Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after being with my girlfriend for 11 years, she had a dog part Chow and Husky mix she got a year prior. Sasha had subcombed to getting weak the last couple of weeks. I came in from out of town on Saturday evening, April 28th, and she wasn't her cheery self like she had always been when I come in the door. So my girlfriend tells me that Sasha hadn't eaten in 3 days, (she is finiky and east when she wants to but never went longer than 3 days without eating), and my girlfriend said Sasha was throwing up that very day I came home.

Well, I brought Sasha to the 24 hour vet that has a doctor on staff, (being it was 8:30pm), and they did blood work, then the vet says she may have some blockage because she wasn't eating, then tells me her blood count was high, she had pancrietitus and also a diabetic adn she need dialisis right away, she needed to stay over night, and it was going to cost $2,500. Then he again mentions she may haev blockage, but didn't take any x-rays!

I asked told the vet I didn't believe she was a diabetic and insisted on it. So then he decides to do a urin test which tunred out Sasha was not a diabetic. so i told him I was going to bring her to my regular vet.

So Monday I brought her to my regular vet, they get the blood work report and he gets her on an IV as she wasn't drinking enough water and was dehydrated. Then he does an x-ray and found her whole insides of her body to include her lungs had tumors, too bad to even try and cure her.

So I brought her home and did the best comfort for her I could do, still couldn't get her to eat. She got to the point her legs got weak and I had to carry her outside to go pee. Then yesterday around noon took a turn for the worse. She kept throwing up more, and just laying there looking around.

I continued to pet her and be at her side comforting her. So this morning I had to do the unthinkable to me but a benifit to her so she wouldn't suffer anymore and be in such pain.

The first picture is of her from yesterday when she finally stood on her own and the last 2 photos was just before her going into peace and a better place.

The other couple of photos is of her getting ready to take a bath, which she always loved taking, and the other one, was just relaxing in the living room.

Sasha has been the best child anyone could ever have and always been a very best friend that no other animal can replace! She had her own unique way about her. She loved going for walks, riding in the car or truck, anything as long as we brought her anywhere. I feel a little guilty that I have to work for a living and never was able to bring to to many places I dreamed of taking her. I know I will see her again in another time and place!

You know when you think about dogs, most people leave them in the back yards all their lives and pretty much most dogs only see 4 walls and the back yard. I always enjoyed showing Sasha what I could and I know she left here with memories of things we did and places we went together even though she was a house dog, she loved her back yard, but she liked traveling to new places so it was always exciting for her!

Sasha May 02 2013.JPG Sasha Tub.JPG Sasha Living Room.JPG Sasha 2013-3.JPG Sasha 2013-7.JPG

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm so sorry Harley. It's such a sad thing to lose a part of ones family. She was beautiful.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I know how hard it is to put down a beloved pet who in all sense is really a family member... You can't help feeling you let them down because they depend on us to take care of them...

You did the best you could and made his final hours peaceful and loving....:thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Metro Retro

Apr 8, 2013
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful, beautiful Sasha. You were all so very fortunate to have each other, and you're right -- we always see our loved ones again. May the memories of the love you shared and good times carry you through, and always know that she watches over you. Hugs to all.

darthoblio

Jun 19, 2010
So very sorry! Having had to go through this quite a few times over the years, I know well how it hurts. I always advise folks to grieve as long as they have to but then get another dog (or cat). You have too much love in you not to share, and so many animals never get as lucky as Sasha was to have such a good companion.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm sorry for your loss.Sasha looked like she was a good friend.

OP
OP
TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! Yeah, I had plenty of other dogs, cats, and even a couple of birds. My girlfriend used to tease me that I treated and talked to Sasha like a little kid! Which I will admit, I did, I called her my little pretty girl, spoiled her with treats all the time, and talked to her like a person. I told my girlfriend that I only did that because she, (my girlfriend), wouldn't talk to me so I had to haev someone to talk to!! Sasha listened to me!

It was good when I had my business working teh motorcycle rally circuit over 7 years until I got out of it in 2010. Pretty much I was home very day with the exception of going to a rally once a month so I had time to do things with her.

I don't want another dog as of yet because I am not trying to replace Sasha! I will grieve for a while, but I can only hope that dog reincarnation happens and Sasha finds me again! Yeah, right, but we all have hopes right?

Well guess I will see what leads down the road!

This is what the Pet Crematorium made for me. It is kind of funny, because I never told anything personal about Sasha and sometimes Sasha will see a rabbit in our back yard and chase it and funny how it is mentioned in the message!

Sasha condolence card.jpg

cmaracing

Mar 30, 2012
New Bedford, Mass
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett PP.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your loss, I lost my buddy that I raised from a pup, but I will always have the memories.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harley,

That's a hard blow, I know the feeling. I myself have had to put down several friends. From cats and dogs, to favorite horses, all acts of mercy. I also talk to all my animals, my favorite animal to talk to was a nanny goat. She was never penned up, and ran loose in the ranch. When I would ask her something she would always answer back with a naaaaaa. Even is she was eating she would answer with a full mouth. I would ask her if she thought it was going to rain, and I would get a naaaaaa. Do you think the Cowboys are going to the playoffs? Naaaaaa.

Homar P. Olivarez

OP
OP
TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harley,

That's a hard blow, I know the feeling. I myself have had to put down several friends. From cats and dogs, to favorite horses, all acts of mercy. I also talk to all my animals, my favorite animal to talk to was a nanny goat. She was never penned up, and ran loose in the ranch. When I would ask her something she would always answer back with a naaaaaa. Even is she was eating she would answer with a full mouth. I would ask her if she thought it was going to rain, and I would get a naaaaaa. Do you think the Cowboys are going to the playoffs? Naaaaaa.

Homar P. Olivarez

Yeah, that is funny! Woke up this morning without Sasha and the hosue feels empty! I know in time I will be OK!

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! Yeah, I had plenty of other dogs, cats, and even a couple of birds. My girlfriend used to tease me that I treated and talked to Sasha like a little kid! Which I will admit, I did, I called her my little pretty girl, spoiled her with treats all the time, and talked to her like a person. I told my girlfriend that I only did that because she, (my girlfriend), wouldn't talk to me so I had to haev someone to talk to!! Sasha listened to me!

It was good when I had my business working teh motorcycle rally circuit over 7 years until I got out of it in 2010. Pretty much I was home very day with the exception of going to a rally once a month so I had time to do things with her.

I don't want another dog as of yet because I am not trying to replace Sasha! I will grieve for a while, but I can only hope that dog reincarnation happens and Sasha finds me again! Yeah, right, but we all have hopes right?

Well guess I will see what leads down the road!

This is what the Pet Crematorium made for me. It is kind of funny, because I never told anything personal about Sasha and sometimes Sasha will see a rabbit in our back yard and chase it and funny how it is mentioned in the message!

View attachment 789884
My heart goes out to , she was beautiful.
She is an angle in Gods hands with undieing love for you, they are pure just the way God made them. If you belive in God you will know she will be waiting for you when it's your turn.
I am going through the same pain and hurt you are feeling with the lost of my beautiful Jack russell ( Buster ) I Had for 12 years.
He was my Angel and he was in my arms when he passed away, What keeps me going is knowing that when my time comes I will hear his bark as I cross over to see him and all my loves ones.
God bless
Sam

BigMoses777

Apr 4, 2013
Just looking at that sweet face says it all. And the all too familiar wrap on her arm... I just put my friend of 13 years down in December. I hope you don't mind if I put a pic on here. This is Zeke, your sweetheart will have a great guy ready to welcome her home.

image-3246123552.jpg

OP
OP
TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just looking at that sweet face says it all. And the all too familiar wrap on her arm... I just put my friend of 13 years down in December. I hope you don't mind if I put a pic on here. This is Zeke, your sweetheart will have a great guy ready to welcome her home.

View attachment 792913

Nah, I don't mind. He is a nice looking dog. Yeah, I had brought her to the vet and when they x-rayed her and found the tumors and also said she had pancriatitus they had given her an IV all day because she was dehydrated and the doc gave me some steriods for her and said if she didn't eat or get better by 2 days later I should consider putting her down, and if she is getting better within those 2 days I could bring her in and they would remove the cathiter. You can bet I did everything I could to get her to eat, even baby food and yogurt and spooning it in her mouth to eat it to get her strength back up. I know it was hard for her for me to have to pry her mouth open because she was basically trying to starve ehrself to death. That morning when I took the last picks of her with the wrap on she jsut couldn't stand but I could tell just by the way she looked she justs wanted to lay and enjoy the sun and feel the cool breeze.

Then I told her it was time, and I know people will think I am nuts, but I am still beating myself up for putting her down. I know she was in pain and I was at a point on deciding to take off work for a week to feed her, carry her outside and try and get her strength built back up, but I was only wishful thinking as I knew deepdown she was hurting. I would still rather had her die in my arms than to be cut short of a few days or even weeks left.

BigMoses777

Apr 4, 2013
Nah, I don't mind. He is a nice looking dog. Yeah, I had brought her to the vet and when they x-rayed her and found the tumors and also said she had pancriatitus they had given her an IV all day because she was dehydrated and the doc gave me some steriods for her and said if she didn't eat or get better by 2 days later I should consider putting her down, and if she is getting better within those 2 days I could bring her in and they would remove the cathiter. You can bet I did everything I could to get her to eat, even baby food and yogurt and spooning it in her mouth to eat it to get her strength back up. I know it was hard for her for me to have to pry her mouth open because she was basically trying to starve ehrself to death. That morning when I took the last picks of her with the wrap on she jsut couldn't stand but I could tell just by the way she looked she justs wanted to lay and enjoy the sun and feel the cool breeze.

Then I told her it was time, and I know people will think I am nuts, but I am still beating myself up for putting her down. I know she was in pain and I was at a point on deciding to take off work for a week to feed her, carry her outside and try and get her strength built back up, but I was only wishful thinking as I knew deepdown she was hurting. I would still rather had her die in my arms than to be cut short of a few days or even weeks left.

I want to tell you to stop beating yourself up over this but I understand why. I had many of the same thoughts with Zeke. I still second guess myself every once in a while, especially when I'm really missing him. Give yourself time to grieve and celebrate her life, don't dwell on her death. Each dog has its own personality and I'm sure you know what she would tell you if she could. She would tell you not to dwell on or worry over your decision, right? She would probably tell you that you gave her the best life a dog could have, right? - BTW, beautiful placard.

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harley, putting them down is a mercy. The most selfless gift you can give to one you love . It hurts us deep, but we do it for them. To have let her lay around in pain till she died woulda been cowardly and unkind. So be thankful you had the courage to do it.
I have loved and lost many many pets. And it's always hard as hell when the time comes. I take in animals with disabilities , major issues, old , whatever. They are all special and deserve love. One of my dogs , Rebel is blind , has diabetes, and covered in tumors... It will literally be any day now , that I will have to face what you are. I tell him how much I love him all the time. And tell him to let Mommy know when he is ready to go.. Enough of that I'm crying now.. Lol
Anyway back to you. You gave her an incredible life and don't you feel guilty for a moment ! She was loved and she will wait for you. I do suggest you get another dog. I myself don't wait long at all, cause the dogs at the pound don't got time for me to wait. She was a shelter dog , right? Honor her by getting another dog from there and saving a life. I try to give as many animals in my lifetime as I can, it's my purpose .. I feel. It's not for everybody , but wow do you ever got so much love to share!! Please when your ready , share that love again. Maybe get a boy, if your afraid you'll compare them to Sasha to much.
Sorry this has gotten so long! One last thing , I had my shelter boy Duke, and we were tight as fright could be.. Such a connection, like you had with her. He had progressive scoliosis( he was totally bent at an angle , and it eventually got to the point he was falling over and miserable and it was time. I was so upset and beside myself , I think it was why I went into early labor. I was pregnant obviously . It was an awful delivery , I was in bad shape . I was in bed in the middle of the night when I came to. It was dark and nobody was in there but me. I knew I was in the hospital and was totally coherent , but man did I ever feel Duke's presence . I put my hand down off the side of the bed and smiled and whispered " duke" . And I fell back to sleep. In the morning I heard 2 nurses talking outside my door, the one said "'I went into her room last night , I was so positive somebody else was in there with her, I went in and nobody was there"
That kinda confirmed it for me. So if you feel her nearby, she probably is:) bless you friend.

OP
OP
TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jimmi, and Big Moses! I am done beating myself up about it, and I am ALL GOOD!!

Jimmi I am sorry to hear about Rebel. That is strange about your dog Duke! Guess there are strange things that happen for reasons, especially after the after life. BTW, I had a dog named Duke! He was part Pit Bull and Catahoula. His whole body was Pit and the color Catahoula. He looked like someone vomited all over him!! Biggest baby of them all, my kids used to ride on his back, he was very protective and a good guard dog, but the biggest baby when you started to pet him because he didn't want you to quit!

About 27 years ago before I joined the service I had a Duke that became blind at the age of 6, I did everything to help him and didn't want to put him down. Other than him being blind he was healthy. My brothers and friends said put him down, but I refused. I know after helping him get around he caught on, and of course forget ever changing the furniture around, moving his food and water bowls, etc. In his mind he knew exactly where everything was and he always found his way around the house and his way around outside! I guess his sense of smell and hearing really kicked in! He lived for 15 years before I had to put him down. That bothered me a bit too, but I was surprised he lived that long.

Deep down I knew I did the right thing Sasha, but we in life want the ones we love to last forever and we take for granite that the day may come and we don't realize it before it is too late! She was not a shelter dog. My ex-girlfriend got her when she was 3 months old.

I will get another dog, but not just yet. I work too much out of town and I am working on a project to get a business rolling again so I won't haev to travel abroad and not knowing where I will be working next! All these new schools and existing schools wanting sport complexes built, new artificial football fields, etc. At least I am working so that is a good thing, but it sucks because I haven't been metal detecting of gold prospecting in a good while!!! This summer though I am taking a road trip don't know exactly where. Talked with a friend who may be going out to California, but all I know is I am going where there is some gold!!

I had really good memories of Sasha and the things I did with her, but I wished I did more with her like brought her to a lot more places out in public, but she was a dog that really wasn't trained to be out in the public dwellings.

But I came home from being out of town last night, saw her pictures and I was OK! Still the house feels a bit empty! But as I said, I am OK and I know hse is free from pain and disease!

I know that when the time is right for me to get another dog I will get a puppy that way hopefully they will outlive me right? I haven't thought on a breed if I am going to get a full breed or just an every day mixed puppy! I know her/him when the time is right and I find it.

I had 3 strange dreams last night about Sasha all threw the night.

The first dream I was at a table and I looked at Sasha on the floor not wanting to get up like she did, and then someone came to the door and she jumped up started barking and as soon as I opened the door she took off and saw a man who freaked out thinking she was going to attack him. She came walking back to me.

The second one was I was walking out in a field in the country with knee high wild flowers growing about and the field was slightly rolling with gradual hills where the ground wasn't quite level. There across the field about 30 feet from me Sasha saw me and started running towards me and away from me when like when I used to chase her in the yard and I started running with her and she was running in circles and I saw she was happy! That one woke me up!!

The third one I don't quite remember but breifly was short and it seemed like I was somewhere else but it was full of white light and she came up to me wagging her tail!

That one got me woke up completely out of bed!! Talk about strange!

Last edited:

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your dreams sound beautiful and like there is something to them. Cherish them. I'm glad your ok, it's not easy . The hardest part is when the time comes when you have to make the decision , the next couple days, then tbe absence . Then you accept it. Not looking forward to it, but I have had a long time to prepare myself for it. I just hope it happens With the least Amount of pain For Rebel as possible ..

OP
OP
TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is true Jimmi, Sometimes I have had some strange dreams. Sometimes I try and do read into them! One time I dreamed I won the lottery and I could plainly see the ticket numbers on the ticket, I briefly woke up in the middle of the night, but I was too tired to write down all the numbers but 2 of the numbers in my dream I wouldn't figure out what it was. Next day when I woke up, bought a lottery ticket, remembered the other numbers, so I thought. Turns out I only got 3 of them right and the 4th number I was off by one! Talk about kicking myself in the behind for not getting up and writting them down!

One time I dreamed I had a motorcycle accident and died and two days later it was my little brother who had the accident and he was in critical condition but pulled through! Everything in the dream I had was everything that happened to my brother, the car cutting out in front of him, the color, the time of night, everything! And this was a time I hadn't talked to anyone in my family for 5 years due to bad blood!

I think the dream was pretty much telling me that she is having fun and is at peace and will see me again!!!

I made sure that I took time off from work to lay on the floor with her all day and night, with the exception of me carrying her outside to go pee and holding her up, (until her hind legs and paws were in between my feet so they would slide apart and her on the floor), to drink her water.

I petted her and talked to her and said all good things to her and made her comfortable, but I kept praying she would go in her sleep at least if she did I knew it was really her time to go.

I know some people may read my postings and think I am way too sensitve or nuts or going overboard with it. Fact is I have done things I had to do, seen things I wished I never did, lost best friends, and associate friends, but I was saddened and wept when they passed and it was their time to go. But animals are innocent and bring fulfillment to peoples lives and it makes that hard at times. Some people think differently of aniamls and just that and never think otherwise.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread