Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• beltbuckle.png
    beltbuckle.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,357
Upvote 17
GOOD LORD IN HEAVEN MAN!!! Congratulations!!!! YES, it is as rare as hen's teeth. Find of a lifetime!

"Rare as hen's teeth"...HAHA! Never heard that before. Thank you!

I'm not sure about that. How would I find that out?

Is the brass quite thin and look like the detail is stamped into it, or is it a bit thicker and heavier as though it was cast in a mold?

That one is at the top pf my list
Congrats on that one

Is the brass quite thin and look like the detail is stamped into it, or is it a bit thicker and heavier as though it was cast in a mold?

I had a friend look at it and he thinks its cast brass. Does that make a difference in the value?

image-996281958.jpg

Attachments

• image-4256329557.jpg
    image-4256329557.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 149
  • image-3264104683.jpg
    image-3264104683.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 132
  • image-909837801.jpg
    image-909837801.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 145

Actually, we think its stamped now. It has a lot of detail and I'm not sure if that can be done with a cast.

looks stamped to me??
I would remove your location from your avatar area....its serious....folks are ruthless on stuff like this,they will site jump you,in a heart beat

These plates are stamped brass. They almost never have attachment hooks on the back. You can find a example for sale at Sgtriker.com that is identical to yours. Also please do not do any more cleaning and place it in a case. Dropping this relic could do considerable damage that could ruin such a amazing find. Again great find

Last edited:
Actually, we think its stamped now. It has a lot of detail and I'm not sure if that can be done with a cast.

Yes.. by your last photos, I concur that it is stamped brass. Very nice find, indeed! Congratulations.

The buckle is of course stamped brass, because you can see the design on Both sides since the brass is thin. This is a DREAM find! Seriously a find of a lifetime. DON'T try to bend the corner back. Also, it is as clean as it needs to be--virtually a flawless buckle, so do not do anything else to it. It is perfect. So it really has EVERYTHING going for it. It is a 10 in terms of rarity, and a 10 in terms of condition (no serious bends, the detail and patina are flawless!).

KILLER find!

-Buckleboy

Thank you so much, Buckleboy...I really appreciate the feedback!

[h=3]congratulations! That is an awesome find!:hello2:[/h]

Holy moly thats sweet!! Congrat, may I ask where at in This great state of Va?

Sarawiseman- are you going the Fredericksburg Civil War relic show this weekend? if you are there will be some top civil war experts @ the show that would love too look @ this. The show is this weekend @ the Eagles Lodge in Stafford. I am going too certainly show the pictures too some folks of this beautiful Buckle.

Sarawiseman- are you going the Fredericksburg Civil War relic show this weekend? if you are there will be some top civil war experts @ the show that would love too look @ this. The show is this weekend @ the Eagles Lodge in Stafford. I am going too certainly show the pictures too some folks of this beautiful Buckle.

I'll have to check it out. Silly question- should I bring the buckle with me?

I'll have to check it out. Silly question- should I bring the buckle with me?

I don't see any reason why not but just be extra careful with it of course and don't show it to the general public if you can find a guy by the name of Dennis Cox or Nick Harris they are top notch experts @ this.. Dennis himself has dug over 300+ confederate plates and buckles and is the master at buckles & plates, he would LOVE too see this artifact.. There will be a couple same Virginia rectangle buckles there you can look @ and compare it with yours and then get some feed back from a expert in person, i would highly advise it!! Love the buckle wish I could buy it off yah! Good luck man!

Also CurleysGold posted a link on the first page of this thread on where the show is @ and times.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back