100 KB · Views: 738
  • IMG_8121[1].jpg
    IMG_8121[1].jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 670
  • IMG_8450[1].jpg
    IMG_8450[1].jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 653
Welcome to Treasure Net !!

What were you told it was when you acquired or obtained it?
Did any paperwork come with it?
It's similar to a Spanish escudo.
When I first saw the "C" next to the shield, I thought it was the beginning of the word COPY.
Others here are experts in such things (and the real things); you'll get more responses on this shortly.

Upvote 0
The paperwork has been lost/misplaced somewhere along the way (it has been handed down through the family). We were told it was some sort of shipwreck/pirates treasure. Thought we might try to get it re-certified some how if that is possible...? Any ideas on what exactly it is?

Upvote 0
:hello:

When I was in Aruba last year I seen a lot of these for sale, and in silver, all were authentic and out of my spending bracket :'(...so can I have yours please :laughing9:

Looks good to me, but what would I know :-\

SS

Upvote 0
Lol well that is good news I guess! And Silver Searcher, you can have it for a price ;)

I forgot to add to the it has a gold 14k bezel on it with a chain (separate from the coin, not one mold). I think the coin weighed 6.5 or 6.9 (I forgot exactly) when the jeweler weighed it.

Upvote 0
Barbwiregirl said:
Lol well that is good news I guess! And Silver Searcher, you can have it for a price ;)

I forgot to add to the it has a gold 14k bezel on it with a chain (separate from the coin, not one mold). I think the coin weighed 6.5 or 6.9 (I forgot exactly) when the jeweler weighed it.
:icon_thumleft:

Great were shall I send the $10 :laughing9:

SS :wink:

Upvote 0
Barbwiregirl said:
How much do you honestly think it is worth??
There a lot of Guys on here more experienced on these coins than me, Iron Patch proberbly one of the best (as long as it's real) also the Shipwreck forum, they are a lot of Guys on there, and Bigcypress hunter knows quite a lot about shipwreck coins, they should guide you better, when you have a Gold Roman coin, you can ask me :wink: :icon_thumleft:

Thanks for showing it though :icon_thumleft:

SS

Upvote 0
Ok...I really don't know what that means...maybe in simpler/dumb terms?! Sorry, I am blonde too so that doesn't help any ;D

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Barbwiregirl said:
I need help identifying this coin. It has been tested as 22k or better gold (had a jeweler test it for us). Attached are pictures. It has a cross on the front and some kind of drawing maybe on the back. Wanting to find out what exactly it is and sell eventually. Thanks in advance for any help!

Wow thats a beaut! I thought it might be a gold cob but I dont know much yet.

Upvote 0
Just a little too good which in this case means bad. It is suppose to be a hammered coin, and on the real deal rarely will you see the cross perfectly centered and the rings around it at 100%. I'm sure there are some near perfect authentic ones, but there's one heck of a lot of fakes.

These get posted all the time and the story given usually supports them being fake, and they always are.

Upvote 0
I have some experience with silver cobs but gold is out of my league. I just dont have any experience with gold escudos.

Yes it looks like a Spanish shipwreck coin but I do not know if its authentic. I agree with the above post that the cob forum will be able to help. I hope its real.

I think the same rule applies to gold as it does to silver. No 2 are identical so if you find an exact match, beware.

If its authentic, it will be worth much more than weight.

Upvote 0
I will post it in that section and see what I get. How do I tell if it is real or not??

Thanks for all of your help.

Upvote 0
Barbwiregirl said:
I will post it in that section and see what I get. How do I tell if it is real or not??
The experienced members will have to look it over very carefully looking for anything that doesnt look right.

Another good way would be to weigh it without the bezel. Even though some coins are clipped, gold is much denser than any of the cheaper metals including lead.

As I said earlier, the last nail in the coffin would be to find an exact match because no 2 cobs are identical.. I started a database to help identify fakes, replicas and fantasy cobs but its too much work and Im turning all my pictures over to Stan (another member) who has a website. http://www.colonialcobs.com/forum/index.php

I havent read it yet but I took a peek into the cob forum. It appears someone may have found a replica match. :( Im going to read it now. If it turns out to be a replica, it is worth no more than jewelry melt.

Upvote 0
Im putting a link here for easy reference. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,411228.msg2927097.html#msg2927097
Realeswatcher did a great job of identifying this item as a replica jewelry piece. He says to beware of coins in a bezel where you cannot see the edges even though authentic cobs are often made into jewelry.

At least its solid gold. He suggests to sell on eBay as a gold known replica jewelry piece and try to get over melt.

Attachments

• spanish gold atocha replica.jpg
    spanish gold atocha replica.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 935
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back