Pay Attention To The Artifact Laws Of Your State.!!!!!!!

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Six north Mississippians have been sentenced in federal court after being convicted of removing Native American artifacts from government land, including digging in a Native American burial mound.

The U.S. Attorney's office in North Mississippi stated in a release on Monday that Matthew Glen Arnold and Tyler Wilemon, 33, both of Booneville; Robert Alan Aguirre, 29, of Corinth; and Jackie Dale Arnold, 59, Sandra Arnold, 62, and Melinda Jean Arnold, 42, all of Burnsville, were sentenced between the end of September and the middle of October.

The indictment on the group said, among other things, that they "probed, dug, and caused irreparable injury to a Native American sacred mound." The offenses took place between Nov. 6, 2014 and Dec. 4, 2014.

Other court documents stated that Matthew Arnold parked in a gravel parking lot on the Corps of Engineers property near Doskie Mound. On those dates, the defendants walked to the mound carrying shovels and buckets and conducted "unauthorized excavations" as they searched for Native American artifacts. While officials do contend that artifacts were removed, they don't name what kinds of artifacts.

The locations of some historic locations such as Native American burial grounds are often kept somewhat secret in order to discourage people from going to those sites to try to excavate artifacts without permits.

Matthew Glen Arnold entered a guilty plea to six felony counts of excavating and removing archeological resources located on designated historic public lands in violation of the Archeological Resources Protection Act. The charges were in reference to his removal of Native American artifacts from United States Army Corps of Engineers property along the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway in Tishomingo County. Arnold was sentenced to 20 months for each count to be served concurrently, followed by one year of supervised release. He was also ordered to pay $41,551.49 in restitution to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for damage to the property.

Aguirre pleaded guilty to two felony counts of excavating and removing archeological resources located on designated historic public lands. He was sentenced to two years probation and ordered to pay $2,865.62 in restitution.

Jackie Arnold, Melinda Arnold, Sandra Arnold and Tyler Wilemon each pleaded guilty to one felony count of excavating and removing archeological resources located on designated historic public lands.

Jackie Arnold was sentenced to a term of imprisonment of 15 months and ordered to pay $24,357.77 in restitution. Sandra Arnold was sentenced to a term of imprisonment of 12 months and one day ordered to pay $18,626.53 in restitution. Wilemon was sentenced to a term of imprisonment of five months and ordered to pay $7,164.05 in restitution. Each were sentenced to one year of supervised release following their term of incarceration.

Melinda Arnold was sentenced to five years probation and ordered to pay $28,656.20 in restitution.

Two other defendants have plead guilty to similar charges and are currently awaiting sentencing, according to the release from Robert H. Norman, Acting United States Attorney for the Northern District of Mississippi.

"We are committed to working with Mississippi, its citizens, the Choctaw and Chickasaw Nation and other federal and state agencies to conserve and protect Mississippi's archeological resources which are a non-renewable cultural resource of irreplaceable value, as well as sacred to descendant communities and Native Americans," said Luis Santiago, Special Agent in Charge of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, in a release.

"The US Army Corps of Engineers is thoroughly committed to the preservation and protection of these irreplaceable cultural treasures, treasures that hold great meaning to Native Americans and belong to the American people,” said Wynne Fuller, Chief of Operations for the Mobile District of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup.....excavating for artifacts will get you in a boatload of trouble. It's not a state issue, it's a federal issue.
Jim

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow ! They could have legally purchased awesome collections of pre-historic artifacts with those amounts of money, and had enough money left over to pay someone to plant them randomly on their own property, where they could have excavated them freely, if they were that intent on digging artifacts. just sayin...

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody that does something like that nowadays is a total idiot for whom I have no sympathy. The Corps has been known for years to surveil hunters from over a mile away with hi-res video to gather evidence. No telling what kind of technology they are employing today to keep an eye on folks, because I'd bet these clowns were doing all this at night. It's all pretty simple in Georgia: private property with written permission. Let the state know 5 days ahead if you plan on digging and stop if you encounter a grave. Navigable waterways are off limits as well. A pain in the rear, but the law nonetheless. We have these inconvenient, burdensome laws like this now all because of d!ckheads like the ones mentioned in Monster's post. A prime example of bad apples ruining things for the rest of us, not to mention the negative press aimed towards collectors in general.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Over $116,000 in restitution, damn. This is just a guess, the respective restitution amounts vary widely between the defendants, I'm guessing they were under surveillance. It's likely that the defendants paying the most restitution made more visits and/or did more digging than the others.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We call tem "pot hunters" out here. And they're evil people. Theyve destroyed countless sites like this here in Arizona, by digging them up and so forth. And a lot of them are just lowlifes looking to sell the stuff. Evil, dirty people. Sorry for the harsh words, but pot hunters and grave robbers and treasure hunters have destroyed so much here in Southern Arizona that we'll never get back. And we've already lost so much else through "development" and so forth.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a point there, Old Pueblo. Pot hunters are nothing like the posters on here, who are interested in history, have respect for it, and look to learn something from their finds. Pot hunters are in it for the money. Big problem down in the 4 Corners area, where they plunder burials, take the grave goods, and leave the bones exposed. And just lay waste to pit house sites and village sites, in search of something that will sell. I'm from Oklahoma where Spiro Mounds were pretty much raped in search of a dollar, and we lost a ton of information due to that.

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an interesting article, and I agree that the people involved were pretty stupid for doing what they were doing. On the one hand I understand that people have to be penalized in order to control such behavior but on the other hand I think that the penalties served on these people are ridiculous, unless there were extenuating circumstances that.were not mentioned.
The sentencing and the fines in this circumstance are higher than some armed robberies, rapes, and even some homicides.
Reminds me of the guy who was on the river in his boat with the old crank phone shocking fish and got caught by the game warden.
Lost his truck his boat trailer his boat motor, had to pay several thousand dollars in restitution and spent a couple years in prison.
Did he break the law? Absolutely he did but the penalty was ridiculous.
As dumb as they were and as much as I disagree with what they were doing, in my opinion the crime does not fit the time and the fines.
I would much rather see such severe penalties meted out on those who perpetrate crimes against the living in contrast to crimes against the state or the Fed in regard to stone and ceramic artifacts.

Last edited:

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a point there, Old Pueblo. Pot hunters are nothing like the posters on here, who are interested in history, have respect for it, and look to learn something from their finds. Pot hunters are in it for the money. Big problem down in the 4 Corners area, where they plunder burials, take the grave goods, and leave the bones exposed. And just lay waste to pit house sites and village sites, in search of something that will sell. I'm from Oklahoma where Spiro Mounds were pretty much raped in search of a dollar, and we lost a ton of information due to that.

Thats terrible. Its seems like there are few places left that havent been pillaged by these lowlifes.

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These guys woulda got off easier if they had stayed home.

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a few words in this post that should explain why these folks got such severe fines and time(which may be spent or not)#1 BURIAL #2 DESIGNATED HISTORIC PUBLIC LANDS #3 CORPS OF ENGINEERS POPERTY #4 UNAUTHORIZED EXCAVATION. Any of these words should make a sane person run the other way and a long way. Some may say college's and other schools do it all the time, but they have permission and even then they have to go through all the right channels, which can take years and they just can't go dig up stuff when they want to. This is what makes this hobby look bad to others and if it is not halted to some degree then the collecting of artifacts as a whole could become unlawful.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Over $116,000 in restitution, damn. This is just a guess, the respective restitution amounts vary widely between the defendants, I'm guessing they were under surveillance. It's likely that the defendants paying the most restitution made more visits and/or did more digging than the others.

Kinda scratchin' my head on this one. If they were under surveillance, why did they not stop them after the first shovel went in the ground? Are the fed's really interested in saving the history, or is it a money grab again. Do they just sit there with there notepad , digging in a indian mound, that's $6,000, removing artifacts, $5000, and so on. Seem's to me if they want to save history, that first shovel full, $25,000 and jail time. And you save the history. Heck, make it $100,000 fine and 10 yrs. behind bars. You save the history period. I know the fed's are serious about this, but they could send a better signal. IMO

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were illegally hunting on government land and digging in graves, they knew they were illegally hunting, they get no sympathy from me.

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda scratchin' my head on this one. If they were under surveillance, why did they not stop them after the first shovel went in the ground? Are the fed's really interested in saving the history, or is it a money grab again. Do they just sit there with there notepad , digging in a indian mound, that's $6,000, removing artifacts, $5000, and so on. Seem's to me if they want to save history, that first shovel full, $25,000 and jail time. And you save the history. Heck, make it $100,000 fine and 10 yrs. behind bars. You save the history period. I know the fed's are serious about this, but they could send a better signal. IMO

More than likely one or more in the group ratted on the whole gang because they got cheated or they tried to sell to someone who then told the local law who then brought in the big guns. About 15 years ago a group was doing this and the wife got mad at her husband and told the locals. Then the law placed cameras in the woods and got some real good photos of dumb a$$ folks digging graves on Federal hunting land.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many places were destroyed by pot hunters and Archeologist. I have seen archeological sites that look like it was a bombing range. I have also seen the state and big business cover many sites or bull doze them up for the city folks. Almost every major city is on an ancient site.
Here is a mound on the campus of The University at Tennessee it is a Hamilton era mound. There are hundreds and hundreds of these along the Tennessee River.

Unknown.jpeg

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We just had a big oil line come through my areas and I know good and well they cut through some ancient sites but nobody said a word.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We just had a big oil line come through my areas and I know good and well they cut through some ancient sites but nobody said a word.

Government is known for its hypocrisy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread