What's new

Oldest Coin Yet... BY FAR.

randywhatson

Tenderfoot
Joined
May 25, 2011
Messages
7
Reaction score
27
Golden Thread
0
Was Hunting with my buddy in the woods today. The old maps indicated a school in the area. Long day. Not many targets when I decided to make my way up a steep hill. All of a sudden I started getting some muffled targets. For whatever reason, the fifth muffled target gave me a faint chirp. I decided to investigate and pulled this coin out of the ground. I had no idea what it was... it just looked old.


Today, my hunting buddy (who is the MAN when it comes to research) ID'd the coin for me.

spanish 4.webpspanish 4 back.webp
It is a Spanish 4 Maravedis. Could be anywhere from 1566 to the 1100's. Incredible.
 
Upvote 50
Very cool. I found my oldest (1659) in Baltimore County as well.... but nowhere near as old.

I suspect mine was in circulation when it was dropped...

I suspect yours was someone's lost keepsake.... but I guess you never know.
 
Wow congrats! I would go check those other muffled targets if I were you!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Whoa... killer hammered coin. Well played!
 
Awesome find! I just recently moved to Bmore County. Didn't know coins that old could be in the area!
 
darn right

Wow congrats! I would go check those other muffled targets if I were you!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, if I knew what it was when I found it we would have hit the area a lot harder. Next Thursday we'll be back for more. I did manage a really ornate button and an old axe head in the area as well.
 
You start getting back that far in the states and you have accomplished something special. Killer coin that I would love to dig o e day
 
Hard to find a coin THAT old, here in the States...!
Super Find!!! :thumbsup:
 
Sweet! Congrats on the nice find.
 
Very cool. 1600's coins and earlier is very tough to accomplish. My best is a 1665 Spanish silver. 1500's I have yet to find. Big congrats!!
 
Thought this was interesting...

"After the discovery of America, copper maravedís, along with silver reales, were the first coins struck in Spain for the purpose of circulation in the New World colonies. These coins, minted with a special design for specific use of the Americas, were first coined in Seville in 1505 for shipment to the colonial island of Hispaniola the following year, thus giving these coins their distinction as the first coins for the New World. By 1531 these coins were still being minted, by now in both Seville and Burgos. These maravedís were used as Spanish Colonial change for smaller transactions and after mints were later established in the New World, in both Mexico (ordered in 1535, production began in 1536) and Santo Domingo (ordered in 1536, production began in 1542), coins of this type were also minted there."
 
The funny thing is...

My buddy had just claimed "bragging rights" for the oldest coin with his 1833 Large Cent.

This ones gonna be tuff to beat!

Even tougher without a proper ID, that date range must be able to be narrowed, specially with some of our help.
 
Even tougher without a proper ID, that date range must be able to be narrowed, specially with some of our help.

I am going to the library tomorrow to see if I can find a book on old Spanish coins. Should help.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom