What's new

Old Mill Totals- 33 Coppers in 4 Days

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2008
Messages
1,103
Reaction score
17
Golden Thread
0
Location
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Got back out alone to the old mill this morning in the cold and rain to try and find that early silver
that has eluded my hunting buddy and me for the past four days.
Alas, it was not to be, but I managed one last copper,
a William III (oldest coin from the site) before the rain drove me off.
The bulk of the finds were found in a 40' x 60' mown lawn on the bank of an old mill stream,
just above the mill dam. Not many relics turned up with the coins, so it seems that people were
at the site to do business and the price of admission was about a ha'penny.
I found 29 coppers total, and my hunting buddy found 4.
I blame this discrepancy on a faulty machine.
Our totals look to include:

1 William III
1 George I Woods Hibernia
3 George I's
1 George II Irish
11 George II's
5 Connecticut
3 Counterfeit G III's (at least one probably a Machin's Mills)
5 Matron and Braided Hair LC's
3 Unidentified, all under weight, and probably G III's or state coppers

It was a joy to experience a site like this.
I hope all of you find one or two like it or better!

Thanks for looking, and HH,

Dwayne
 

Attachments

  • P1010005.webp
    P1010005.webp
    202.3 KB · Views: 1,981
  • img040-1.webp
    img040-1.webp
    263.4 KB · Views: 1,951
  • img041-1.webp
    img041-1.webp
    262.3 KB · Views: 1,957
  • img042-1.webp
    img042-1.webp
    113.7 KB · Views: 1,926
  • img043-1.webp
    img043-1.webp
    117.2 KB · Views: 1,941
Upvote 0
Simply incredible...You tied me for coppers in four days!! Big congrats man. :notworthy: :headbang: :thumbsup:
 
Wow,good job,thats one sweet spot.
 
You'll never forget that spot! :headbang:

Years ago we had a place that produced about 150 large coppers and one silver and I kid you not the silver was the last coin! (so it could still be there) The age is perfect for so many good finds I would not give up on that place until I absolutely could not get another target.

Too bad everyone can't experience having a site like that!
 
Man you make me SICK! That is a banner hunt!
 
Hell it's hard enough for me down here to find one. :laughing7: :o My silver ratio is better then my copper. :D That's something to be proud of there...... great site. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
 
Fantastic Site and finds :notworthy: a place we all wish we could find there has to be more there keep digging :thumbsup: Jim
 
Quite the site indeed.

I hit a spot on sept 19 got 9 coppers, and one silver in an afternoon, Quite certain there is another there waiting for me to return.
 
Iron Patch said:
You'll never forget that spot! :headbang:

Years ago we had a place that produced about 150 large coppers and one silver and I kid you not the silver was the last coin! (so it could still be there) The age is perfect for so many good finds I would not give up on that place until I absolutely could not get another target.

Too bad everyone can't experience having a site like that!

Congrats a sweet site there and IP is right, I had one of those sites and the site was beat and over 400 coppers came out and my buddies dad comes over and pulls out the only silver coin (spanish of course) to be found at that site. Keep hitting that site until all tones besides small iron are gone
 
Sounds like you just had a short window of opportunity this time, but you sure made the most of it! Hopefully you can get back out there again in the future. Looks like the place could have been in operation for a span of up to 100 years.
 
400 coppers?! ??? Id like to see that display :headbang:
 
A blessing to have a such a place...congrats to you, glad you could enjoy it! Great to share it with a buddy too.
 
that's amazing. most likely, I'll never dig one in my entire life :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
 
killer finds!!! :notworthy: MR TUFF
 
a very rewarding hunt! Thanks for sharing!
 
Thank's for the ride Dwayne and Congrat's :thumbsup:
 
Great job, Great hunt!

There has to be an old silver there. Those coins look great!
 
Very nice post, and with all those coppers, possibly it was a commerce site. But, you would think a couple piece of Spanish would show up, if only a half real or two at least. But they can be hard to pick up sometimes, so perhaps if you get back there again for a "mop up" hunt, one or two might show, but I sure would be happy with all them coppers............... :D

Don
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom