What's new

Possible shaft abrader?

ttantalo

Tenderfoot
Joined
Aug 5, 2014
Messages
2
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found on shoreline of Lake Ontario in large pile of rocks.
 

Attachments

  • post-15947-0-00339100-1407194772.webp
    post-15947-0-00339100-1407194772.webp
    103.7 KB · Views: 186
Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum!!

Sorry, but It doesn't look abrasive enough to me.
 
I don't know what it is, or how it was formed, but the grooves look more 'V" shaped, instead of "U" shaped as I would expect for a used abrader?
 
Id have to say it is probably a sediment stone that at one time was mud. Many years ago while it was still mud some sticks fell into it and then later rotted away as the stone turned hard as we see it today. Still a cool rock and it would make a interesting conversation piece.
 
Ttantalo, I'm sticking with my reply in the what is it forum when I guessed that it's a sinew scraper /shaper. The one I found is made of soapstone so abrasiveness means nothing to me. By the way I found mine just an hour or two south of lake Ontario

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
 
my first thought was not abrader

i thought a sharpening stone for sharpening bone awls

probably wrong but just sayin'
 
I'm sure a lot of these things saw many different uses. Might have even been used for shaping beads

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
 
I found a similar piece about 50 yards off of a lake shore. When I posted, most of you called my piece an abrader.

image-1497606625.webp



image-630118938.webp
 
There is a difference between an abrading stone, and a shaft abrader.
 
May have been used as a shaft straightener, heated dart/arrowshafts were then straightened on them to take any bends out.
 
If it was used for anything shouldn't there be a discolor to the areas where it was used? Just saying I don't see any myself and if you enlarge it. It doesn't show it from where I am sitting I actually see some cracks in the line areas. I might be wrong IDK teach me something.
 
Like Steve, I thought maybe bone awl sharpening grooves. For comparison, this is a sharpening stone and the grooves are bone awl sharpening grooves. The deepest one is V shaped. As the groove deepened, the user would be rubbing the bone along the sides of the groove, eventually producing a V shaped groove as it deepened. In the last photo, the long smooth edge of the stone at the top in that photo was utilized as a whetstone to sharpen the bits on hardstone tools most likely.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    57.1 KB · Views: 107
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    50.1 KB · Views: 108
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    52.2 KB · Views: 114
Nice example Charl I see the use wear on yours.
 
There is a difference between an abrading stone, and a shaft abrader.[/QUOT


i can only speak about what we find in my area so i could be wrong

an abrading stone is a sharpening stone to do tasks such as sharpening bone awls, grinding a base of a point, smoothing the sides of an ornament......etc

shaft abraders were used in pairs....(one on top and one on bottom with the shaft held through the center and worked back and forth)

shaft straighteners are different...they are a wrench..(arrowshaft wrench)..... and were of bone or wood with a hole drilled through to place the shaft so it could be bent (straightened)......
..............after being heated with moisture applied to the right area of the shaft


i hope i am making sense...if you disagree i am cool with your opinions and will hear them with an open mind and respect.....
...i don't mean to be long winded here but i think this is a long overlooked topic......so i hope we can continue this thread with some good result(s)

steve
larson1951
 
for starters my idea of an abrading stone for sharpening awls or grinding bases of arrow points..........i will try to find and post images of shaft abrader set (pair)......and a shaft wrench (straightener)....hope this helps

IMG_0309.webp IMG_0310.webp IMG_0311.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom