Pegleg Smiths Lost Gold Mine FOUND in Desert

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Pegleg Smith's Lost Gold Mine FOUND in Desert

Pegleg Smith's Gold Reported Found in Arizona Desert! Pegleg-Mine-Found.JPG

<From Publication: Aspen Weekly Times (Aspen, Pitkin County); Date: Jul 13, 1895; Section: Front page; Page: 1 >

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Re: Pegleg Smith's Lost Gold Mine FOUND in Desert

Just to clarify the text of the article, as it is a bit difficult to read

PEG LEG MINE DISCOVERED
Yuma, Arizona July 10 It is generally
<b>elieved that the gold mine found near
<?>dian on the desert by the McHaney
<b>rothers is the Peg Leg mine, found by
<P>eg Leg Smith and party sixty years
<a>go. The quality of the quartz, the old
<w>orkings, human bones, the kind of gold,
<th>e richness of the ore and location in-
<d>icates that it really is the old mine. It
<is?> producing from $300 to $1000 a day in
<a> two-stamp mill. Two million dollars
<h>as been offered for the property.

Some interesting differences from the original Pegleg tale - this is gold in quartz and must be processed by a stamp mill, not black-crusted placer gold nuggets, the presence of "old workings" which we know Pegleg never actually mined his site, and the presence of "human bones" when there is no mention of anyone dying in the original Pegleg tale.
Oroblanco

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Side thingie forgive please. ORO, this afternoon I was at Oracle and first in Oro vallyey. I looked up the slopes, but didn't see your homestead? Map please.

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

Don Jose', Dueno de Real y Minas de Tayopa wrote
Side thingie forgive please. ORO, this afternoon I was at Oracle and first in Oro vallyey. I looked up the slopes, but didn't see your homestead? Map please.

No problem amigo - by any chance are you looking to add to your real estate holdings? ;D :D :wink: :icon_biggrin: Try this link, you can zoom out to get your bearings from there:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=31.95026,-09.712262&spn=0.001966,0.00339&t=h&z=18

It is a bit of a drive from Tucson, (~77 miles SE) and you can't really see it from the valley there but you CAN see it from Pearce, Sunsites and from Bell Ranch road; from any of these vantage points, if you look toward the Sulphur hills it is the two hills at the southern end of the range. (Not the highest peaks near the center, known locally as the "Three Sisters") A very scenic area in my opinion.

<begin SALES PITCH for anyone interested>
The place is located at about 4400 feet elevation in beautiful Cochise county, so has pretty mild weather year round; it is "semi remote" and expect that power and utilities will be run into the hills in the near future (if not done already) we were building in the saddle between the two hills so as to take advantage of the great views of the Chiricahua mountains to the East, Swisshelms to the S, Dos Cabezas to the N, and Dragoon mountains to the West. It is 100 acres, no restrictions or covenants etc so anyone interested in buying, contact me by PM or email.
</end SALES PITCH>

If you are curious about our current 'camp tumbleweed' the location is shown on my profile page.
Oroblanco

PS if the above link doesn't work (it seems to be erratic for me, works once, won't work next try, then works etc) try this one
http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepa...maptech.com/homepage/index.cfm&latlontype=DMS
GoogleEarth_Image-AZ-home.jpg

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wonder if this is the same McHaneys that was blamed for the Cover murder in the Badlands....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread