Skipping Class = FIRST SILVER!!!!

diggergrl

Jul 29, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
Hey all! I decided to skip class Friday (weather was nice- and who knows how many more nice days are left!) and go detecting with the BuckleBoy and HB. The day started out a bit rough; it took us about 2 hours to get permission for a site, a school house deep in the woods. We were getting pretty cranky fighting all the brush and digging up lots of big iron, but BuckleBoy got an Indian Head penny and after about half an hour I got one too. HB found a jewlery piece, and I kept hunting around where I found my penny. Next thing I knew I got a great signal and dug a plug. Out popped a MORGAN DOLLAR!!!!! I couldn't believe it was real, but I was still shaking when I took it over to show the crew. We didn't find much after that, and moved to a new site where HB found his Indian Head. The finds were pretty thin at this second site, with only a tiny piece of harmonica reed, some bent-up brass, and a horse buckle recovered. I didn't care much, since I was still thinking about the MORGAN DOLLAR that I had just dug, but we ended up leaving after a few more hours. I still can't believe that I finally got my first silver! I guess I should skip class more often. :icon_sunny:

silver.jpg

in hand.jpg

silver1.jpg

Finds Before Cleaning1-1.jpg

Finds Cleaned1.jpg

Z1-1.jpg

Z3.jpg

Thanks for Looking!

DG

Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DG,

I was Damned Proud to be there and see the look on your face when you dug that coin. I am Still in a state of disbelief! I've gotten to see the coin dug, held it in my hand, and looked at your post at least ten times before replying--and I'm still in shock! After finding penny after penny at schoolhouses--all wheats and IH's--I Still cannot believe that was laying there in the ground.

You deserve it, lady! :thumbsup:

I also feel that this post is Banner-worthy--and I did nominate it. So many things are incredible about this find, I can't even hardly name 'em all: A schoolhouse find that is the finder's First Silver--and not just ANY silver, but a MORGAN Dollar--AND--the most beautiful coin I have ever seen come out of the ground!! :o

I have only dug one in almost 17 years--and it was Not in anywhere close to as nice condition. I'm very lucky to have dug one. Many have Never dug one. Many never will. You have almost as good odds of finding a cache of them as you have of finding a single silver dollar. When those coins were dropped, they were Very Valuable, and they were Searched For when lost. It was usually not that difficult of a matter to find a big shiny silver like that when dropped.

You know, when you folks and I first started this housesite journey, I thought that the only silver we might find would be a half dime or two. And now, a year later, I have a Seated Half and you have a Silver Dollar. It's incredible.

And all I can say...is that in this hobby of ours, just about anything can be found just about anywhere.

BIG Congratulations to you, DiggerGirl. I'm very proud to be able to hunt with you.

-Buckles

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DG :hello2: What a coin to find to be your first Silver!! Congratulations and may the memory of seeing that beautiful big hunk of silver be embedded forever as one of your best moments~. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thats an excellent find :thumbsup: big congrats to you :o

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man oh man I keep staring at this post lustfully. :D

Let me provide the commentary to the finds photo:

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,049

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
The Buzzard King said:
That sure is ONE SWEET COIN!
Congrats! :thumbsup:

Yes, ONE SWEET COIN there girl..YOU ROCK. I can say it would grade a 55 and bring an easy $105.00 if graded...WTG..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Attachments

• tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 1,036
  • tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 1,038
OP
OP
diggergrl

diggergrl

Jul 29, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
Wow, thanks everyone for your replies! :love5: Especial thanks to KFB, I know how hard it is for you to get away from work and family to hunt with us, and I wish that you had been there. Every time I hunt with you I learn a lot and I know you would have loved to see the funny look on my face when I found that coin. ;D

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you keep skipping class and digging up Morgans, I'm telling your teacher.

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An 1886 Morgan ?........WOW......................13+ years detecting ,and I have yet to find a silver Dollar.....Congrats/////Every thing else cleaned up nice too..........Is that an old Broche ?

cookiemonster351

Apr 11, 2008
Lima Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett

Wow I can't believe you found my silver dollar!!!! I lost it over there by that one thing close to the other thing! LOL Very nice find! Keep on diggin!!!
cookiemonster351

wildheart

Jan 1, 2009
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Woo-Hoo, Diggergrl!

This noob is proud of a sister digger and can only hope for such an awesome find. That is one righteous coin -- You GO!

:icon_queen:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Argentium said:
Diggergrl, Yeah Baby , That's what I'm talkin about !!! That Morgan is very nice ! I haven't
seen a nicer one dug and posted on this site . There are plenty of folks who've been detecting for
20 years and more, who have never dug a Morgan (or a peace for that matter) Because they are
a rare find , and it's your first silver , and the condition is so sweet , and your pics are so good
I vote BANNER ! Argentium.

And per Buckles........
I also feel that this post is Banner-worthy--and I did nominate it. So many things are incredible about this find, I can't even hardly name 'em all: A schoolhouse find that is the finder's First Silver--and not just ANY silver, but a MORGAN Dollar--AND--the most beautiful coin I have ever seen come out of the ground!!

I couldn't agree more!!! WAY TO GO DG!!!!!!!! That is truly a fantastic find of a lifetime in my book. :icon_queen: :thumbsup:
Beautiful Morgan. ***BANNER***
-MM-

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
DG,

Congrats on an absolutely excellent find. You did everything right, most importantly the recovery. Would have been a shame to see hairline scratches on that gorgeous coin from wiping off the dirt.

Excellent post and excellent pics. Savor this one!!

MP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread