Post the most random things you have found while out in the middle of the woods 🌲 🌲 🌲

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Its a hub cap from a
Wow. obvious you did a good job pin pointing its location before digging your plug. Otherwise you might of grazed it with your shovel and how knows somehow remove the pin. Yikes

And you or your buddy never mentioned this to anybody? Not even the land owner?

Im just thinking about if i was a person that drove up on them. As i'm driving by I see 2 little old ladies dumping hand guns over the side of the bridge. LOL

Never did find the rest huh...LOL. what is it anyway? Gas cap? (or for you a petrol cap?)
or hood emblem?

What the heck was going on there?

Good for you👍
its the hub cap of a 1980s Porsche 911…😆 xx found in a field miles from any road.. 😆 xx

Attachments

• IMG_9037.png
    IMG_9037.png
    441.2 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One time I found a Mountain Lion that the DNR said we didn’t have in our area. I got out of my yak to rest and it greeted me to say hello. I would of jumped in my yak and took off but my feet were in knee deep mud. It looked like a pit bull on steroids in case nobody has ever seen one. After yelling at it and waving my arms in the air it decided not to eat me. Which I was thankful. You know I bet someone will find my shoes in that mud one day thousands of years from now and say hey I found a cool fossil. NW Georgia
Thats a pretty crazy story. Around here in Maine their is a huge debate about those sized cats. People say their is no way mountain lions would be in Maine. But their are game cam pics of them. Also people argue about what a lion, bob cat, and linx actually are. People get confused with the proper naming i think.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Thats a pretty crazy story. Around here in Maine their is a huge debate about those sized cats. People say their is no way mountain lions would be in Maine. But their are game cam pics of them. Also people argue about what a lion, bob cat, and linx actually are. People get confused with the proper naming i think.
This one wasn’t real tall but was built like a pit bull really muscular shoulders. It was a grey brown color, no spots and had a long tail. It wasn’t a bob cat that’s for sure. It’s ears was down and tail wagging but showing teeth. It jumped down out of a tree with a thud went it hit the dirt. It’s body was long but thick. That’s all I can say. It seemed like an hour but probably was only 5 minutes

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
That's pretty scary. For what it's worth, I've seen three in my lifetime, also in an area that supposedly doesn't have any.
I have seen black panthers on cams in my area I haven’t seen any yet here but did see a couple in Florida. We were hunting rabbits and watch 2 doing the same thing in the distance

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen black panthers on cams in my area I haven’t seen any yet here but did see a couple in Florida. We were hunting rabbits and watch 2 doing the same thing in the distance
I would really like to see the pics, I find the stories of black cats very interesting. A local wildlife biologist was saying that melanism wasn’t genetically possible in solid color cats (African lions and cougars) only in spotted cats (leapords and jaguars etc). He also said that melanism is a dominant gene. So his take on black panthers is that they could be black jaguars or jaguarundis. From the descriptions of how big they are I would lean towards the jaguars if the melanism thing is true. There are a lot of people I know that have seen them so there is definitely something out there. It would be interesting to know for sure though.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I would really like to see the pics, I find the stories of black cats very interesting. A local wildlife biologist was saying that melanism wasn’t genetically possible in solid color cats (African lions and cougars) only in spotted cats (leapords and jaguars etc). He also said that melanism is a dominant gene. So his take on black panthers is that they could be black jaguars or jaguarundis. From the descriptions of how big they are I would lean towards the jaguars if the melanism thing is true. There are a lot of people I know that have seen them so there is definitely something out there. It would be interesting to know for sure though.
They are there, they have green eyes. Wasn’t my cam I viewed them on but the owners showed me and told me to carry a pistol when I was on their property. They looked just like a panther but solid black

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
signal-2023-12-27-15-19-18-255.jpg

We found a baby red squirrel out walking in the mountains, she became our friend. Our baby Æsclepias. We've found some high value things on our adventures but this little creature is arguably the most valuable thing we've ever found, she brings such joy to our home it's beyond any monetary value

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't have any photos, but when I was a kid I cams across a "corvette graveyard" one time in the middle of the woods, half a mile from the nearest road. There were half a dozen old (60's, 70's) corvette bodies rusting away in the woods. No engines, no wheels, no interiors, just the bodies. Weird.

But yeah, the outboard motor in the tree kinda tops it. 8-)
Since when does fiberglass rust??? Since never. But .. the embedded fasteners caused a lot of problems :)

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
If only i had a camera with me back in my hard core detecting days.
Cool thread though... enjoying this... and I do have a story or 2.
I have nay a picture to add though of the many weird things seen over the years.
Especially on days like the day on an area of rocky edged jetty beach without a sole around and see 3 very beautiful fully naked 20 and + year old California blondes smiling at me.
This happened in a State Park and it was to my displeasure to inform them that the beach they were on did not permit it and would land them in jail or with a ticket.
Man i felt like the party pooper... and to be honest ... it took me some time and was very slow in telling them so... ..... um ok a very long time.... :P
Wished i had carried a camera for some selfies with those new found fiends... who dressed and hung out for the day with me.... exchanged numbers and they were off back to Cali the next morn.
And then, when you awoke from your fever dream ... what did the doctors prescribe?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Root vs bottle

Attachments

• 20171008_154441.jpg
    20171008_154441.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18

IHC656

Jul 17, 2023
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not very good good pictures, because I was quickly taking them without touching anything, sent to the property owner, so he could alert the local police.
Very obvious I found a portable meth lab.
(Cameras where placed later, but meth cook was never found)

Attachments

• 6FDECE24-AE8D-4C9B-A175-8569563AC1D1.jpeg
    6FDECE24-AE8D-4C9B-A175-8569563AC1D1.jpeg
    381.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 9F207111-DC79-47F5-A8F9-AEEEA632E657.jpeg
    9F207111-DC79-47F5-A8F9-AEEEA632E657.jpeg
    471.8 KB · Views: 42
  • DA059766-9E34-4FDC-B066-1082DF391A07.jpeg
    DA059766-9E34-4FDC-B066-1082DF391A07.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 3A11F175-1E7F-40E9-AFE7-E14C05EEABF5.jpeg
    3A11F175-1E7F-40E9-AFE7-E14C05EEABF5.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 41
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Not very good good pictures, because I was quickly taking them without touching anything, sent to the property owner, so he could alert the local police.
Very obvious I found a portable meth lab.
(Cameras where placed later, but meth cook was never found)
So how do you like the meth hi, and how many toofs ya got left?

IHC656

Jul 17, 2023
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also found this battery in the middle of a field where many have metal detected.
Does this belong to any of you? South Michigan.

Attachments

• 57C16534-B393-4828-AB0A-5A41D79D2700.jpeg
    57C16534-B393-4828-AB0A-5A41D79D2700.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 6

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A cup cake pan and bottle of vinegar? Is that really a meth lab? I know nothing about meth but I’d think you would need a bit more equipment??

IHC656

Jul 17, 2023
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A cup cake pan and bottle of vinegar? Is that really a meth lab? I know nothing about meth but I’d think you would need a bit more equipment??
The duffel bag laying there I assume had all their other ingredients.
Plus neighbors seen suspicious people 2 year’s before quickly loading black bags from the woods into their car.

Attachments

• 538C78BE-25EA-4D6B-8B3F-512F8D9BCDA0.jpeg
    538C78BE-25EA-4D6B-8B3F-512F8D9BCDA0.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 4

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes there has to be more to the operation than that-but one can do a batch of bathtub crank.

"How do you cook meth? Unlike drugs such as marijuana, cocaine, and heroin, which are derived from plants, meth can be manufactured using a variety of store-bought chemicals. The most common ingredient in meth is pseudoephedrine or ephedrine, commonly found in cold medicine. Through a cooking process the pseudoephedrine or ephedrine is chemically changed into meth.

To curb production of methamphetamine, Congress passed the Combat Methamphetamine Epidemic Act in 2005, which requires that pharmacies and other retail stores keep logs of purchases of products containing pseudoephedrine and limits the amount of those products an individual can purchase per day.

How to cook crystal meth? The ingredients that are used in the process of making meth can include: ether, paint thinner, Freon, acetone, anhydrous ammonia, iodine crystals, red phosphorus, drain cleaner, battery acid, and lithium (taken from inside batteries). Toxicity from these chemicals can remain in the environment around a methamphetamine production lab long after the lab has been shut down, causing a wide range of damaging effects to health."

Cooking pseudoephedrine or ephedrine up a batch is quite easy back in the day. Take the nose inhalers apart and get the tampon, put them in a glass vessel with muriatic acid, crush the tampons for awhile they're in the acid.
Dump/squeeze liquid out onto a plate/tray place in freezer till frozen, scape off, pure speed/bathtub crank as we used to call it/then boot it.

Yes I was part of a crazy life, and 40 yrs later I have to wonder why the world hasn't learnt anything from history.
I can't imagine navigating the streets of today compared to what it was 40-45yrs ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread