
 
Upvote 0
Be careful. I know that I said to do this but dont do anything to get yourself in any trouble. I hope you dont lose the coins either. It may be best to remain annonymous. Is this camp in a State Park?
 
Upvote 0
Hello again... I did email this gentleman just after my other posting tonight, here is his link to his site at the University of Florida, http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/moseley/ , I do hope he is able to shed some light on if this is just a pocket spill or if it could be something more than we can imagine in history.. thank you all again.. Adam Buchanan
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom