What's new

Praying Mantis

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2017
Messages
7,064
Reaction score
12,562
Golden Thread
0
Location
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stepped out on my front porch, and this very cool bug was hanging out on the siding ( believe it or not, the siding was scrubbed just a couple of months ago.)

An adult, about 3 inches long in the body. Thanks for looking. IMG_3604.webp
 
Those are the coolest bugs!
 
Nice! This guy was hanging out near Billy's grave....
DSC00686.webp TTC
 
Anyone else with bugs?
 
We get them around here too, Kray, but not often. I actually saw one clear up near 7,000' a few weeks ago. First one I've ever seen at that elevation. I was down by the Utah/Idaho border.
Jim
 
The ones we have here are lime green.
 

Attachments

  • Praying-mantis.webp
    Praying-mantis.webp
    70.7 KB · Views: 97
I usually see a mantis around this time of the year. Also walking sticks come around in the early fall. Maybe all this housing development around here has put an end them around here? I am noticing some things are beginning to reducing numbers here. If I think about it, I didn't see a lot of grasshoppers around this year either. Maybe that's way I see so many less Kestrels. I believe bugs are a big part of their diet?
 
Here I MI we don't see those much or Monarchs frogs Moths turtles All the fertilizer or progress from building. I haven't seen a cacoon since I was a kid
 
Love seeing the mantis, that’s a female. She’s already eaten her mate and won’t be around much longer...been seeing a lot of them lately.
 
"You must take this time as an opportunity to learn everything you can. To study, to practice, to absorb all the lessons of the mantis, for there are many. Patience, speed, adaptability, ruthlessness. The traits of a warrior king. Heed my words, and you will become as the mantis."
 
I have two of these spiders, genus Argiope, in my yard. This one lives right outside the patio.

121276A4-B094-4EA8-80A8-F72099324F77.webp14CD582B-CC0F-41A4-973D-451A5CD6889B.webp
 
Last edited:
A month ago we had a ton of young Mantis (only a inch long).Now we have these crazy looking spiders.004.webp
 
I usually see a mantis around this time of the year. Also walking sticks come around in the early fall. Maybe all this housing development around here has put an end them around here? I am noticing some things are beginning to reducing numbers here. If I think about it, I didn't see a lot of grasshoppers around this year either. Maybe that's way I see so many less Kestrels. I believe bugs are a big part of their diet?

The Kestrels are a species in trouble, as you say, probably from all of the development everywhere.
 
We have lots of kestrels here. The young ones DO feed heavily on grasshoppers in late summer.
Jim
 
I caught this one while I was playing around with my macro setting on my Nikon.
Seemed like he/she just felt like posing for me that day.
 

Attachments

  • P1010797 (1).webp
    P1010797 (1).webp
    16.3 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom