What's new

Out of habt I asked..

cyberdan

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2006
Messages
4,599
Reaction score
2,232
Golden Thread
0
Location
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in my main bank yesterday and out of habit I asked for rolls of halves. The teller next to mine said they have a full box of halves in the vault. But I would have to buy the full box. I said that was strange that they had halves. He told me that the last time I ordered a box somebody ordered two boxes and it has been sitting there ever since. I can not remember when was the last time I ordered a box. I am sure it was last year. I guess I do not have any competition in this little town. I told him to put my name on it I would pick it up next chance I had.
 
Upvote 0
How much is in a box of halves??
 
Thanks. I have never tried coin roll hunting, but it's starting to pique my interest.
 
yep, $500. but I brought $600 and asked the teller if che had any customer deposited rolls. She opened her drawer and all were customer deposited. I tried to explain to her if the ends are folded it is a customer deposit. I was not going to educate her because she said that is how the get them from the "mint" She obviously has no idea.

I have not even seen an armored car deliver loose rolls with ends folded and no armored car company gets coins from the mint.

Any way $600 worth of coins to go through, halves, quarters, dimes and nickels. No coin shortage in my small stown.
 
This is a hobby that can and will be frustrating, rewarding or just a time consuming thing. I look at it as when i find a keeper coin, I only have 50 cents spent on the silver. Not counting the miles and miles of driving to various banks, the countless hours of waiting your turn in long lines inside the banks. Dealing with some tellers that are not happy with what they are doing and sure not helpful in helping you take coins. Not all, but many are like that as you spend time in so many different banks. I find it easier to order boxs at one or two branchs. But still stop at the others and just asking if they have halves. I could go to a coin shop and spend whatever they are charging for the coin but much more than 50 cents. I have gone through 27 $500 boxes and not found one coin worth keeping. Then have found well over $400 worth of silver in a $500 box, so you never know what you might or might not find. nIt is my Hobby!
 
I even look in coinstar machines. I drove up to Oregon to do some grocery shopping (20 miles) and as I walked in I saw a guy dumping coins in a coinstar. It looked like he would be a while so I will stop there on my way out.

Well I finished my shopping and I chose a teller opposite the machine. No one was there. So I kept my eye on it as I went through my checkout. The teller asked some questions and I got distracted, I looked up and a little old lady was just turning around from the machine and pulling her hand out of her purse. Couldn't tell for sure but it looked like she had just found rejects from the machine. I checked anyway and it was empty.
 
"Any way $600 worth of coins to go through, halves, quarters, dimes and nickels."

What did you find?

Just finished 9-15 5PM
Not bad, I got one 1964 dime and five 40% halves. Best box in a couple of years. and two nickel rolls had an extra coin. So 10¢ ahead.

Just checked my spreadsheet. Since august 2018 I have only bought $4010 in coins and not counting today I had only found two more 40% halves.
 
I even look in coinstar machines. I drove up to Oregon to do some grocery shopping (20 miles) and as I walked in I saw a guy dumping coins in a coinstar. It looked like he would be a while so I will stop there on my way out.

Well I finished my shopping and I chose a teller opposite the machine. No one was there. So I kept my eye on it as I went through my checkout. The teller asked some questions and I got distracted, I looked up and a little old lady was just turning around from the machine and pulling her hand out of her purse. Couldn't tell for sure but it looked like she had just found rejects from the machine. I checked anyway and it was empty.
Even little old ladies are in on the secret? Noooooooooo!
 
Even little old ladies are in on the secret? Noooooooooo!
She might not be looking for silver. Just in desperate need of change for a pack of cigs.
 

Attachments

  • ugly-mom.webp
    ugly-mom.webp
    29.4 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom