So if I find a lot of gold coins circa cival war era (or gold buillion) ......

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, in my opinions, by your insults, with due respect, you have serious mental problems. I wish that you receive the proper treatment for all your illnesses. I never give fake SS numbers. I only purchased and sell my coins through coin auctions, and that include any treasures coins. If these auction houses need any information, including my SS numbers, then I will give it. I wrote many times, that it is illegal not to pay state and federal income taxes, on legal and illegal incomes. I obey all city, state and federal laws. Good hunting and good luck.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Samuel, I believe Tom's comment is tongue-in-cheek. :laughing9:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
But it never occurred to me that I could simply use another SS#. Hmmmm.

Not that I would ever condone such lowly tasteless behavior. But .... just sayin ' ..... :coffee2:

I know I'm a bad influence.

If anyone asks, I'm Juan Valdez from Columbia. :coins:

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well if you tell then you will miss out on one of lifes true pleasures. You see once gold has been interned, lost, forgotten and unseen it likes to remain so. That's why it's so difficult to find. But, once found, well then you'll discover it likes to be held quiet and if done so every night the gold fairy comes and leaves a little under your pillow for which you may do as you please. But if you tell, no fairies, no gold. Just you and your memories of what could have been. Always remember you have the right to shut up.

ThirtyDollars

Greenie
Jun 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if you tell then you will miss out on one of lifes true pleasures. You see once gold has been interned, lost, forgotten and unseen it likes to remain so. That's why it's so difficult to find. But, once found, well then you'll discover it likes to be held quiet and if done so every night the gold fairy comes and leaves a little under your pillow for which you may do as you please. But if you tell, no fairies, no gold. Just you and your memories of what could have been. Always remember you have the right to shut up.

This ^^^

If you try to cash in and spend $200k in gold, everyone will notice.

But if you let the golden goose live and just take one egg at a time, nobody notices.

I'd never tell if I found a box of gold (except maybe on my death bed).

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
What if one calls you deplorable??

And, yes, Tom .......we know you are very sick..... LOL

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey, I told you guys, I was tongue-in-cheek clowning around. Samuel, your inputs all over forum pages are spot on. Heck, that's how you got the name "Honest"... in honest-samuel after all, eh ? :notworthy:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My middle name is Samuel and I am honest. Both set of grandparents came from the great country of Ireland. I won't tell you what my first name is.

Ben Smith

Aug 16, 2008
Warrensburg,Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, if one finds a 1861 $20 “double eagle” with a “O” mint mark posting your find would be a “Witch hunt”? Lol
I believe the rarity of that one coin has a value of $440k, and what if there were “600” identical $20 pieces? Lawyer up and change your name , go into witness protection .....
b9c9960d-0e90-4e1b-af7c-9abd7d3bda7d
8b9720d3-7285-47db-aa9c-7aafd9d25544
93e4956b-04a6-440c-aff9-13d787f83538

( and no, I haven’t found anything, period- but wouldn’t that be Sweet!!!!!!!!)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well for starters --if it can be linked to the confederate govt * it now us govt property officially any and all confederate govt owned money or goods was forfeited to the us govt as part of the south's surrender to help repay the debt created by the us govt to fight the war -- same for a robbed army payrolls as well

two any other source of it.... if not confederate govt --say like bank robbery --would have either bank or if insured against loss a insurance company claim against it

bottom line --the money had to come from "somewhere" and that somewhere is going to want it back --and the government is also greedy and will attempt to totally screw you out of it if they can and well tax the hell out of you if they can't take it all away --and of course the IRS will take as much as they can

bottom line you found it ---n ow how much are you willing to throw away by being a blabbermouth ? can't keep your mouth shut , gotta brag? think of what it will cost you first

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
there are no 1861 O $20 gold pieces --now the south did make 1861 O 50 cent halves

gold coins from the civil war era (1860 /1865) if American would be union made --the south did have and use pre war us gold as well as Mexican money and british money

the state of louisana took over the new orleans mint (o) mint mark in jan 1861and used the presses and existing silver to make silver half dollars these were the only officially made confederate gov coins of silver metal

Last edited:

Ben Smith

Aug 16, 2008
Warrensburg,Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Civil War Cache’s

Thanks for the replies guy’s, I guess if the situation ever arises (doubtful, but you can always dream, right?) I know there are many area’s rich with Civil War history, Jesse James and Quantrill's Raiders. Many other treasure legends in or around my area, so who knows?

I believe, if I ever found even the smallest of caches, Over the course of my lifetime, I have learned one very profound statement, that I learned in the Navy-
“Never Volunteer anything” yeah, it would be a huge Moral dilemma. As you both
Made abundantly clear, the U.S.Government is full of liars and cheats that would just assume lock you up and strip you of everything you own, just to line their own pockets.

heard many heartbreaking stories thus far, right here and in the news. My wife works for
a Lawyer, and you can bet if I ever did find anything, I’d be seeking counsel asap.

on a more positive note, I just secured permission to search the property from the Lonejack School district (who owns the land adjacent to the battle site) there in Lonejack,Mo.
so, guess We will see what comes up (from the ground) :icon_scratch:after I search the area.
Love to find a cannon ball or some silver coins, but you never know. I figure with all those
soldiers in thar encampment, there will be a few items there, after all, the town was all but destroyed in the fight.
I’ll take some pictures of the area and what ever finds I get.
have a great day!
Ben Smith

Last edited:

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on a more positive note, I just secured permission to search the property from the Lonejack School district (who owns the land adjacent to the battle site) there in Lonejack,Mo.

Good luck in Lone Jack. I have seen some neat stuff come out of the area near the battlefield. Let me know if you ever find that horde of gold rumored to be hidden south of Warrensburg! I have looked for years with no luck :occasion14:

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
responding to a 4 year old thread......damn

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First 20 seconds explains the rules

Last edited:

Ben Smith

Aug 16, 2008
Warrensburg,Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve read about the gold “5 miles south of Warrensburg” I guess you would have to ask yourself, how many times the land owners of the parcels of land in that area have been asked to “Search” their property for that Cache? I will most likely be headed in that direction at some point or another.
my first search will be in Lonejack, I’m hoping I come away with a few nice items.
have a good one!
Ben Smith

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread