What's new

North East Florida Treasure....Please help me identify these coins...

AdamBuchanan

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2010
Messages
85
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
Keystone Heights, FL
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, a few days ago, I hunted an old camp in North Florida , in past hunts I've found silver quarters, silver dimes, and rings due to the high usage of the camp .. I hit an area in which I dug five coins in which I know are old however cannot date them.. I went back today with my dad .. he found 9 more of these type coins in which we have no idea how old they are.. Here are the five from the first hunt a few days ago..there are single photos of the best coins that my dad found today.. I hunt with the PRL whites, my dad uses the Whites Eagle SL II, any and all help would be great..
 

Attachments

  • untitled-20-1.webp
    untitled-20-1.webp
    7.2 KB · Views: 2,073
  • untitled-1-1.webp
    untitled-1-1.webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 2,939
  • untitled-3-1.webp
    untitled-3-1.webp
    17.3 KB · Views: 2,892
  • untitled-4-1.webp
    untitled-4-1.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 2,936
  • untitled-5-1.webp
    untitled-5-1.webp
    11.4 KB · Views: 2,919
  • untitled-6-1.webp
    untitled-6-1.webp
    6.1 KB · Views: 2,932
  • untitled-8-1.webp
    untitled-8-1.webp
    7.2 KB · Views: 2,916
  • untitled-9-1.webp
    untitled-9-1.webp
    6.6 KB · Views: 2,875
Oh no.. this camp as of yet,,, is not a State Park..lol.. I do know all about hunts in State parks... I was given specific permission to hunt the camp and by no means am hunting somewhere without permission.. I can just say that with the additional finds that have been being dug this site has not been detected and if it has... well.. not that well..
 
Upvote 0
AdamBuchanan said:
Oh no.. this camp as of yet,,, is not a State Park..lol.. I do know all about hunts in State parks... I was given specific permission to hunt the camp and by no means am hunting somewhere without permission.. I can just say that with the additional finds that have been being dug this site has not been detected and if it has... well.. not that well..
OK thats good. :icon_thumright: Keep us informed on an interesting story.
 
Upvote 0
AdamBuchanan said:
Oh no.. this camp as of yet,,, is not a State Park..lol.. I do know all about hunts in State parks... I was given specific permission to hunt the camp and by no means am hunting somewhere without permission.. I can just say that with the additional finds that have been being dug this site has not been detected and if it has... well.. not that well..

if this is true then your coins are of highly history to your country and you SHOULD tell your government body who deals with the american history as its not every day you find Roman coins in the usa :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
jimmy uk said:
AdamBuchanan said:
Oh no.. this camp as of yet,,, is not a State Park..lol.. I do know all about hunts in State parks... I was given specific permission to hunt the camp and by no means am hunting somewhere without permission.. I can just say that with the additional finds that have been being dug this site has not been detected and if it has... well.. not that well..

if this is true then your coins are of highly history to your country and you SHOULD tell your government body who deals with the american history as its not every day you find Roman coins in the usa :icon_thumright:

actually quite a few modern drops of roman & greek coins are found, seen quite a few on here & thats the tip of the iceburg. The US like their history & other countries :wink: :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
I remember other threads of a recently lost ancient coin or 2 on the beach but I cant remember a find with this many coins in a group. Finding more than 1 or 2 ancients together is unusual (in USA)
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I remember other threads of a recently lost ancient coin or 2 on the beach but I cant remember a find with this many coins in a group. Finding more than 1 or 2 ancients together is unusual (in USA)

thats just my point mate..if this was found in england it was be classed as a HOARD which is common here.. but in the USA it isn't so this needs to be reported :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I remember other threads of a recently lost ancient coin or 2 on the beach but I cant remember a find with this many coins in a group. Finding more than 1 or 2 ancients together is unusual (in USA)
yes unusual
 
Upvote 0
C'mon guys. There is no flippin' way these coins were dropped in Florida by ancient Romans. :tongue3:
 
Upvote 0
thrillathahunt said:
C'mon guys. There is no flippin' way these coins were dropped in Florida by ancient Romans. :tongue3:
Perhaps they wern't....but why is it so hard to except that they might have well been dropped(lost) by Romans, some things are just harder to explaine :coffee2:

SS
 

Attachments

  • hieroplanes.webp
    hieroplanes.webp
    29.8 KB · Views: 788
Upvote 0
I found a roman coin here on the coast of SC. Its the coin in the top left of the picture. The area was inhabited by the Indians, inhabited by settlers from the Carribean, visited by the Spanish and occupied by the Federal Army. It was found deep enough that I would say for sure it was not dropped recently. Other items found in the area (within 4 feet) indicated it was dropped by the Federals but this is just a guess. I also have friend who lives on the other side of the island who has also found them with other Federal civil war items. Just thought I would add my 2 cents. :dontknow:
 

Attachments

  • P1020434.webp
    P1020434.webp
    194 KB · Views: 803
  • P1020432.webp
    P1020432.webp
    164.1 KB · Views: 782
Upvote 0
:o :o :o

Another one :o perhaps the Romans visited the States after all ;D

SS
 
Upvote 0
SS :hello2: You know the Tour Guides are not allowed to show, point out or even reference those hieroglyphs!!! makes you wonder?????
 
Upvote 0
trixie charger said:
SS :hello2: You know the Tour Guides are not allowed to show, point out or even reference those hieroglyphs!!! makes you wonder?????
There is quite a few things that don't add up about the Pyramids, and things the authorites keep hidden. But in a way you can not blame them :-\ having someone come along and attempt to change the history of your country wouldn't go down well, with any country :wink:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for your post! Interesting that they were found contemporaneous with the CW relics. Wonder if it was in vouge at the time to carry an ancient Roman coin on one's person for some particular reason. I suppose they also could have been looted from a coin dealer or collector by the Federals.

EdistoDigger said:
I found a roman coin here on the coast of SC. Its the coin in the top left of the picture. The area was inhabited by the Indians, inhabited by settlers from the Carribean, visited by the Spanish and occupied by the Federal Army. It was found deep enough that I would say for sure it was not dropped recently. Other items found in the area (within 4 feet) indicated it was dropped by the Federals but this is just a guess. I also have friend who lives on the other side of the island who has also found them with other Federal civil war items. Just thought I would add my 2 cents. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for your post! Interesting that they were found contemporaneous with the CW relics. Wonder if it was in vouge at the time to carry an ancient Roman coin on one's person for some particular reason. I suppose they also could have been looted from a coin dealer or collector by the Federals.

EdistoDigger said:
I found a roman coin here on the coast of SC. Its the coin in the top left of the picture. The area was inhabited by the Indians, inhabited by settlers from the Carribean, visited by the Spanish and occupied by the Federal Army. It was found deep enough that I would say for sure it was not dropped recently. Other items found in the area (within 4 feet) indicated it was dropped by the Federals but this is just a guess. I also have friend who lives on the other side of the island who has also found them with other Federal civil war items. Just thought I would add my 2 cents. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Here's a scenario that no one seems to have put forth: Though I find it unimaginable that ancients arrived on our shores, is it more likely that one or more Roman vessels may have by chance made it here after getting lost at sea with the ships' occupants losing their lives along the way. After the ship was tossed about on the ocean, could it have washed up on N.A. with partial stores intact (including some or many coins)?

I still find it reasonable that the Vikings would have brought ancient coins for trade.
 
Upvote 0
I've bought dozens of "uncleaned roman coins on Ebay, and given several to my grandkids....I know for a fact they can't keep anything long,including expen$ive video games ! I also buried a few in my yard, at the site of the house I grew up in, just for $$hits and giggles...I also live in Florida...you haven't been in my yard , have you? :laughing9:
 
Upvote 0
Those look to be Roman "Hammered" coins. Ancient for sure. I found one years ago very similar to your 2nd and 3 rd pics, several blocks from the beach in Bay St. Louis ,Ms. Great finds!Probably not worth much though as there are so many of them that managed to survive.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom