Some of my Municipal dump finds.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fellow purchased an old building in Rossburn Manitoba, all he was after was the lot. When the wrecking crew was dismantling the building which at one time was used as a photo studio.

Stuffed in between the walls some 2500 glass negatives were discovered, this type of medium used to make a photographic print is by contact, the glass with the image is placed over a photo sensitized paper ( dark room or under cover ) if the image were exposed in the darkroom an artificial UV light source such as that produced from a carbon arc lamp, an outdoors exposure by sunlight.

Both the image captured on glass and the paper which will receive the print are both enclosed in a light tight box, on a very bright sunny day the box would be opened for a few seconds, on a cloudy day it might take as long as several minutes to make the exposure.

The glass used to capture the image as seen through the view camera is actually a positive.

One long cold winter Pat and myself digitized these images, the pictures posted are first and last. The studio pictures are very boring with the same background setting. From the 2500 images there may have been 30 notable images.

View attachment 2007061
View attachment 2007062
View attachment 2007063
View attachment 2007064
Quite the collection.it,s amazing what people throw away.

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
When your out doing the flea markets and yard sales, learn to recognize how a photography print was made.

Before the war precious metals were used in a process called contact printing, after the war had begun these metals were called to duty - prohibited from civilian use.

Thus silver replaced platinum, the problem with an image printed using silver is that the metal ions are never truly fixed - inert. Over time exposure to UV light degrades to image over exposing it.

While a platinum print regardless of direct UV exposure will not degrade in fact the Library of congress claims images produced in this manner have a 200 year archival rating.

Alternative photography prints are collectable some of which command very high prices.

Bellow Platinum print.

Platinum just happens to be my favorite, but there are other process sought after.

The neat thing about old fashion contact printing its been brought into the digital age. With a wide format printer you can now print a negative on clear plastic any size you want.

Your no longer restricted too the capability of your camera's negative size.

Anyhow you never know what you'll find, bottom image is an excample of winning a lottery.

Platinum / Palladium. Wikipedia.
Carbon Print aka Soot. Wikipedia.
Daguerreotype - fumed mercury over copper Wikipedia.

Screenshot from 2022-02-01 01-53-56.png

Screenshot from 2022-02-01 02-19-59.png

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A magic eye tube or tuning indicator, in technical literature called an electron-ray indicator tube, is a vacuum tube which gives a visual indication of the amplitude of an electronic signal, such as an audio output, radio-frequency signal strength, or other functions

View attachment 2007016
View attachment 2007017
ALLOY_It your NOT GOING to GET AWAY with this !!!!! NOW we would first like to know how you got all those pennys ? Then you can explain the other items. I would also like to THANK you for posting , Taking the pictures , We sure would like to read how you got all this :)

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
ALLOY_It your NOT GOING to GET AWAY with this !!!!! NOW we would first like to know how you got all those pennys ? Then you can explain the other items. I would also like to THANK you for posting , Taking the pictures , We sure would like to read how you got all this :)
One thing I've learned living on the prairie, what your using as a landmark today may not be there tomorrow.

Often I bring stuff home thinking I'll use parts of it for a project however when i tire of moving stuff around I'll often gift to neighbors and what has no takers I'll take a load of trash to our local landfill.

Canada discontinued the use of the penny several years ago, most banks will not accept them. I did however find one in Brandon that had a coin counting machine.

It was on a trash day, the two pails of penny's were just sitting as shown on an old dishwasher. The shinny copper caught my eye.

When the weather is good often Pat and I will take a lunch and make a day of visiting the various landfill sites, Sandy Lake, Erickson, Onanole, McCreary then Kellwood.

The custodian at the Strathclare has a tricky personality, very difficult to read so I mostly go after hours to avoid confrontation.

When ever I'm in Neepawa I'll stop in at the scrap yard where the owner gives me picking rights. Small bits and pieces like an old magneto or perhaps on old Briggs or Clinton engine.

From my last scrap yard visit there were several large roof top air conditioners. Sawzall cuts the soldered joints off in minutes.

The copper elbows at the end of the condenser and evaporator coils are silver soldered, not pure silver but an alloy - might have something to do with my forum Nic.

The elbows placed into an old flower pot with a positive lead from a DC power supply, negative to the stainless steel cathode sheet , could use a copper sheet.

As the copper is plated onto the cathode a thick layer forms which is easily peeled off as a sheet, if to much power applied makes for a spongy cooper.

The copper plates over leaving the silver behind as cell slime's which will be further refined into pure silver.

Top image, burning off the oil and any organic material.

silver ends2.jpg

silver ends1.png

hot silver.png

s1.jpg

s3.jpg

cell1.png

cell2.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
When your out treasure hunting.

In the spring I'll be keeping an eye open for asparagus flags these rouge plants get their start in life from bird droppings.

Bookmark the flags on your GPS, then keep your lips sealed as some inexperienced fool will come along and try to dig up the root and nine time out of ten he'll ruin the plant.

I just pick the young shoots and the red berrys which I spread around the borders of or small acreage. The seeds require freezing over winter in order to germinate.

Also I had purchased 10 cc syringes of mushroom mycelium which I propagated on wheat. This I have spread in the forest near our home.

Mushrooms are mother natures janitors.

Screenshot from 2022-02-01 20-50-52.png

Last edited:

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your intelligence there Brother, I just dragged a pepsi 5 position machine home , going to make Kombucha dispenser out of it and I do a Ginger juice that people cannot get enough of the best Ginger ale known to man, my recipe. Got 4 corby kegs and fittings to go with it.

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
I like your intelligence there Brother, I just dragged a pepsi 5 position machine home , going to make Kombucha dispenser out of it and I do a Ginger juice that people cannot get enough of the best Ginger ale known to man, my recipe. Got 4 corby kegs and fittings to go with it.
My other half is a fan of Ginger sometimes she'll buy the Canada dry ginger ale. Never thought of home made, have to give it a try.

Thanks for the inspiring idea.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that is something to make note of and I'm glade you brought it up.

Did you by change watch the documentary the Radio Active Boy Scout.

I know the story and for a time I collected radioactive antiques just like he did, albeit I never tried to build a nuclear reactor in my garden shed. My most radioactive antique is a Cold War era DME aircraft gauge from a fighter jet which was used for aiding in landing on aircraft carriers. I found it in the trash with my Radeye Radiation detector because it was so radioactive that it lead me to it.

I carry around the radiation detector sometimes just to find random radiation in places.

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When your out treasure hunting.

In the spring I'll be keeping an eye open for asparagus flags these rouge plants get their start in life from bird droppings.

Bookmark the flags on your GPS, then keep your lips sealed as some inexperienced fool will come along and try to dig up the root and nine time out of ten he'll ruin the plant.

I just pick the young shoots and the red berrys which I spread around the borders of or small acreage. The seeds require freezing over winter in order to germinate.

Also I had purchased 10 cc syringes of mushroom mycelium which I propagated on wheat. This I have spread in the forest near our home.

Mushrooms are mother natures janitors.

View attachment 2007360
Excellent and I am a bit of a Mycologist and Love Morels , Chanterelles, well you know... Oh the Truffles in America and North America are causing quite a stir, TREASURES in their own right.

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
A few years back, Pat started collecting ornamental castings from old wood stoves and heaters.

When we had decided to move back to British Colombia the collection was discarded. BC is our home we both miss the place but property values have sky rocketed.

We have resigned ourselves to to the fact were going spend the rest of our lives in Manitoba and make the best of what it has to offer.

We're both looking forward to looking for buried treasure, hopefully some older coins.

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
I know the story and for a time I collected radioactive antiques just like he did, albeit I never tried to build a nuclear reactor in my garden shed. My most radioactive antique is a Cold War era DME aircraft gauge from a fighter jet which was used for aiding in landing on aircraft carriers. I found it in the trash with my Radeye Radiation detector because it was so radioactive that it lead me to it.

I carry around the radiation detector sometimes just to find random radiation in places.
Uranium hunters search at night with a black light and people doing yard sales use it to detect uranium glass.

I'm sure your aware of this but for the benefit of others I'll post this short video.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I've learned living on the prairie, what your using as a landmark today may not be there tomorrow.

Often I bring stuff home thinking I'll use parts of it for a project however when i tire of moving stuff around I'll often gift to neighbors and what has no takers I'll take a load of trash to our local landfill.

Canada discontinued the use of the penny several years ago, most banks will not accept them. I did however find one in Brandon that had a coin counting machine.

It was on a trash day, the two pails of penny's were just sitting as shown on an old dishwasher. The shinny copper caught my eye.

When the weather is good often Pat and I will take a lunch and make a day of visiting the various landfill sites, Sandy Lake, Erickson, Onanole, McCreary then Kellwood.

The custodian at the Strathclare has a tricky personality, very difficult to read so I mostly go after hours to avoid confrontation.

When ever I'm in Neepawa I'll stop in at the scrap yard where the owner gives me picking rights. Small bits and pieces like an old magneto or perhaps on old Briggs or Clinton engine.

From my last scrap yard visit there were several large roof top air conditioners. Sawzall cuts the soldered joints off in minutes.

The copper elbows at the end of the condenser and evaporator coils are silver soldered, not pure silver but an alloy - might have something to do with my forum Nic.

The elbows placed into an old flower pot with a positive lead from a DC power supply, negative to the stainless steel cathode sheet , could use a copper sheet.

As the copper is plated onto the cathode a thick layer forms which is easily peeled off as a sheet, if to much power applied makes for a spongy cooper.

The copper plates over leaving the silver behind as cell slime's which will be further refined into pure silver.

Top image, burning off the oil and any organic material.

View attachment 2007340
View attachment 2007341
View attachment 2007342
View attachment 2007343
View attachment 2007344

FANTASTIC STORY !!1 Thank you so VERY VERY much for taking time to share and POST !!!

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
FANTASTIC STORY !!1 Thank you so VERY VERY much for taking time to share and POST !!!
When I was about 10 years old a neighbor kept thoroughbred race horse's, me and my friend decided we wanted to ride one.

Problem was you couldn't get close enough to hop on, decided to put some oats in the manger, as the horse was eating we dropped from the rafter onto the back of the horse.

Bruce was on the front me behind him, well that dam horse bolted from the barn then ran all out across the pasture.

Stopped dead in its tracks, head down. Bruce falls off then when the horse takes off again I fall onto the ground as well.

Bruce had a beautiful hoof print on his wrist, you broken arm, out friendship deteriorated after that incident.

As an adult I've learned more about horse's, my dapple appaloosa was an older horse trained for cutting cattle.

Sounds impressive but the real handicap is not knowing the commands and something as innocuous as Go, will set your horse on fire.

For an inexperienced rider such as myself these unexpected interactions between animal and man can make a believer out of ya.

Fortunately I no longer have any horse's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread