🥇 BANNER Revolutionary War USA Relic? No Idea, but I Know It's Old!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep in the woods today near the spot where I found a Rev War era stirrup. Got a low 70's signal 6 inches down and thought I had dug a flat button. Wiped it off and noticed that one side had grooves on it instead of a shank. Then I turned it over and saw a USA logo on it! Looks similar to the Rev War button logo, but not quite the same. It's 1" in diameter and appears to be brass.

Did some research online, but I drew a blank. No idea what this is or how old. Hoping it's Rev War, but it could be later than that. What the heck did I find?

DSC08342.JPG DSC08340.JPG DSC08345.JPG DSC08347.JPG

Upvote 115
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I saw the bars on the back of it my jaw hit the floor! Incredibly cool find, congratulations!

Steve

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It weighs 4.62 grams, which is quite a bit less than the 5.44 grams an undug example would weigh. But it is also very thin, probably as thin as a dime.
I really hope its the real deal.

But sadly I'm going to be the only one to say, take it slow & take it to an expert. I'm a little worried about the bar side, they don't line up the same as the sold examples. There maybe a reason because I'm not familiar with this coin.

FINGERS CROSSED!!!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my take on it. It's either from 1785 or 1860. No doubt about it. Every coin I've found at this spot (over 100 acres) has been from 1893 or older, with the oldest coin being from 1816. So now we're down to two coins, real or 1860 counterfeit. But they only made 65 of the counterfeit and probably 5,000 or more of the real one. So the odds seem much greater that it's the real deal and not a counterfeit that someone bought in 1860 and lost deep in the woods a few years later. Why would someone be walking around in the woods with this coin in the 1860's or later anyway? Doesn't make sense to me. Just my take on it.

Unfortunately, it's flaking on the edges every time I pick it up, so I'm not going to ship it anywhere to authenticate it. And I'm afraid to hand it over to a coin guy and let him paw it until all the detail falls off of this rare coin. I'm 100% sure it's from 1785, based on my other finds at this spot. A 1700's era stirrup, 1700's shoe buckle frame, 1700's knee buckle and half a dozen 1700's flat buttons.

Just my luck to find a rare coin and some idiot counterfeited it 75 years later! LOL!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super exciting find. I'll be following this post to see what else you find out. Great piece of history. Congrats!!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one fine dig there

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a sweet find. I don't know much about coins and didn't even know this type to exist. I know your specimen is not in the greatest shape but if you go back to what PepperJ posted on the second page, look half way down the verbiage and it tells you how to authenticate your coin. It talks about a thorn like projection on the lower part of the second bar. Hopefully it does indeed turn out to be the real deal. :icon_thumleft:

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, wow that is a great find:icon_thumleft:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my take on it. It's either from 1785 or 1860. No doubt about it. Every coin I've found at this spot (over 100 acres) has been from 1893 or older, with the oldest coin being from 1816. So now we're down to two coins, real or 1860 counterfeit. But they only made 65 of the counterfeit and probably 5,000 or more of the real one. So the odds seem much greater that it's the real deal and not a counterfeit that someone bought in 1860 and lost deep in the woods a few years later. Why would someone be walking around in the woods with this coin in the 1860's or later anyway? Doesn't make sense to me. Just my take on it.

Unfortunately, it's flaking on the edges every time I pick it up, so I'm not going to ship it anywhere to authenticate it. And I'm afraid to hand it over to a coin guy and let him paw it until all the detail falls off of this rare coin. I'm 100% sure it's from 1785, based on my other finds at this spot. A 1700's era stirrup, 1700's shoe buckle frame, 1700's knee buckle and half a dozen 1700's flat buttons.

Just my luck to find a rare coin and some idiot counterfeited it 75 years later! LOL!
Same question back at you. Why was someone in 1785 wandering the woods...lol Never make the mistake of trying to make sense of why things turn up where they do, only worry about what they are.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
​Excellent find! I think I would have to have it authenticated and slabbed. Then lock it in a safe. I figure it is worth a $1000 even with environmental damage. Just my opinion. I vote banner.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an outstanding find :thumbsup: That baby should be on the Banner in no time. Keep us posted of any further developments regarding this coin.

stealthycat

Feb 17, 2012
Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pros
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a question - in a case like this, what can a guy do to STOP the flaking he's talking about ? Anything at all that can be done to not damage such a coin ?

I mean I'm in Arkansas, no chance I'd ever find something like that but for all you who have the knowledge what can be done when rare coins/buttons like this are found to stop decaying after being dug ?

I didn't even know what a bar cent was until today

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one is so rare potentially that you should consider biting the bullet and getting it authenticated. Maybe hit it with Museum Wax in the meantime.

Is the Bar Cent rarer than the Chain Cent that the Hoobah Boy found?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions