Post Your Best Gold/Silver/Bronze Ring(over 100years Old)

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• ring3.jpg
    ring3.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 2,812
  • ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 2,988
  • Roman Ring.jpg
    Roman Ring.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 2,811
  • ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 2,731
  • ring3.jpg
    ring3.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 2,714
Upvote 0
Re: Post Your Best Gold/Silver Ring(over 100years Old)

The Fog said:
I found this ring during the first 2 weeks of owning a detector. I had no idea what I was doing, I heard a beep and I dug! (which is pretty much what I still do now 2 years later.) It was 10 inches down, I looked at my buddy (Brian W, he just started posting stuff here as well.) and said, hey I found a ring do you think this could be real? ( I was clueless, it wasn't tainted or tarnished, wiped the dust away and it was beaming.) He looked at the depth of the hole, looked at me, and said it was pretty much a given! I thought I could see some writing on the inside, but I'm afflicted with OFS (over 40 syndrome), and didn't have my glasses, ( I have to confirm with him when I find something to see if its a GW button or a flat washer.) he said "it's a name."

It was great to find a name with middle initial. I figured that in a fairly small town it shouldn't pose a problem to research.... wrong. I didn't even know if it was old or had just been turned under from farming. I took the ring to a jeweler and as soon as she looked at it she said, Oh my, It's georgian! Which meant nothing to me, until she said georgian period! Now I had a time frame to start digging into. One thing that struck me odd was how small the diameter of the ring was, it barely fit on my pinky. Later I would come to learn people were of smaller stature, living was hard, and there weren't many drive-thru's.

It took weeks of eliminating names from ancestory web sites, e-mails to knowledgeable folk, and then the confirming piece to nail it down without doubt was an image I found on the web while researching antique rings (posted below). the ring was owned by Moody P. Noyes born 2/13/1767, he married Anna Pike of Haverhill 1/24/1793 they had 13 children. Moody, Betsy, Theodore, Colonel Leonard W., Simeon N., Mary T, Thomas J., John L., George W, Almira, caroline and Nancy E.

The family owned Jeweler who made the ring are still in business today although they are now owned by Towle Silver. The ring was made during the first years of the jewelers operation and would have been made by the first silversmith. I decided to continue research to see if I could find the closest living descendant to give the ring back to. I never realized what a daunting task that would be, between poor record keeping, lines daughtering out, and families having 13 kids it was soon realized by simple math there could be over 1,000 names!

I ended up finding the e-mail address of a man that helped write a book called "The Noyes Descendants vol. II" and via e-mail he confirmed that all my research was correct, except he said there could be well over 5,000 names by now. I was kind of bummed out because the initial thought of what it would be like to give something like this back to the rightful owners would be something. But for now it sits with the things I've been gathering from cellar holes, and fields. I hope poor old Moody didn't take too much flack from the wife.

HH

Brilliant post, and ring :icon_thumleft:

Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
mile-ender said:
Iron Patch said:
MY RING is in with all my other treasure, here at home. :thumbsup: Sucks to be U! ...as in UK'ers! ;D
Personally, I'd love it if the museums here took more of an interest...
I wouldn't :-\ I have just recieved a letter today from the BM, about my Gold Stirrup ring, 16 months after I declared it :o and now I have to wait until 21/10/2010 before the valuation commitee sits........shocking :o

SS

That's because of that big hoard jumping the queue.
Personally, I would complain that the are not sticking to the 12 month guidelines that they published. Keep pushing & they will buckle. Happen to me.
I know it won't please you ....but never again :'(

SS

Personal choice, I'm not one to judge.

All I can repeat, is that, if you were to sell it privately you are unlikely to ever achieve the valuations (in my experience & many others I know). ie. the best that can happen, if you like to sell is that they want it & pay the valuation. Everyones a winner in my books. You get the money, museum gets the find & more importantly the information for future study. Anyway, all been said before, so must be boring now :-X

I totally agree that the wait is completely unacceptable & has made even me mad in the past.
sorry I bored you :-\ going over old ground :-X but I wanted those who don't know our Treasure laws, what a complete waist of time it is.

SS

No, not you. I meant I'm boring myself.

It is a shame I think that we have Laws that most of the World are envious of, yet the reality of them adminstering the system means that the Authority do not hold up their end of the bargain. It need re-modelling, they often blame the Coroner for holding things up & they were going to appoint a central 'Treasure' Coroner to deal with only Treasure. Still I believe they could save lots of time at the FLO stage by logging & immediately handing back all those stupid little pieces they know will not be wanted, freeing up time for the quality items. I have waited 1.5 years for a small bolb of silver to be returned :tongue3:

mile-ender said:
Iron Patch said:
MY RING is in with all my other treasure, here at home. :thumbsup: Sucks to be U! ...as in UK'ers! ;D
Personally, I'd love it if the museums here took more of an interest...

Yeah they'd take great interest in obtaining your finds for free and keeping them in storage. That's often how it works out. It's best to stay under the radar because if you give it enough time a trouble maker will come along.

Some real nice rings here! :thumbsup:
Well, I do have a lot of rings from the fur trade that are very old and valuable but I think I will pick out something different. This ring is not even from the fur trade but it is Victorian and is in mint condition. This silver ring was found at an extremely hunted out park (Assiniboine park) about 4 years ago. The park was made over 100 years ago and it had no trees in it's beginning. Thinking outside the box, I headed into the bushes and found a good handful of old coins and this ring. I haven't been able to figure out what the stone is but it is really nice. Almost turquoise-like. The ring is stamped sterling.
I certainly have more rings to post, but I have always liked this one and wanted to show it first. I think I will post my fur trade ones in that section of this forum.
Cheers,
Dave.

Attachments

• P1070265.JPG
    P1070265.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 2,333
  • P1070258.JPG
    P1070258.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 2,317

I pretty sure this is over 100 years old everything I found there was also

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 2,275
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 2,289

Muddyhandz said:
Some real nice rings here! :thumbsup:
Well, I do have a lot of rings from the fur trade that are very old and valuable but I think I will pick out something different. This ring is not even from the fur trade but it is Victorian and is in mint condition. This silver ring was found at an extremely hunted out park (Assiniboine park) about 4 years ago. The park was made over 100 years ago and it had no trees in it's beginning. Thinking outside the box, I headed into the bushes and found a good handful of old coins and this ring. I haven't been able to figure out what the stone is but it is really nice. Almost turquoise-like. The ring is stamped sterling.
I certainly have more rings to post, but I have always liked this one and wanted to show it first. I think I will post my fur trade ones in that section of this forum.
Cheers,
Dave.
A very nice ring :o with some nice open work Silver :thumbsup:

SS

ppratt said:
I pretty sure this is over 100 years old everything I found there was also
I would agree also :) over 100 years....nice 8)

SS

Child-sized ring made from a silver coin. c.1840-60

Simple, crudely-made, and beautiful. Dug by Rodeo Recon.

Ring.jpg

Ring1.jpg

Attachments

• Ring1.jpg
    Ring1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 2,148
  • Ring.jpg
    Ring.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 2,175

BuckleBoy said:

And personel :) proberbly made by the farther of the child :o which makes it more special :thumbsup:

SS

Silver Searcher said:
BuckleBoy said:

And personel :) proberbly made by the farther of the child :o which makes it more special :thumbsup:

SS

Thank you for the reply, SS. This is one of my top favorites of all the items my team has ever dug. :)

I am hesitant to post this here but those of you that have posted already seam to really know your rings. I have been wondering how old this ring is for a while now. It has always stood out to me from other rings I have found and is probably my favorite. I found it at a college and it was 6' deep. It says "Sterling" but no other markings. I don't really know where else to post this so here it is. Any opinion is appreciated even if it is a guess. I really don't think it is 100 years old but some of the other stuff y'all have posted I would never have guessed either. So I leave it to you.
TG

Attachments

• IMG_0893.jpg
    IMG_0893.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 2,135
  • IMG_0895.jpg
    IMG_0895.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 2,121
  • IMG_0894.jpg
    IMG_0894.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 2,115
  • IMG_0893.jpg
    IMG_0893.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 2,134
  • IMG_0894.jpg
    IMG_0894.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 2,115
  • IMG_0895.jpg
    IMG_0895.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 2,104

:hello:

Well it's a very nice ring :o and if it's not over 100 years old, then I would say around 1920s....close enough :icon_thumleft:

SS

My other 2, can anyone put a maker and date on them?

Attachments

• gold1.jpg
    gold1.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 2,068
  • gold2.jpg
    gold2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 2,043

Iron Patch said:

1982. Just a guess. :D

RPG said:
Iron Patch said:

1982. Just a guess. :D

I think the second might be early 1900s, and the first older. Both finds involved weird circumstances, weird enough to tell me that I probably wouldn't find much gold...and that has been very true.

Iron Patch said:
I think the second might be early 1900s, and the first older. Both finds involved weird circumstances, weird enough to tell me that I probably wouldn't find much gold...and that has been very true.

Do tell... :o

BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:

Do tell... :o

The short versions....

The thick band was found in a park back when I was fairly new to detecting. I was getting very frustrated having just dug 7 or 8 pulltabs in a row and decided to only dig coin signals. The next target also rang up pulltab but it didn't jump all over my screen so I thought that was enough reason to dig and it was the gold.

The thin one was found on a night that I wasn't finding much, and it was getting dark and starting to rain. I was on my way to the car and realized I had lost my digger. While swinging looking for it I got a signal and walked a few steps away but couldn't stand to leave a target so called my bud over so I could dig it out. Thought it was just a key ring until we got back in the car and realized it was gold. (I did find the digger too)

So my gold snake ring was from a quick stop at a site that was pretty quiet, and these two bands almost didn't happen. Gold does not turn up often at our old sites, but the next time it does I bet it will be good!

The first one is marked Solid Gold, the silver one was found 32yrs ago. It the hall marks on the outside of the band-till the jeweler did a repair and filled them.

Attachments

• detecting finds 969.jpg
    detecting finds 969.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,919
  • detecting finds 1240.jpg
    detecting finds 1240.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,909

pepperj said:
The first one is marked Solid Gold, the silver one was found 32yrs ago. It the hall marks on the outside of the band-till the jeweler did a repair and filled them.
Nice rings :o looks like some stones are missing from the first one :dontknow:

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back