🥇 BANNER OMG! Best coin find ever! My record oldest US dug coin! And its silver!

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMG! Best coin find ever! My record oldest US dug coin! And it's silver!

Video link!

Today, I only had a few hours before dark to detect so I went back to the spot that I found trime yesterday! I had been gold panning so I was completely soaked up to the waist and partially up my back from the creek water. I detected about 30 minutes and they got completely dark but I was all the way at the back of the field so I decided to stay for a few more minutes and I'm sure glad I did! I got a repeatable coin signal and obviously I could not see my screen so I had no idea what I was about to dig. I just assumed it was another dern can. Just like yesterday with the trime, I saw a black disc with my pinpointer light! I picked up the black disc of metal and in the pinpointer light discovered that it was some sort of capped bust coin! I could tell it that time that was in pristine condition but I did not know at that time they had been scraped on both sides. Unfortunately I scraped the back side of the the dime with my lesche hand shovel. :( I then made a beeline to my car with my ace 250 pro pointer, lesche digger and decided to clean it off on the site with my friends well water and I made a video. The light from the video revealed that it was an 1829 liberty capped bust dime. It has scratches on both sides like I said but it is in extra fine or better condition underneath the scratches. In 1829 they had 3 different types. They had small, medium, and large. Mine is the large version. I am so happy to have dug my oldest US coin and best dime ever! Not to mention that I dug my best coin to date yesterday, as well, being a 1858 trime! I also found a few junky relics. I am so happy!

Attachments

• IMAG0208-1.jpg
    IMAG0208-1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 452
  • IMAG0209-1.jpg
    IMAG0209-1.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 426
  • IMAG0211.jpg
    IMAG0211.jpg
    573.1 KB · Views: 395
  • IMAG0213-1.jpg
    IMAG0213-1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
Upvote 0

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, congrats!

idigjars

Feb 27, 2012
SW Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW! That is really cool and in such good shape also. Thank you for sharing it with us. Congrats! Paul :)

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin. The buffet handle is nice to. A company in up state NY made buffets with the same numbering style. I have a buffet from the same company.

Chris Canada

Feb 9, 2007
Niagara
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Tessoro Vaqureo, NoktaMakro Simplex+, garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing find for sure!!
Congrats

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome coin!! Great job :)

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch, Time to make bigger holes to avoid that. Hopfully the next coin not a Key date or rarer but hey great find. Not often you see those.

Chip W

Greenie
Mar 8, 2012
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 305
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want one !!! Great find. That will get your blood pumping forsure.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Ouch! That has to be a bittersweet find; obviously, a wonderful coin, but I'd lay awake nights fretting over what I'd done to it. Congrats on a great find.

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I would like to say nice coin. Its sucks that you hit it but we live we learn I guess.

This is not a banner find nothing to take away from you but the banner used to hold a place for truly once in a life time finds. I saw nothing in the previous post about this being a banner find. So why is it here. Correct me if I am wrong, If you voted for this to be a banner please let me know.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice coin. I love the fact that it was found in NC. There is hope for me then....

OP
OP
FoundInNC

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First of all, thank you to everyone for the nice responses! My coin was pretty popular tonight at the club meeting! It still has not sunk in! Thanks for the banner nomination! I have only been on the forum for a week, that's a heck of a welcome!

First I would like to say nice coin. Its sucks that you hit it but we live we learn I guess.

This is not a banner find nothing to take away from you but the banner used to hold a place for truly once in a life time finds. I saw nothing in the previous post about this being a banner find. So why is it here. Correct me if I am wrong, If you voted for this to be a banner please let me know.

And to you I would just like to know how many capped bust silvers have you ever dug?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I have to contend with the plow here in the cane fields, and the coins Seldom come up without scratches, gashes, or bends... If you are blessed enough to dig a coin in that great condition again, hopefully you will dig more carefully.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful capped bust coin. My oldest silver is 1892 and I would love to find anything older than that. I would probably fall out if I had found that coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread