🥇 BANNER OMG! Best coin find ever! My record oldest US dug coin! And its silver!

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMG! Best coin find ever! My record oldest US dug coin! And it's silver!

Video link!

Today, I only had a few hours before dark to detect so I went back to the spot that I found trime yesterday! I had been gold panning so I was completely soaked up to the waist and partially up my back from the creek water. I detected about 30 minutes and they got completely dark but I was all the way at the back of the field so I decided to stay for a few more minutes and I'm sure glad I did! I got a repeatable coin signal and obviously I could not see my screen so I had no idea what I was about to dig. I just assumed it was another dern can. Just like yesterday with the trime, I saw a black disc with my pinpointer light! I picked up the black disc of metal and in the pinpointer light discovered that it was some sort of capped bust coin! I could tell it that time that was in pristine condition but I did not know at that time they had been scraped on both sides. Unfortunately I scraped the back side of the the dime with my lesche hand shovel. :( I then made a beeline to my car with my ace 250 pro pointer, lesche digger and decided to clean it off on the site with my friends well water and I made a video. The light from the video revealed that it was an 1829 liberty capped bust dime. It has scratches on both sides like I said but it is in extra fine or better condition underneath the scratches. In 1829 they had 3 different types. They had small, medium, and large. Mine is the large version. I am so happy to have dug my oldest US coin and best dime ever! Not to mention that I dug my best coin to date yesterday, as well, being a 1858 trime! I also found a few junky relics. I am so happy!

Attachments

• IMAG0208-1.jpg
    IMAG0208-1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 452
  • IMAG0209-1.jpg
    IMAG0209-1.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 426
  • IMAG0211.jpg
    IMAG0211.jpg
    573.1 KB · Views: 395
  • IMAG0213-1.jpg
    IMAG0213-1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
Upvote 0

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats ........excellent find

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
YEEEEYUH!! Sweet diggins!

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!!

Joe

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is one beautiful coin, congrats!!!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's a fantastic find. I'd be on the clouds with that one. congrats!

OP
OP
FoundInNC

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that's a fantastic find. I'd be on the clouds with that one. congrats!
.....and I still am! The three center yesterday boosted me into the clouds initially so i have been riding that out all day! Now I am just pinching myself waiting for the dream to end! Yall have to keep in mind I hunt with an ace250! I am not accustomed to finding this caliber of coins! The last thing i will say is this: The best reason i can give to explain why I love this hobby so is that i get to experience once in a lifetime events on a daily basis. I love it!

Buff4

Feb 14, 2012
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 - W/Stealth 8 - Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Terrific find ! I'm actually excited for you. Definately do some more hunting in that spot.
Good luck.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grats on the great dime! It could have been a V from the plow I've found Indian pennies in that condition or with a bullet hole through them ...CARM

TarheelPanner

Mar 26, 2012
Mebane, NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent condition! I bet that farmer had a hole in his pocket for you to be finding all these coins!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread