Outer Banks 6 Day Hunt-DAY 1- Coins and Gold Ring!

Jimmy D

Jul 10, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro, Minelab X-Terra 70
Today we started our 6 day hunt of the Outer Banks (Northern Section). The Nor Easter cut the beach down pretty good, however we could only hunt the low tide. The wave action covered the entire beach during high tide. The rest of the week should be very good. Today three of us found a total of 65 coins and one Gold ring, looks like a wedding band. All the coins were modern US coins.

27- Pennies
7- Nickels
13- Dimes
18-Quarters

Attachments

• DSC01428 [].JPG
    DSC01428 [].JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 3,064
  • DSC01429 [].JPG
    DSC01429 [].JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 2,833
  • DSC01430 [].JPG
    DSC01430 [].JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 2,773
Upvote 6

Poptopagain

Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's E Serries & Etrac
Nice ring! I wish I was there. (Don't know if I would detecting or fishing)... Maybe both!

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
nothern part were you at corrola? i go to the banks ounce a year. i think winter time is the time to go there during a storm for older coins. theres a guy there who does very well. (outter banks seaweed) check him out on u tube. hit the cuts hard and keep us informed. willy

OP
OP
Jimmy D

Jimmy D

Jul 10, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used
DFX....I will keep everyone posted........today were up towards Corolla. We spoke to a few locals that hunt this area hard today. They were heading out in the AM tomorrow, alot of sand has been stripped, we are looking for the old Spanish coins. Maybe we will find that needle in the haystack..........................

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always wanted to hunt there.. you lucky dog.. will watch to see what other goodies ya come up with.

Elliott Ness

Dec 1, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
E-Trac / Garett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold is always nice. You'll have to keep us posted throughout the week and good luck on those Spanish coins.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe this is the time I need to set my vacations up for instead of the summer time. Does this happen all along the coast or just in certain parts....Matt

OP
OP
Jimmy D

Jimmy D

Jul 10, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Matt, the Outer Banks has an enormous amount of ship wrecks just off the coast, and some right on the beach. I seen one today, but you only really see them during the fall and winter months when the sand is lowest. Especially just after a major storm or Nor Easter. Detecting beaches in the summer months you may find alot of modern jewelry, but if you are looking for old Spanish stuff the winter is the best in NC, FL or MD. Plus hotel and houses are VERY cheap to rent this time of year.....

One thing to remember in the Outer Banks you can only detect Kitty Hawk north, do not venture south of that or the FEDS will have something to say....................

OP
OP
Jimmy D

Jimmy D

Jul 10, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hardy said:
IS THERE ANY MARKINGS IN THAT BAND AND CAN WE GET A BETTER PIC OF IT PLEASE ;D

I will get a better pic in the morning, once my good camera charges...........there are some small marking inside, I didnt bring my mag glass along. We are going to the ACE Hardware tomorrow and get one, I will post better info tomorrow.............

Poptopagain

Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's E Serries & Etrac
Awesome Jimmy! Thanks for the photo update. You must have good weather down there. It's cold up here definately no swimsuit wearing here. Are you holding a Spanish reale in this photo? It can't seem to see it.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Jimmy.jpg
    Jimmy.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 2,381
OP
OP
Jimmy D

Jimmy D

Jul 10, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Wow fellas, nothing to do at work today.......excellent Art Work- Poptop and Elliott Ness.......its on when I get back to Maryland. Thats some of your best work yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to remember in the Outer Banks you can only detect Kitty Hawk north, do not venture south of that or the FEDS will have something to say....................
[/quote]

Actually you can detect south of there to the southern end of South Nags Head. The Hatteras National Seashore starts just north of Coquina Beach on the ocean side, farther north on the sound side. If you make it down that far just ask the beach patrol where the National Seashore starts or stop in at the Bodie Island visitor center for a map.

Also, here is a link for the map. If you zoom in near Coquina Beach you will see where it starts.

http://www.nps.gov/PWR/customcf/app...caha&parkname=Cape Hatteras National Seashore

Oh yeah,
Nice ring :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Happy hunting and keep us posted.

habs

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread