What's new

Question about my nutting stone and lets see yours

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Messages
1,492
Reaction score
895
Golden Thread
0
Location
md
Posted this earlier but now I'm questioning myself since it is small. Do you all think this should be called a nutter and let's see some of yours. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • image-1381421470.webp
    image-1381421470.webp
    41.7 KB · Views: 137
  • image-2845615296.webp
    image-2845615296.webp
    34.6 KB · Views: 121
  • image-2205177791.webp
    image-2205177791.webp
    41.4 KB · Views: 117
  • image-1657774300.webp
    image-1657774300.webp
    39.2 KB · Views: 124
Upvote 0
How big is that round one?
 
About the same as your nice find ,thumb in hole makes a nice tap tap tool for finishing out a hardstone axe groove ?
 
Seems like it was round for a purpose or from a repeated action anyway. I have a couple neather are round. One has two indents. The other one. that were ground into the stone both have impressions on the other side that show percussion damage.

ForumRunner_20121125_190917.webp



ForumRunner_20121125_191024.webp
 
What causes the switch to the other side? Is there a depth that is too deep? Nice stones !
 
I would think about the possibility of your piece being the top to a fire making spindel set up
 
Is It smooth/grounf on the reverse side?
 
GatorBoy said:
I would think about the possibility of your piece being the top to a fire making spindel set up

I have to agree. I'll post a pic in a few that look similar to the pics above!
 
I have one I found in my home here some place. Its made from a quartz rock and all the cortex is left on it. I believe mine is a hammer stone cause quartz is such a hard stone type. Yours looks like a softer stone type and wouldnt make a good hammer. JMO
 
I did play with the idea of fire starter
 
It would definitely show chips if it were ever repeatedly smacked into another stone. Seems like it would have taken sometime and trouble to make it round. my guess is it was for a good reason.
 
Last edited:
rock said:
Looks to be pecked to me.

Just wanted to say that pecking is almost always part of a 2 step process that is followed by grinding or sanding.
 
That would be last if at all
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom