What's new

Pipe found info please

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2012
Messages
1,487
Reaction score
1,648
Golden Thread
1
Location
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting a site today that dates back to colonial times and when I dug a signal I found this pipe all twisted in tree roots. I'm from northwest ct and I was told by surf on today's finds that this is not a native piece from the area I'm curious of age who made and how it possibly go here. Thank you in advance for all the help.
 

Attachments

  • image-1818045979.webp
    image-1818045979.webp
    57.1 KB · Views: 175
  • image-595365407.webp
    image-595365407.webp
    60.1 KB · Views: 164
  • image-1546159691.webp
    image-1546159691.webp
    37.7 KB · Views: 160
  • image-2809064120.webp
    image-2809064120.webp
    45.4 KB · Views: 157
  • image-1753762920.webp
    image-1753762920.webp
    27.1 KB · Views: 156
  • image-1999832260.webp
    image-1999832260.webp
    25.4 KB · Views: 151
  • image-621350584.webp
    image-621350584.webp
    26.3 KB · Views: 144
Upvote 0
Nice find its a shame it is broken. The pipe experts will be along.
 
GatorBoy is really good with dating pipes sure he can help you..nice find btw
 
Thanks it is a shame it's broken but it even amazing that it exists.
 
Nice pipe find. Its probably 3-4 hundred years old?
 
Wow that's so cool catherine any ideas of who made it?
 
I was doing some research could this be eastern woodland because I guess they used callinite to make pipes also?
 
If its 3-4 hundred then it would be Historic.
 
Very unusual place to find a catlinite platform pipe. I don't know how far back in time such a style was made in the area where usually found, the upper Midwest, upper plains. They were common in the 18th-20th century, but there were no free roaming tribes in NW Ct. at that late date. Maybe it was obtained in trade in colonial times. Most of the pipe styles by then, however, were Iroquois style here in New England. Nothing's impossible I guess. Might even consider whether a artifact collector lived there at some point in the 19th or 20th centuries.
 
Its not a platform pipe. Where is the platform? It is definitely catlinite and by design I'd say historic in time. What a shame it is broke but at least almost all of it is there. The plains Indians, Iroquois and Susquehannocks,Shawnee/Minnisink, and Lenni-Lenape used Catlinite as one of there lithics used in pipe making. The piece dates from late woodland to early historic times.
 
appears to be fire damaged .was there any charcoal/burnt wood found while you were digging? CATLINITE was mined in Pipestone County, Minnesota, and at the Pipestone River in Ontario, Canada.natives started using the Minn site between 900ad-1200ad and ,through trade,distributed it from coast to coast.i would suggest digging and sifting the spot to find associated artifacts.
 
Last edited:
what metal did you find at this site?do not be quick to discard "trash" as it may be historic era Indian artifacts which will help you date the pipe.
 
what metal did you find at this site?do not be quick to discard "trash" as it may be historic era Indian artifacts which will help you date the pipe.

Yes there is a lot of charcoal in this spot but I dug this object in an area that I'm finding parts of a 18th century French musket in which the parts are spear all over. I do plan on sifting the area there's pottery shards around this spot too but I didn't think any of them I should collect them.
 
possible :censored: pyre of high status native with gun , pipe,and other possessions ?detect toward the nearest water source to find a village site.keep an eye out for iron arrowheads, worked copper/brass,and trade beads.sounds like an awesome site, congrats.
 
Last edited:
Thank you Keith2004 I look forward to going back to this site
 
That's one heck of super cool find! Congratulations!!!
 
Its not a platform pipe. Where is the platform? It is definitely catlinite and by design I'd say historic in time. What a shame it is broke but at least almost all of it is there. The plains Indians, Iroquois and Susquehannocks,Shawnee/Minnisink, and Lenni-Lenape used Catlinite as one of there lithics used in pipe making. The piece dates from late woodland to early historic times.

It's technically a Catlinite T pipe. My bad. At the same time, the style clearly post dates free Native American presence in Connecticut. It's definitely an out of place artifact in that respect. There were no pipes in this T style, with that decoration, in 17th or early 18th century southern New England, or in prehistoric times. Looks like a 19th century Plains style T pipe, well past early Historic. They are still made, so even early 20th century would not be impossible for this pipe. There were no free roaming tribes in Ct. at that late date. May never know how it ended up where it was found. BTW, when the bowl is set well back from the end, I think of them as platform, but it's a T pipe.
 
Last edited:
Very interesting thanks for the help hh
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom