Post the most random things you have found while out in the middle of the woods 🌲 🌲 🌲

OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was 15 maybe 16. My dad, brother and I decided to hunt the creek under an old bridge on our property. It used to be the main road through until a bypass was built in the mid 80s. My dad was running the machine and my brother and I would take turns finding the signals. He pulled up a rusted .25 pistol. We were in awe of course then the next signal I pulled up a rusted double barrel that had been sawed off. Fast forward several years and they were hanging up in our shop as trophies until a family friend came over to borrow a tool and noticed them. The family friend is also a GBI agent I should add. He then showed up several days later with a warrant to confiscate them due to an open murder case from 20 years prior. We never got the guns back but it was definitely a memorable experience!
Yeah you should always report guns you find in water sources, especially under a bridge. They will almost always have been used in some crime. Why else would someone toss one from a bridge. Plus any gun thats been in the water isnt going to be valuable. And wont be functional either. Its not like you can clean it up with some wd-40 and bring it to the shooting range. I think guns found in the woods are different, those were most likely dropped or lost and are game to keep and not report.
Did you ever find out more about the crime that the guns were involved in from your family friend?
One other thing from just a few years ago. I was detecting a Civil War battlefield and saw something whitish but covered in algae or such in the base of a rotted out tree. it was a human skull. Fortunately, it was an old plastic skull not the real thing.
phew.. but wonder what possessed someone to put that there.
I’m really enjoying this thread, there are some really wacky things out there!
Yes im enjoying it as well. I started it because in my limited 3 years of detecting ive come across some pretty random stuff out in the wild. But i figured it would be nothing compared to some of the stories from members who have been doing it their whole life. I cant imagine the combined total number of hours hunting from all Tnet members.
I once found a modem in the deep woods. It was at least a half mile from any trail.
Like a computer modem? now that is pretty random.

OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5017DB2F-EF96-4FE9-8F38-FD94F9A9D0BF.jpeg
B6A5B167-999F-4366-99C8-BEE738231DD2.jpeg

29A814E8-2421-4354-9469-45CF7035EAF2.jpeg

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once while down near Manassas VA I came across a LIVE HAND GRENADE World war 2 type. I called the police They came and took it. Never did hear any more about it. We was hunting a wooded property not to far from a fenced in school yard

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another place I was hunting was near Vicksburg Mississippi. We was on a hillside (Private Ground ) and were hunting Cannon Shells. Got this loud signal and dug down about 2 to 3 feet hoping for a cannon ball and this white round thing appeared in the hole. It was a human skull. The man i was with had us stop digging and fill the hole back in. Not everyone that died during the war were buried in a cemetery. Robert said he went back and found a very large Ships cannon ball. .

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
Yeah you should always report guns you find in water sources, especially under a bridge. They will almost always have been used in some crime. Why else would someone toss one from a bridge. Plus any gun thats been in the water isnt going to be valuable. And wont be functional either. Its not like you can clean it up with some wd-40 and bring it to the shooting range. I think guns found in the woods are different, those were most likely dropped or lost and are game to keep and not report.
Did you ever find out more about the crime that the guns were involved in from your family friend?

phew.. but wonder what possessed someone to put that there.

Yes im enjoying it as well. I started it because in my limited 3 years of detecting ive come across some pretty random stuff out in the wild. But i figured it would be nothing compared to some of the stories from members who have been doing it their whole life. I cant imagine the combined total number of hours hunting from all Tnet members.

Like a computer modem? now that is pretty random.
The crime happened several years before I was born . There was a husband and wife having some marital issues. She was having an affair. So the husband killed her lover and thought he'd killed her but she survived. When he was caught he told the cops he threw the guns over the side of a bridge in town but the police never could find them. Turns out they were looking at the wrong bridge. The murderer of course had been locked up way before the guns were found And had already been died in prison.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to a few elderly ladies around here. They had there Fathers pistols and they threw them in rivers so there grandchildren could get a old of them. I think this happens more in the past then now though

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The FBI and local county Sheriffs were looking for a gun last week at Rhea’s bridge in Macon Co. IL. The bed of the Sangamon River there has 3’ of silt and the bottom is like a milkshake. I don’t know if they had any luck. I agree that many bridges probably have guns in the water.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Well so many good stories.
I have one to tell. I had a friend drop me off to do a kayak trip in a creek. It was many more miles than I thought. There was current so no turning around after the drop. I went a few miles and in the middle of nowhere I saw a big black hose running from the creek into the woods with a giant camouflage trap draped over some trees like a big tent. I saw a gas can sitting next to a pump. Being by myself I looked the other way and hurried out of there. After about a mile I slowed down and started enjoying the nature. Later on I saw a big bridge coming up and I thought maybe some gravel would be showing. I slowed down and started to get out just in time to hear a woman yell… hey come over here. The bridge being nowhere near any homes and I saw smoke from a fire. I jumped back in and yakked away. This trip ended up being a all day. Finally away from the bridge I probably went a few miles and turned the bend just in time to see a sign in the creek which said Smiths Property Stay Out!!! Well there wasn’t a fence so I kept going. No way I was going to try and go back just couldn’t make the trip against the current. But anyway I kept going turned another bend and there was men’s clothing scattered all along the bank even underwear. I looked up and there was some kind of fort with plywood planks 4 sided. Thank goodness nobody was out there cause all I could think about was the movie Deliverance. Talk about hauling it out of there. It was another 2 hours before I could even get to my truck. I never went back I never told anyone what I had seen.

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you found this out in the middle of nowhere? You think it was someone spreading ashes.
Yes that what I am thinking. I thought it was a dog tag but cleaned it enough to see crematory so I reburied it. I still visit the area with respect since someone obviously thought this was a beautiful area to spread a loved ones ashes.

OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once while down near Manassas VA I came across a LIVE HAND GRENADE World war 2 type. I called the police They came and took it. Never did hear any more about it. We was hunting a wooded property not to far from a fenced in school yard
Wow. obvious you did a good job pin pointing its location before digging your plug. Otherwise you might of grazed it with your shovel and how knows somehow remove the pin. Yikes
Another place I was hunting was near Vicksburg Mississippi. We was on a hillside (Private Ground ) and were hunting Cannon Shells. Got this loud signal and dug down about 2 to 3 feet hoping for a cannon ball and this white round thing appeared in the hole. It was a human skull. The man i was with had us stop digging and fill the hole back in. Not everyone that died during the war were buried in a cemetery. Robert said he went back and found a very large Ships cannon ball. .
And you or your buddy never mentioned this to anybody? Not even the land owner?
I talked to a few elderly ladies around here. They had there Fathers pistols and they threw them in rivers so there grandchildren could get a old of them. I think this happens more in the past then now though
Im just thinking about if i was a person that drove up on them. As i'm driving by I see 2 little old ladies dumping hand guns over the side of the bridge. LOL
Its not all ancient artifacts over here… found this buried .. spent ages looking for rest of the car.. alas still to be discovered 😆 xx
Never did find the rest huh...LOL. what is it anyway? Gas cap? (or for you a petrol cap?)
or hood emblem?
and in the middle of nowhere I saw a big black hose running from the creek into the woods with a giant camouflage trap draped over some trees like a big tent. I saw a gas can sitting next to a pump.
What the heck was going on there?
Yes that what I am thinking. I thought it was a dog tag but cleaned it enough to see crematory so I reburied it. I still visit the area with respect since someone obviously thought this was a beautiful area to spread a loved ones ashes.
Good for you👍

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not sure what it is, mosquitoes got the better of me today.
Too overgrown till the frosts.
20230915_131248.jpg
20230915_131320.jpg
20230915_131325.jpg

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
One time I found a Mountain Lion that the DNR said we didn’t have in our area. I got out of my yak to rest and it greeted me to say hello. I would of jumped in my yak and took off but my feet were in knee deep mud. It looked like a pit bull on steroids in case nobody has ever seen one. After yelling at it and waving my arms in the air it decided not to eat me. Which I was thankful. You know I bet someone will find my shoes in that mud one day thousands of years from now and say hey I found a cool fossil. NW Georgia

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One time I found a Mountain Lion that the DNR said we didn’t have in our area.
That's pretty scary. For what it's worth, I've seen three in my lifetime, also in an area that supposedly doesn't have any.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Wow. obvious you did a good job pin pointing its location before digging your plug. Otherwise you might of grazed it with your shovel and how knows somehow remove the pin. Yikes

And you or your buddy never mentioned this to anybody? Not even the land owner?

Im just thinking about if i was a person that drove up on them. As i'm driving by I see 2 little old ladies dumping hand guns over the side of the bridge. LOL

Never did find the rest huh...LOL. what is it anyway? Gas cap? (or for you a petrol cap?)
or hood emblem?

What the heck was going on there?

Good for you👍
I wish I knew, I doubt it was a moonshine still. Creeks aren’t as clean as they used to be. Maybe growing something would be my guess. Either way I’m not going back to find out. I’m just glad nobody was home when I went by. Probably still be out there if there had been.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread