Potentially EPIC bag of halves from coin counter

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Received a call from a branch of a bank I have accounts with, saying they heard from a manager of another branch that I buy halves. The manager of this branch said the bag on their machine recently filled and she said I could have dibs buying it before she shipped it out. The branch is 40 min away, so I was hesitant to go out that way to get it, the manager said "sir, you really should come out for this bag of coin." Interesting...

So, I cancel my office hours and drive out there. Long story short, the freakin bag is loaded. Driving back to town I took a few handfuls and each time I saw 2-3 90% rims along with some 40%. I dumped the coin in a plastic bin and took the pic below, hard to tell but there are a bunch of 64s sitting on the top, along with a WL and some 40%. Ill update the post with a total, Im hoping for $50 face in 90%, that would be cool. HH everyone!

scaled.php

Upvote 0
OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never bought a bag from a bank I am not a member of, I have tried though, they always say no. I have healthy accounts with the banks that do sell me bags. I am also very clear to the manager that I will:

A) Not, under any circumstance, bring the coins back to them.

B) Not complain if the bag is under.

- I use a 25 kilo scale to weigh the bag to be reasonably sure it is filled accurately.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet find! I asked about buying boxes from my credit union and they said that there would be fee for ordering and taxes since they order directly from the fed. My jaw just about dropped when I heard that. I mean come on. Has anyone else heard of this before? If anything I will be ordering boxes from my workplace on a regular basis if this is true. or worse comes to worse, head into town and find banks that will order boxes.

Smiles and Hugs
-garoulady

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet find! I asked about buying boxes from my credit union and they said that there would be fee for ordering and taxes since they order directly from the fed. My jaw just about dropped when I heard that. I mean come on. Has anyone else heard of this before? If anything I will be ordering boxes from my workplace on a regular basis if this is true. or worse comes to worse, head into town and find banks that will order boxes.

Smiles and Hugs
-garoulady

They don't order from the Fed, they order from a coin processing company.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweeeet! Congrats on this epic bag!

HH,
Anita

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Smiles and Hugs
-garoulady

No, I don't think anyone's ever experienced a bank trying to charge a fee for a box of coins before. Ever.

fjer

Aug 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's awesome! I'm waiting for the bag at my branch to fill up (as of last week it was $900 short, so that'll be a while...). I'd kill for it to have 10% of that!

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Namster,
I see at the barest minimum 5 silvers. Good luck! Can't wait to see the totals!
apush

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
namster said:
Slammed through all $800 worth. Results below, now have to rush back to work! HH!

42D, 42P, 43P, 44P, 45S, 49Sx2, 52D, 52P, 57D, 60Dx3, 62Dx2, 63D, 64x49, 65x4, 66x4, 67x10, 68x3, 69x4

Plus three stowaways: 10 Pesos 1999, 2002, 1 Peso 1981

Results are here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread