What's new

Royal Artillery Cross Belt Plate!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
9,863
Reaction score
7,127
Golden Thread
3
Location
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day! Never in my life did I think I would ever dig one of these. I always wanted to find a belt plate but never thought I would find a marked belt plate! It is an officer's Royal Artillery cross belt plate from 1790-1810 era. It is bent but the detail is amazing. The picture does not do it justice. There are the three cannons of the Royal Artillery within a shield in the centre. At the top it is marked "Second Batt" with a flaming cannon ball between the wording. On the bottom it is marked "Royal Artillery". There is even some gilt left on the edge design!

This was found on a site that we just got permission for today. We knew right away that we were on a site from the iron, glass and pottery. I managed a couple toe taps and a Speed the Plough token and Iron Patch found a few interesting things when I got a great signal...nice and shallow. I flipped the soil and there it was. I called Iron Patch and told him that I just found a belt plate! I actually did not know that it was at that time but knew that the shape was correct. I handed it to Iron Patch and he immediately saw the cannons in the center and proclaimed it a Royal Artillery belt plate!

I was thrilled to say the least! I am told by an expert in the field that it is quite a rare find. This is by far my favorite find to date...one I will never part with. I am going to try to research the site and try to determine who may have lost it...should be fun.

It is very difficult to photograph this thing due to the patina and the bend.
 

Attachments

  • plate.webp
    plate.webp
    113 KB · Views: 7,194
Upvote 0
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

That is nice, 1st one I have seen :o

Your year might turn out like mines going to :thumbsup: The best on record!!!
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

Yep Incredible Find, Cant Wait To See This Bad Boy Up Top!! :thumbsup:
HH!!
Swingit
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

Romeo, that is one awesome find you have there..... after all these years and the design is still great, you must have great soil on your side? If there are no clips etc on the back of this baby, you should be able to straighten this baby between to planks of wood quite safely. Just take it nice and slow and don't hit it with anything.

God bless
Peter
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE

Bump for a better picture...very hard to photograph...
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE

Ok, I'll bump the post but i might kick you. :D
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE

romeo-1 said:
Bump for a better picture...very hard to photograph...

Romeo, I think that photograph is as good as your are going to get it, hope to see it up top soon. :thumbsup: There are ways of straightening that plate, you might ask around if you have already not done so.

Don
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE

Don in SJ said:
romeo-1 said:
Bump for a better picture...very hard to photograph...

Romeo, I think that photograph is as good as your are going to get it, hope to see it up top soon. :thumbsup: There are ways of straightening that plate, you might ask around if you have already not done so.

Don

I would love to have it straightened but I am just too paranoid that it will be broken...maybe after the initial high of finding it wears off I'll look into it. What I would really like is to clean it without affecting the patina...
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

and the crowd ROARS, wtg that is outstanding to say the least.
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

Romeo,
AMAZING buckle find! :icon_king: Never saw one of those before. Congrats to you.
BANNER!!!
-MM-
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

sweeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!! :o
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

Romeo....That is one of the most amazing relics I have ever seen. I would have fell down dead . Congratulations man. :thumbsup:
Chris
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

Zeus, yesterday I found Spanish and French colonial silver and I can't even get excited about those two due to the belt plate...it's ruined me. LOL.
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

absolutely beautiful!! many congratulations!!
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

absolutely super great find keep it up keith
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE

Congrats on finding the Holy Grail of metal detecting!

N
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

Wow awesome find romeo truly incredible congrats and continued good luck
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

A special find, congrats. :)
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

Fantastic Find congrats!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom