Possible last 09 hunt = 1785 CT copper and a solid silver colonial cufflink

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the cold air finally hitting my area and possible snow cover this weekend, this might have been my last hunt for 09 and I was hoping to not get skunked. I went to the site I got a 1775 KGIII Halfpenny and 1802 Large Cent in the same hole back in October and it also produced a decorative 100% complete shoe buckle. InCellarhole.jpg HoleCTfoundat.jpg

Well, today I got another shoe buckle, LOL, about 1/2 inch of one, but better than not getting any at all...... I was lucky enough to dig a very iffy reading, was almost sure it was going to be an iron hunk but it turned out to be a copper on complete edge! As I scanned the hole I dug with the SR-1 Probe, I was pleasantly surprised to see the copper sticking to the side wall of the hole about 6 inches down, no wonder it gave a funky reading and that I missed it on my two previous hunts! Afterall, it was only 3 feet away from where I dug the two coppers together in October! CTdirty.jpg

I continued hunting and found 3 buttons, one a Tombac and the other two no backmarked ones, all indicating late 1700s for dating and site was probably occupied end of the 1790s thru very early 1800s.

I got another signal that could have been a shotgun casing, or even a button or half dime, but not a copper, that was for sure. The signal was in a small depression adjacent to the larger home depression in the ground. It was hard to find in the clay gumbo soil, but there it was, my third solid silver cufflink for the year! I was hoping for a design, but after cleaning it at home, no evidence of any, but sure is high grade silver. SilverCufflink.jpg 17Dec09Finds.jpg Site243Finds17Dec09.jpg 1785M.6.4-I Site243red.jpg

I might get out again after Christmas, weather dependent, if not, 2009 has been a great year for me regardless.

Don

Attachments

• Site243Finds17Dec09.jpg
    Site243Finds17Dec09.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 841
  • 17Dec09Finds.jpg
    17Dec09Finds.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 854
  • SilverCufflink.jpg
    SilverCufflink.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 850
  • CTdirty.jpg
    CTdirty.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 863
  • InCellarhole.jpg
    InCellarhole.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 866
  • HoleCTfoundat.jpg
    HoleCTfoundat.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 858
  • 1785M.6.4-I Site243red.jpg
    1785M.6.4-I Site243red.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 837
Upvote 0

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Possible last 09 hunt = 1785 CT copper and a solid silver colonial eral cuff

We are getting out tomorrow for the first time in 2 weeks. Wish us luck!

The Connecticut copper is a good one indeed. :headbang: A Colonial kind of day! I hope to dig something ancient tomorrow as well.

Kirk

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Possible last 09 hunt = 1785 CT copper and a solid silver colonial eral cufflink

Congrats on the Ct copper. :thumbsup: Hope to find one myself one day.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A CT is a CT! Looking through the corrosion it kinda looks like William. :tongue3: Being 1785 you should have a shot at the variety.

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Looks good Don!! Are you sure that that cuff isn't just worn smooth? On the third pic from the bottom, the group uncleaned, on the cuff there are two lines that look too perfectly angled to be scratches, or am I just seeing things...Nice finds at anyrate, glad you got out!

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Nice work, but I think you can get out one more time before 11:59:59 pm Dec 31 - go for it!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Don,

I hope we have a warm spell after Xmas like last year when it was downright balmy at the end of December.

At least you got out in December and found some terrific digs! My last outing was on Nov 30. The KGIII I found that day may be my last find of the year.

Either way, it was a great ending to a great 2009.

I want to wish you and your family a happy holiday season!

Neil

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,

Those are some beautiful finds. It's always nice to get a silver cufflink--whether a whole one or a piece of one. Bravo to you on getting that copper on edge. I have dug one or two before, and they do Not sound good. Makes me wonder how many half dimes are on edge in a plowed field... well... I'd rather not think about that, actually.

Congratulations to you on a fantastic year. I look forward to the year-end post.

(But I really hope you make it out once more before then. :) )

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt and finds Don, hope you can get out before the big freeze! HH, Mike

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What previously stood there, was it an old homestead? Just curious, Bryan

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt...I really like that silver cufflink and am still looking for my first! I bet you get out again this year!

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
A fine day of diggings, my Colonial friend from NJ! Don, that solid silver cufflink got my blood pumping. I love the CT copper.

We're getting out today for our last hunt of 2009. We will probably be swinging on the site where Chris got his 1794 Liberty Cap over a month ago. It produced a pile of Colonial coppers for Kirk and me.

I hope you are able to get out one more time this season!

Kyle

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man i'm jealous, were under a big freeze here right now -15 C this morning. Those are some sweet find there....that site is producing well.

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jrsherman said:
Looks good Don!! Are you sure that that cuff isn't just worn smooth? On the third pic from the bottom, the group uncleaned, on the cuff there are two lines that look too perfectly angled to be scratches, or am I just seeing things...Nice finds at anyrate, glad you got out!

I really see nothing, but open to possible suggestions...

Don

Attachments

• silvercufflinkshankside.jpg
    silvercufflinkshankside.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 577
  • silvercufflinktopside.jpg
    silvercufflinktopside.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 559
  • silvercufflinkshankside.jpg
    silvercufflinkshankside.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 569
    63.9 KB · Views: 568

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Don,

Maybe I'm just seeing things, but then again the first time I only saw the "outer" set of lines like the 2 I highlighted here. I dunno, maybe I've been staring and hoping too much! ;D It's got a lot more when it's blown up, maybe they are just coincidence? These 4 just look pretty "on purpose" to me. :dontknow: Good recovery at any rate, and I hope you manage another trip out this year!

Attachments

• silvercufflinktopsidemk2.jpg
    silvercufflinktopsidemk2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 545
    63.9 KB · Views: 546
    63.9 KB · Views: 535
  • silvercufflinktopsidemk2.jpg
    silvercufflinktopsidemk2.jpg