What's new

Revolutionary war encampment

zags08

Jr. Member
Joined
May 31, 2009
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I was hunting in a revolutionary war encampment in central NJ. I found these two items and I cant tell if it is just junk or an actual relic. any help IDing would be great. I have yet t0 clean these items.
 

Attachments

  • 010.webp
    010.webp
    2.3 KB · Views: 465
  • 013.webp
    013.webp
    3.5 KB · Views: 440
Ooooh buddie. Welcome to the frustrating world of trying to find RW sites. Those will be most difficult to determine that! Keep searching there until you find something with A name,buttons, lead,pottery, And don't forget to look near that water source...then you will know for sure. It's hard work but, when you pinpoint the exact location, there is not much more gratifying...good luck!
 
Upvote 0
First picture looks like a knife to me , what is the length and width is it flat or round ?

Need some measurements on the second item length and width ..
 
Upvote 0
Both antiques, but I'm not too sure they needed bottle openers in the 1700s. I'm thinking a little newer... maybe mid-late 1800s.

The beer bottle top opener would most certainly have a name or product advertisement on it... lets us know what you see if you are able to clean it.
 
Upvote 0
thank you! there is a stream that cuts right through the center of the encampment.. where do you suggest i start looking around there? I also found a can openear in the same area.

The Knife is 6 1/2 inches

The opener is 3 incehse
 
Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
Both antiques, but I'm not too sure they needed bottle openers in the 1700s. I'm thinking a little newer... maybe mid 1800s.
The beer bottle top opener would most certainly have a name or product advertisement on it... lets us know what you see if you are able to clean it.

The opener was made for prying off a crown bottle cap, and that type of cap was invented around 1890. As Jim points out, such openers were typically advertising freebies.
 
Upvote 0
They didn't start making crown top bottles until the 1890's and I think your opener is probally 1920's or later. I think the butter knife is about the same time frame. Good luck hunting and I hope you find a Rev. war relic soon.

Wolverine.
 
Upvote 0
Water is life my friend. look all around it. I seem to have real good luck in fields where there is a slight hill near water. The sites I search have no existence of any foundations. I just search and hope for the best! And dig all tones, no matter what. Buttons on my screen come up as trash I rarely look at the numbers of conductivity. Good luck and have fun....I'm just currious how do you know it was an encampment or muster ground???
 
Upvote 0
I have a bottle opener just like it and its no more than 50 years old. If I find it, Ill take a pic. The flat part has writing.
 
Upvote 0
I did some research at the local historical society and also there are signs all over the town regarding the encampment.
 
Upvote 0
thanks! i plan on going back to the area in a few weeks. this time i am going to concentrate on the area in or around the stream itself.
 
Upvote 0
Higher ground NEAR the stream. Remember, walk up to the site and ask yourself "where would be a good spot to camp if I had to" And try that...works for me. Look for broken pottery. stuff like that. and dig it all...cheers, mike
 
Upvote 0
thanks mike! should i also look near the stream bed at all? there are also hiking and biking trails all through out the entire area not sure if that plays a role in anything. thanks again
 
Upvote 0
I found this one from the Genesee Brewing co at a race track that was open for only a few years in the 1950s.
 

Attachments

  • detect 036.webp
    detect 036.webp
    31.6 KB · Views: 427
Upvote 0
Heres a Budweiser on eBay.
 

Attachments

  • bottle opener budweiser.webp
    bottle opener budweiser.webp
    7 KB · Views: 404
Upvote 0
Hmmmmmmmn, I used that type of bottle opener for years! :icon_scratch:

I agree, both the knife and bottle opener are 20th century, perhaps the knife a tad older.

Don
 

Attachments

  • 1950s Bottle Opener.webp
    1950s Bottle Opener.webp
    22.9 KB · Views: 336
Upvote 0
Hey Zags , Let us know if there are words on it .
Here's a few I have .
 

Attachments

  • Picture 131.webp
    Picture 131.webp
    84.3 KB · Views: 301
Upvote 0
mojjax said:
Hey Zags , Let us know if there are words on it .
Here's a few I have .
You know the top 2 are paint can openers.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom