Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in an old barn . It has a little pointy thing in the bowl . Seems to be made of pewter type metal . I'm not sure if it's from the 1970's or the 1870's ??? the hole at the base of the bowl acts like a carburetor . Any ideas how old it might be ?

mojjax

Attachments

• Picture 020 (2).jpg
    Picture 020 (2).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,468
  • Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,504

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:D :D In a barn you say? :D :D Anyway it sounds like a hash pipe...the pointy thing inside the bowl is to hold the hash....WOW....HMMMM....Just a guess....1968-70's Flower Power..... :D :D ???

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RealdeTayopa said:
??? now how in the h--- did Michelle know that and so quicky ? You don't suppose ----?

Tropical Tramp
Good ole days....hmmmmm

Upvote 0

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
mojjax said:
Found in an old barn . It has a little pointy thing in the bowl . Seems to be made of pewter type metal . I'm not sure if it's from the 1970's or the 1870's ??? the hole at the base of the bowl acts like a carburetor . Any ideas how old it might be?

I doubt that it's an opium pipe. An opium pipe has a lid that fits over the bowl opening. The flame is applied to the outside of the pipe, and never directly touches the opium. The opium is indirectly heated until it rises to its boiling point temp. It operates more like a still than a tobacco or pot pipe.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MiddenMonster said:
mojjax said:
Found in an old barn . It has a little pointy thing in the bowl . Seems to be made of pewter type metal . I'm not sure if it's from the 1970's or the 1870's ??? the hole at the base of the bowl acts like a carburetor . Any ideas how old it might be?

I doubt that it's an opium pipe. An opium pipe has a lid that fits over the bowl opening. The flame is applied to the outside of the pipe, and never directly touches the opium. The opium is indirectly heated until it rises to its boiling point temp. It operates more like a still than a tobacco or pot pipe.
:D :D :D now we know, hash pipes do have a lid...so thelittle beauty dont burn up...it just keeps smokin'......hmmmmWHAT IS THAT AROMA....

Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bill gent said:
u def don't want to travel around with that in your car especially at a DWI check point
yup the Gestapo might want to see your papers and search you
with no probable cause sept driving down a road that you pay tax's for :-X

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really though...didn't blacksmiths use a dipper or could it be used to blow glass? Get out of the smoke people.....hmmmm

Upvote 0

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.
Sad to say,but I am familiar with the offerings of the "head shops" of the 60's and 70's. NO NO NO NO,I don't smoke it no more! Got tired of waking up on the floor!
I don't think this is a pipe. But I wonder if it might be part of a gas light or lantern.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Michelle said:
MiddenMonster said:
mojjax said:

:D :D :D now we know, hash pipes do have a lid...so thelittle beauty dont burn up...it just keeps smokin'......hmmmmWHAT IS THAT AROMA....
Opium and Hashish are two completely different drugs. Hash pipes do not have a lid. But I agree with Junkdigger. It is neither an Opium nor a Hash pipe. (double negative?) :)

Upvote 0

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
maybe its not a pipe at all? Could it be used to snuff out a flame on a candle or lantern, something along those lines? Maybe thats why it was in the barn??

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
viper771 said:
maybe its not a pipe at all? Could it be used to snuff out a flame on a candle or lantern, something along those lines? Maybe thats why it was in the barn??
I absolutelY Agree with you...snuffer!

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michelle said:
viper771 said:
I absolutelY Agree with you...snuffer!

Snuffer or Sniffer??

Attachments

• blowup[1].gif
    blowup[1].gif
    21.6 KB · Views: 879
  • blowup[1].gif
    blowup[1].gif
    21.6 KB · Views: 874
Upvote 0

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
viper771 said:

There are relatively easy checks to verify whether this is a smoking pipe of any kind and if so, what was smoked in it. First, is there evidence in the "bowl" that anything was ever smoked in it? Or is there any evidence of burning consistent with the light charring that might come from snuffing candles? Second, is the stem hollow and does it draw from the "bowl"? Third, if the stem is hollow and draws from the bowl, is there evidence of resin in the stem or is it clean as a whistle? If there is resin in the stem, use a toothpick and scoop some out. What does it look and smell like? Finally, run a combustion analysis (but not the kind you are thinking of). Light the resin on the end of the toothpick and let it burn for a second or two then blow out the flame and let it smolder. What does it smell like now? Run these tests and the question of whether this was a pipe for smoking, and what was probably smoked should be settled.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MiddenMonster said:
viper771 said:

There are relatively easy checks to verify whether this is a smoking pipe of any kind and if so, what was smoked in it. First, is there evidence in the "bowl" that anything was ever smoked in it? Or is there any evidence of burning consistent with the light charring that might come from snuffing candles? Second, is the stem hollow and does it draw from the "bowl"? Third, if the stem is hollow and draws from the bowl, is there evidence of resin in the stem or is it clean as a whistle? If there is resin in the stem, use a toothpick and scoop some out. What does it look and smell like? Finally, run a combustion analysis (but not the kind you are thinking of). Light the resin on the end of the toothpick and let it burn for a second or two then blow out the flame and let it smolder. What does it smell like now? Run these tests and the question of whether this was a pipe for smoking, and what was probably smoked should be settled.
Sorry,.... :D :D :D ...Be careful Mojjax....be in a well VENTiLATED area...Whatever you do dont inhale....I hope it's only wax...but you know what if it does have an open tube it could very well be a pipe and it looks to be braized together,....Can you get a pic of the bottom end of the bowl? That's a very GOOD IDEA MiddenMonster.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
Michelle said:
MiddenMonster said:
mojjax said:

:D :D :D now we know, hash pipes do have a lid...so the little beauty dont burn up...it just keeps smokin'......hmmmmWHAT IS THAT AROMA....
Opium and Hashish are two completely DIFFERENT drugs. Hash pipes do not have a lid. But I agree with Junkdigger. It is neither an Opium nor a Hash pipe. (double negative?) :)
Cypress calm down......Hashish is one you dont want to...well,"use" without a lid...It would be a waste to just let it smolder....hmmm....Don't know about opiates....That's a badder...I took DARE in school.......hehehe

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions