Recent "Casting Call" message

Fish-Head Aric

Greenie
Sep 5, 2005
Chehalis, WA USA
Recent "Casting Call" message

I was reviewing the recent casting call message I received from Marc Austin. Now, this sounds like a really exciting prospect to jump on, however....

Just how seriously should one take something that uses the addy [email protected] as a contact. Should a GMAIL addy be considered a "serious inquiry" contact destination?

It would seem to me that any serious production would at least drop a few nickles to create an online identity including a web domain and related contact email such as "[email protected]", wouldn't it?

I am personally leary of an such things that claim to be part of a major operation, that use the internet as a main source of communication, yet have no apparent, distinct, legitimate online entity.

Things such as this come to mind:

Dear Mr. Fish-Head,

I am the the chief financial officer for Capital One Credit Cards, LLC. A vast sum of money amounting to no less that $5,000,000 U.S. has come my way and we require an upstanding citizen to hide it under their mattress for the weekend. a 32.5% commission shall be awarded, tax-free, if you would kindly assist.

Please respond with your full name, address, home and cel phone number, social security number, and complete savings/checking account information, plus blood-bank account number so that we can verify your credit, dna and health status.

We look forward to padding your bed soon.

Sincerely,

Rob D. Kiddoes
Chief Operating Officer
Capital One,

LLC.
101 Beebopping Lane
Twiddlelahara, XI 12324-989
Antarctica
bob.the.dog@[color=limegreen][b]hotmail.com[/b]

(Note, the previous sample "TEASER" letter is purely fictitious, and not to be considered a legitimate business offer in any way)

Several things in Rob's letter should be redlights... including the fact that Capital One is NOT an LLC, there is no Twiddlelehara or state/province of XI in Antarctica... and Capital One does not generally use common free-hosting web emails to do their email business.

Am not even going to start to analyze the ludicrous nature of the letter itself (which I created solely on the spot, here, for an example), though I did red the key warning signs.

I don't mean to demean our fine host, Marc Austin, though I do with to hear from Marc to further validate the legitimacy of this assuredly legitimate serious inquiry prospect.

Comments welcome.

detector99

Nov 1, 2004
NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Recent "Casting Call" message

My name is Frank Pandozzi. I am the Executive Producer of Exploring History's Treasures TV series. (http://www.exploringhistorystreasures.com) We are all about metal detecting and history. We were the first production company that filmed a TV series that involved real treasure hunters, who love history. That was back in 2005. Our TV series, although never syndicated, became a huge success across the country. Since that time there have been a number of copy-cat productions who are trying to film a metal detecting/treasure hunting series. Unfortunately they are also lying to hobbyists by telling them they will get on to TV if they can film them as they detect. I know of three so called production companies that have made these promises but has never delivered. Instead, they use their footage to produce and sell their own DVD's.

Involvement with a professional production company involves contracts. If you are not signing one, and it does not spell out exactly what you are getting for your participation, then you better back away. As far as I know, we are the only production company still filming a metal detecting TV series. Thanks!

Frank

OP
OP
Fish-Head Aric

Fish-Head Aric

Greenie
Sep 5, 2005
Chehalis, WA USA

detector99 said:
My name is Frank Pandozzi. I am the Executive Producer of Exploring History's Treasures TV series. (http://www.exploringhistorystreasures.com) We are all about metal detecting and history. We were the first production company that filmed a TV series that involved real treasure hunters, who love history. That was back in 2005. Our TV series, although never syndicated, became a huge success across the country. Since that time there have been a number of copy-cat productions who are trying to film a metal detecting/treasure hunting series. Unfortunately they are also lying to hobbyists by telling them they will get on to TV if they can film them as they detect. I know of three so called production companies that have made these promises but has never delivered. Instead, they use their footage to produce and sell their own DVD's.

Involvement with a professional production company involves contracts. If you are not signing one, and it does not spell out exactly what you are getting for your participation, then you better back away. As far as I know, we are the only production company still filming a metal detecting TV series. Thanks!

Frank

Frank, it is good of you to come forth as you did. Nowhere did I make any insinuations that you imply, or if I did, it was unintended.

If you re-read the message, you will find that I simply wished to put out a "general purpose warning", not merely concerning your company's allegedly legitimate project - which I think is an awesome and great idea/concept.

Marc wrote me personally to affirm the nature of your business, so I simply wish to carry on the discussion as a launch-off for public awareness of the existence of other entities that may be less "up and up," and predatory toward many treasure-hunting entusiasts...

as per my words to Marc:

"Marc, I'm sorry if my opening the thread on the subject was ill-received in some way. It seemed a decent opportunity to discuss such things - even if not the case that this is bogus. Simply, I thought it would be worth having an open discussion on such things in general. After all, treasure hunters are people who look at the "positive possibilities" when presented something that might be profitable... and sometimes get taken by those who prey on such personalities."

Frankly, Frank, I would not be reassured by your company in the way that your reply here has been presented. Perhaps your production team could use a professional P.R. man (or woman) to help you maintain a more positive image to those that you seek to impress.

Incidentally, my lines of work have always focused heavily on "professional, positive and carefully crafted public image". I would be pleased to assist your efforts in such ways.

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

I sent out that casting call to our members AFTER I investigated the company. They wish to remain anonymous not to give their competitors any ammunition.

I can ASSURE everyone - the casting call is legit, and may offer someone here a HUGE opportunity.

I would NEVER send out something like that without doing some due diligence... my suspicions, like yours, were raised right off the bat - especially with the gmail address.... but I have since opened up communications with them using a very well known TV production company's email AND phone. This IS legitimate.

Good luck everyone.

Thanks,
Marc

OP
OP
Fish-Head Aric

Fish-Head Aric

Greenie
Sep 5, 2005
Chehalis, WA USA

Marc said:
I sent out that casting call to our members AFTER I investigated the company. They wish to remain anonymous not to give their competitors any ammunition.

I can ASSURE everyone - the casting call is legit, and may offer someone here a HUGE opportunity.

I would NEVER send out something like that without doing some due diligence... my suspicions, like yours, were raised right off the bat - especially with the gmail address.... but I have since opened up communications with them using a very well known TV production company's email AND phone. This IS legitimate.

Good luck everyone.

Thanks,
Marc

Marc, in light of that, can you confirm or deny the post left here by Frank? In the interest of "legitimacy and the integrity of the forum," it would do well, in my eyes at least, to validate Frank's claim. Provided Frank is who he states he is, I wholeheartedly support his endeavor, and want to give my best to his fine project of promoting the "Spirit of Treasure Hunting!"

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Fish-Head Aric said:
Marc said:

Good luck everyone.

Thanks,
Marc

Marc, in light of that, can you confirm or deny the post left here by Frank?

It seems to me Frank has left enough info there for you to confirm his legitimacy.

I can not set a precedent of verifying posters identity or legitimacy.

The casting call came from a source outside the forum.

Sorry.

Marc

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wanted to throw my two cents in. I have actually spoken to Frank Pandozzi on a few occasions in the past. Not only is he a wealth of knowledge on this hobby of ours, but, he is also a real gentleman.
He is indeed a trustworthy and LEGITIMATE individual as anyone will clearly see by visiting his website. He has been in the "game" for quite a while and is one of the "old hands" when it comes to metal detecting.

He also puts out a line of professionally produced DVD's that are not only EXTREMELY informative, but, are also quite a hoot as well. His treasure hunting show was actually airing on real, live television channels throughout the country.

Before anyone jumps to judgement, please take a trip on over to his website (the URL is above in his post) and have a look for yourself. I'm sure you'll like what you see. I stumbled across Frank's site soon after getting into this pursuit. Aside from ordering his DVD's, I also contacted him personally for some advice. He was beyond gracious and spent a lot of time setting a noob like me straight.

And if you read this thread Frank, please do keep up the good fight and work in this great hobby of ours. You might not recognize me by my screen name, however, if you're curious, just shoot me a PM and I'll get back to you. Methinks you'll remember me :thumbsup:

detector99

Nov 1, 2004
NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

First let me start by saying that I am not upset with Fish Head Aric. I was going to post a warning on this forum re: the production company whether or not anyone already did.

I also want it to be known that I am not accusing this particular company of any wrong doings. I am merely bringing to everyone's attention that they should be careful.

I want to thank everyone for the kind words about our production at EHT, (Exploring Historys Treasures) and the response that we are continuing to receive from our viewers out west. It has always been my intention to provide you with the best and most honest TV regarding metal detecting/treasure hunting.

Thank you to all for your support.

Frank

WilliamBoyd

Sep 22, 2007
California

Unfortunately, a "Major TV Production Company" with a Gmail address
raises lots of red flags of suspicion.

The fact that the company was not identified in the email is another problem.

:)

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

WilliamBoyd said:
Unfortunately, a "Major TV Production Company" with a Gmail address
raises lots of red flags of suspicion.

The fact that the company was not identified in the email is another problem.

:)

I hope it adds to the mystery! LOL LOL LOL

8)

I would not put my name on the line - or spam our members - if I had ANY doubt as to the legitimacy of the casting call. We have sent out fewer emails than ANY website our size.... there's a reason for that!

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

good afternoon Frank: I trust Marc, even if he is a would be womanizing bum, a drunk, and a worthless adventurer, perhaps, because he is so like my vision of myself----. Well, one can dream no? sigh. I am a frustrated reincarnation of Stewart Granger.. Now about Ellenor Parker? sigh

Seriously, I visited your site and blog, I liked it. I signed in and posted a comment.

I encourage others to do so also. And if you have an interesting project, talk to them. You can always keep "X" a secret.

Best of luck my friend

Don Jose de La Mancha

detector99

Nov 1, 2004
NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don, based on your post, I would have assumed you were a reincarnation of Don Quixote. lol

Thank you for your comment and your kind words. We at EHT (Exploring History's Treasures) have some exciting things coming in the future.

I hope that everyone will stay in touch by visiting our blog at http://www.exploringhistorystreasures.com

Frank

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

detector99 said:
Don, based on your post, I would have assumed you were a reincarnation of Don Quixote. lol

Thank you for your comment and your kind words. We at EHT (Exploring History's Treasures) have some exciting things coming in the future.

I hope that everyone will stay in touch by visiting our blog at http://www.exploringhistorystreasures.com

Frank
Dear Mr. Fishhead,
Where do you sign up to get the 32.5% of the $5,000,000? Will I need more than one mattress? ;D

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

good evening Dman: I presume that you went to the site and blog?

Actually, if you were making videos of this type, where would YOU go for more stories, and how would YOU present it??

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s Frank, now you have an idea what I tilt. Wind mills went out in the late 1600's.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)

Hola amigos,
I think this is a great idea and look forward to watching it on TV in the future. I have only one 'caveat' for anyone considering joining up to film treasure hunts; make sure that your site "X" is blurred enough that it won't get over-run with people the moment the program is aired on TV.

My wife and I own a mine in California, and one fine day we watched as a whole crew came down the canyon, filming for an episode of the Gold Prospectors Show, with George "Buzzard" Massie as the host. We thought gee, that is neat as they went on and didn't think any more of it until a few months later when that particular episode ran on television. We then had more claim jumpers than you could shake a stick at, literally; I had guns poked in my face, threats, etc and besides being rude and high grading gold from our mine, one fellow was even killed by digging at the mouth of a tunnel where the earth is the most dangerous and loose that caved on top of him, right in front of his newlywed. He was dead by the time we got him dug out. So by all means do film your treasure hunt - I for one would LOVE to see more treasure hunts on TV; but do keep your site location as blurry to the public as you can.

Good luck with this, I look forward to watching! :thumbsup:
Roy ~ Oroblanco

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, I think Frank's alright. I have reservations about TV reality shows. (But I do look in on them from time to time.) I'd probably look good on the TV, but I don't really have no projects goin on they'd be interested in. Marc might be really good to do a TV show about. We'd all watch it at least once anyway.

detector99

Nov 1, 2004
NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi guys, about our reality TV show. One thing we never do, and never will do is shoot reality TV with re-shoots. We do not stage scenes, nor do we plant finds, like others do. We were the first metal detecting TV, reality series, and we became a hit because we were viewed as authentic. Viewer's can tell who is sincere and who is not. Viewer's are not stupid, they know when they're being had. It is also much more difficult to film this way. People want to see exciting stuff, and if we have filmed all day, for 10 hours, and nothing exciting happens, it's a waste of time and money. With un-reality, reality TV, if Survivor for instance has shot all day, and nothing happens, they re-shoot with staged scenes. They have to, their budget to shoot, and their time line does not allow them free time and free film.

Also, we never give away the area we film in. We have signed contracts with the property owners that we will never divulge where we film. And, we have never had a problem with treasure hunters raping and pilfering sites after we filmed an area.

Thank you!
Frank

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

detector99 said:
Hi guys, about our reality TV show. One thing we never do, and never will do is shoot reality TV with re-shoots. We do not stage scenes, nor do we plant finds, like others do. We were the first metal detecting TV, reality series, and we became a hit because we were viewed as authentic. Viewer's can tell who is sincere and who is not. Viewer's are not stupid, they know when they're being had. It is also much more difficult to film this way. People want to see exciting stuff, and if we have filmed all day, for 10 hours, and nothing exciting happens, it's a waste of time and money. With un-reality, reality TV, if Survivor for instance has shot all day, and nothing happens, they re-shoot with staged scenes. They have to, their budget to shoot, and their time line does not allow them free time and free film.

Also, we never give away the area we film in. We have signed contracts with the property owners that we will never divulge where we film. And, we have never had a problem with treasure hunters raping and pilfering sites after we filmed an area.

Thank you!
Frank

Frank,
Unless you predate John Trevillian and Frank Carter, of Spy Glass Productions, you are not the first detector reality show. Can't think of the year but I'll get out to the shed and "fill in the blanks".

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

OOPS, I called him John--- should have been Bob Trevillian. None-the-less, they hade a detector show going in 1985 as you can see. They also did a book called Diamonds in the Surf, about detecting the Cheasapeak bay. The show "Treasure Search" did not last the whole season, as I remember. TTC

Attachments

• IMG_0615 (2).jpg
    IMG_0615 (2).jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0616.jpg
    IMG_0616.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 243

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread