Snakes..

Hi Guys,

How is this for a spider photo? This was taken at a reptile park about 5 Months ago.

Spider in tank.JPG

Dont you just love these furry creatures :icon_thumleft:

God bless
Peter

FURRY CRITTERS >>>> YES !!!! All FURRY CREATURES >>>>> NO!

There were a couple of guys in Sr. high had those as pets! :tongue3:

Excellent Spider pic 'Shudders'

I'm having no luck with snake pics guys/gals. Which is not a bad thing.. While hunting arrowheads I noticed a cotton mouth between my feet. It was about as fat as my finger & about 2ft long.
I wasn't too stressed but, couldn't get my camera quick enough.
I found out that the younger cotton mouths repeatedly release venom, while having hold of you. So that makes them far worse than the mature ones.
I was lucky. You don't always see them until you are far too close for comfort..
I'm still looking for more snake pics to post though.
Plenty coral snakes here too. But, I have been told to stay well away from those.
I guess i need to move onto a tamer critter..lol.

I'm still trying to get gator pics, I have some but not close enough..

Molly.

Can't wait to see some gator pics.... I have never been anywhere where gators can be seen in the wild.

sandcreek4 said:
Hey Molly--we got a couple shots of a black snake today. He was crawling out of the grass to get away from the fire of a controlled burn. He stuck his head up and looked :o at us! I'm not a snake person but this is a cool post!! Really enjoying all the pics!
kind regards~~sandcreek

Sandcreek

Considering he hunts his meals by heat it looks like he knows its a threat and heading to the cool water of the cattle trough. I imagine he drinks there at night. Way cool.

Mental Granny said:
Can't wait to see some gator pics.... I have never been anywhere where gators can be seen in the wild.

Mg, I saw a fantastic gator, sunning himself at the local dump. He was just resting with his mouth wide open. Yeah, you guessed it, I never had my camera, darn it.
I do have pics of them with eyes just above the river water but, I'll wait for a better shot for ya.
My friend told me that her father used to bring home baby gators, tape up their mouths & let her play with it for hours,in the bath tub, she was very young, so I guess she was facinated.. Great way to get close ups though..

Molly.

Welcome, back, Molly and hope all is well with you in Florida.

Thanks Molly can't wait for the pics ! Camera tied to your neck fresh nbatteries in your pocket always LOL! I don't have mine when I need it either.

I think it would be fun to play with one to IF its mouth were tapped shut and small enough I wouldn't have to worry bout the tail! LOL!

Monty said:
Ok, came back to this topic to tell a snake story. I was in N. Africa in the service in the mid 1960's. Libya to be exact, 80 miles inland in the desert on a U.S. bombing range. It was before Kadafi (that's how they spelled it then). King Idris and family were running the country then. We had two basic types of posionous snakes that were very plentiful to say the least. We had a small horned viper we called the sand viper for lack of a better name. Then there was the Asp, a larger horned viper that moved like a Sidewinder rattle snake. The Asp was the one that did in Cleopatra. The little snd viper just motivated like a common snake moving straight forward. The Asp was mostly out at night and every morning we could see where they had moved across the compound with their awkward side to side motion in the sand. In the daytime they crawled down into rat holes dug by kangaroo rats. The little sand viper was the sneaky one. He'd bury up in the sand with only his nose sticking out to breathe and you couldn't see him until you stepped on him. We wore special issue over the calf length boots that looked like those worn by lumberjacks but came further up the leg. No one was bitten while I was there but several of us had the snakes strike our boots and we stepped on several of those sneaky little sand vipers. I never saw a nonposionous snake the whole time I was there.
We also had an aggressive lizard out there in the sand. He was about 4' long and weighed about 20 lbs, long and skinny. No fangs but a mouth full of small sharp teeth. I don't know what kind of lizard it was but if you came upon one it would chase you and would bite your boots. We had a mongrel dog that hated those lizards and would kill them with one bite all the while avoiding their bite. She was a pretty big dog and it was neat to watch her fight a lizard and always win without a scratch. End of snake story from the Great Libyan Desert. Monty

I believe the big lizards you are referring to are called Dub-dubs. When I was in Kuwait they were all over the place. There were greenish colored ones and white ones. One was venonous and the other not, cant remember which one is. You would see them hanging out all over the acft shelters. The only thing out here I fear are the camel spiders....no venom..but they will gnaw on you and wont even feel it! Next thing you know you have a quarter sized hole on you.

Hi guys,

Hope and pray that you are all well? I have found a few pics of my ventures with crocs..... the first one was in a croc farm, but all the rest was wild..... the one I was standing approx a metre and a half away from it...... I came across it suddenly....... I nearly crapped myself.

Enjoy them....

Croc.jpg

Croc1.jpg

Croc3.jpg

God bless
Peter

That first one looks very well-fed, even his legs are chubby. Suddenly spotting snakes makes me do the spontaneous snake dance. I can't imagine what I would do if I suddenly spotted one of these guys.

naturegirl

[
Hey Molly--we got a couple shots of a black snake today. He was crawling out of the grass to get away from the fire of a controlled burn. He stuck his head up and looked :o at us! I'm not a snake person but this is a cool post!! Really enjoying all the pics!
kind regards~~sandcreek
[/quote]

Excellent pics. I too have seen snakes do this. I guess they pop up to see whats going on.. :D Nice to see you SC..

rwsnc said:
Welcome, back, Molly and hope all is well with you in Florida.

Thankyou my friend. It's not bad here in FLA but the humidity is effecting me a little. Not sure I will stay here long, maybe a year. It's good to be back & also to see you posting. Look forwards to seeing you in chat..

Molly. :icon_thumright:

I don't know what I would do if I walked up on one! But I do know that will never happen unless I get to go to a zoo and one escapes!

Mental Granny said:
I don't know what I would do if I walked up on one! But I do know that will never happen unless I get to go to a zoo and one escapes!

MG, I have seen them at the river. Scarey. Even walking along the edge, I am on the lookout for them. I have seen what they are capable of.. :-\

Talking about the Zoo, I'm going to the zoo, so should have some great pics for us to see.. ;D

Molly. :)

Can't wait to see pics the only places I've been lately is house ... store.... church... then home again. And not much of store haha!

My husband came home yesterday and said he caught a baby king snake at work. He gently stepped on it, and picked it up behind it's head and was carrying it over to show the guys. He noticed it's tail was split in two. Then he noticed it's mouth was open from the way he had hold of it, and it had fangs! King snakes don't have fangs. The goober picked up a baby rattlesnake bare-handed! Now this man has spent most of his life outdoors, even his father said he thought he taught him better than that. At least he brought it home to show me, those fangs were tiny, but I bet they could have pierced even his tough ol' hands. Bad part, the little guy was killed. I'm working hard, but haven't converted my husband to a snake lover yet.

naturegirl

Attachments

• baby rtl snk1.jpg
    baby rtl snk1.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 439
  • baby rtlsnk.jpg
    baby rtlsnk.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 427
  • baby rtlsnk2.jpg
    baby rtlsnk2.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 417
Cool pics, ng. I don't know about the king snake connection, but I do know that those pygmy rattlers are dead ringers for the Great Plains rat snake. I don't know to whose advantage that works out.

Wow rginn, the GP rat snake looks exactly like the Massasauga. The Prairie kingsnake looks very similar also. I don't know which one he's seeing, but he likes them and only kills the rattlesnakes that are around his wells and tank batteries, I'm sure I'll get to see which one it is soon because now he has some face-saving to do. He's also got a lot of Speckled kingsnakes on his lease. Those are really pretty.
ng

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back