Prospecting a lost art..

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospector: the definition is "One who explores an area for a mineral deposit " It seems to me that most are content throwing in a sluice and panning in the river or creeks without giving much thought to the origin of the gold they are finding. I rarely come across an person who will be following gold up a hillside or even 100 feet from the water line. I wonder sometimes how many people actually still prospect. Now a days there are alot of different ways to get gold, dredging, underwater sniping ect. Are they considered prospectors? Or in a class all their own? I do not reconize gravel bars as deposits. More like a homeless camp of gold working its way to become new deposit somewhere. I'm curious as to what a Prospector is to some you? Also do all gold prospectors end up as miners??

Upvote 0

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with your comment, i for one believe in the LODE part of prospecting, its coming from somewhere, thousands and thousands of ozs came from somewhere
especially in the CA mother lode reading some of these books are unbelieveable in the amounts they describe, even though they hydraulicked or turned riverbeds to get at the gold. But i still believe in big veins of the stuff, waiting to be found. Ive gotten myself into a poor financial situation otherwise id be out there hunting au veins, getting older aint helping either.

johnnysau

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Prospector: the definition is "One who explores an area for a mineral deposit " It seems to me that most are content throwing in a sluice and panning in the river or creeks without giving much thought to the origin of the gold they are finding. I rarely come across an person who will be following gold up a hillside or even 100 feet from the water line. I wonder sometimes how many people actually still prospect. Now a days there are alot of different ways to get gold, dredging, underwater sniping ect. Are they considered prospectors? Or in a class all their own? I do not reconize gravel bars as deposits. More like a homeless camp of gold working its way to become new deposit somewhere. I'm curious as to what a Prospector is to some you? Also do all gold prospectors end up as miners??

To the contrary, I believe the “art” of gold prospecting has been refined and is thriving in the new age of gold mining and discovery. And yes, all gold “prospectors” become placer gold “miners,” once the discovery is made.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whelp I just started this past summer and I was always thinking about where the gold was coming from.
I know the two area's that I have worked have great gold but a short ways above the first spot there is nothing, now I dont know if that is due to dredging or if I have passed that lode up.
I have ran by with my metal detector on the hill/cliffsides and have only found trash so I have to think that this lode is somewhere in the creek.
It is also possible that it is gone and I am finding leftovers.

I research google earth maps as well to find area's that might hold gold, I know a lot of people do this and there are more everyday. :)

So I do not think it is a lost art.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ithink wat is happening is that most aren't that interested in lode gold aymore. There is so much red tape , government bs etc. that it isn't worth the hassel and expense for small miners. Prospectors are content to find a good paying spot and sink roots there and mine. I would say yes all prosectors do become at least placer miners.

B H Prospector

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, placer mining (which includes gravel bars) IS "deposit" mining, commonly known as placer mining. It is called "alluvial" deposits..... down in the bottoms (rivers, gulches). On the hillside is elluvial deposits. And ore, etc. Mining on or in the hillside is very labor intensive and expensive..... usually beyond the scope of recreational prospecting. To be considered ore mining, the rock being mined must be economically feasable. Indeed, the definition of "ore" is any collectable mineral in concentrations large enough to turn a profit when mined. TTC

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just don't know. For me once I started using big machines and dumptrucks it would become a job. Their would be no more smacking my hand with the hammer no more sounds of the river running. I'd have to listen to sounds of the "Tahoe National Forest" on my IPOD just to keep sane!! NO WAy !! I'm a Prospector I mine for a hobby>

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went to the NF American river with my stepdad and came across a nice little pocket of dirty gold in a crack wish I had vid of the crack before I entered it. All the gold was found in the area where I am doin the pointing. Before I busted it up I noticed a small depression covered in moss . After peeling of the moss it revealed a little bit of fractured rock and then I went to work I soon realized the primary deposit was directly beneath the fracture and quality dirt went down for 3 inches and I suspect by how the rock was fracturing in that part of the crack that more dirt can be had. But I've already had my talks about what hand tools are appropriate,so I just made due.. total pull for that pocket was only 1.8 grams only took about 2 hours to beat that rock up.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Marshall...great work and pretty gold. Time to buy a new pan I think!

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Was that a Garrett Gravity drop pan? Those have lifetime warranties, replace it if it gets works but right now it looks like its still going strong. :)

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's a Garrett's Gravity Trap, and even after the tragic attack of the angry boulder in 2010 the pan is still everything it was before and more!! I'm not sure what is is but I don't like using other pan's or people using mine. Its definitly more than a pan It's my dinner plate, I drink out of it and also use it for a rolling tray its been good to me. I think like me my pan has lot's of character..

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL, I stand corrected! LOL!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread