What's new

Royal Artillery Cross Belt Plate!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
9,863
Reaction score
7,127
Golden Thread
3
Location
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day! Never in my life did I think I would ever dig one of these. I always wanted to find a belt plate but never thought I would find a marked belt plate! It is an officer's Royal Artillery cross belt plate from 1790-1810 era. It is bent but the detail is amazing. The picture does not do it justice. There are the three cannons of the Royal Artillery within a shield in the centre. At the top it is marked "Second Batt" with a flaming cannon ball between the wording. On the bottom it is marked "Royal Artillery". There is even some gilt left on the edge design!

This was found on a site that we just got permission for today. We knew right away that we were on a site from the iron, glass and pottery. I managed a couple toe taps and a Speed the Plough token and Iron Patch found a few interesting things when I got a great signal...nice and shallow. I flipped the soil and there it was. I called Iron Patch and told him that I just found a belt plate! I actually did not know that it was at that time but knew that the shape was correct. I handed it to Iron Patch and he immediately saw the cannons in the center and proclaimed it a Royal Artillery belt plate!

I was thrilled to say the least! I am told by an expert in the field that it is quite a rare find. This is by far my favorite find to date...one I will never part with. I am going to try to research the site and try to determine who may have lost it...should be fun.

It is very difficult to photograph this thing due to the patina and the bend.
 

Attachments

  • plate.webp
    plate.webp
    113 KB · Views: 7,194
Upvote 0
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

CONGRATS. ONE OF A KIND. BANNER FOR SURE/
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

Way to go on the find! :thumbsup:

Banner all the way!

HH,

Dave
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

real cool find wtg. thats a banner
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

Fantastic Great Find!!
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

Whoa Nelly!! That got my attention. BANNER!! Congrats that's going to be hard to top.
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

Sweet indeed...... :director2: :wav: :wav: :sad5: :toothy4: :occasion16: :occasion5: :love1: :happy1: :sunny: :blob7: :sleepy2: :blob10: :headbang: :3some: :toothy2:
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

what a great find, banner for sure. dave
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

in a word SWEEEET!!! ;D
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

Wow killer find for sure!!
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

Awesome find :headbang: It gets my vote for Banner :thumbsup:

Especially interesting to me as my maternal Grand Father was a Colour Sergeant in the Royal Artillery in WWI

Mike
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

A better photo, and this should land in the banner. Killer find!


You should consider having it professionally straightened.




Best Wishes,



Buckles
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

Nice Find !
Can you get Better Pictures ?

& Leave off the Advertisememt :P
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

Wow!! Outstanding find!!! makes a Civil War buckle look so.... new!!! Great job!!!

MB
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

Congrats Blue.webp​
 

Attachments

  • Congrats Blue.webp
    Congrats Blue.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 6,271
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

WooooooHooooooo!!!! Awesome..simply AWESOME!! :icon_salut:

Thanks for sharing!
~Hank 8)
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

hi romeo1,

you found a great relic there. go get more now. :thumbsup:

henry
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

BANNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My vote is in. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

:icon_king: Banner :icon_king:

That's a keeper :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom