North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spanish Silver 8 reale *** UPDATE*** A 1700's COUNTERFEIT !!! @@

I'm hoping like heck this is what I think it is. I'm hoping this is a piece of Spanish silver. If so, it's by far my best coin ever! Can someone tell me what it is? Age? Is it real?
I can make out the following:
"SPAN ET IN?" on one side,
and "Carolus" on the other side.
If it were all in one piece it would be about the size of a half dollar maybe.
The edge has strange symbols on it too.
I was hunting around in the field next to the old 1830 house in the Morrisville battlefield area today.
I will post my other finds tomorrow. I am a bit excited right now, so I wanted to get this piece posted first. I almost didn't even bother digging this up. Just before this I had dug up a piece of wire, and filled in the hole. Not even a foot away I got another signal. I thought it would be another piece of wire, so I wasn't going to dig it. Now I am VERY glad I did.
Please tell me this is the real thing. :o
The Mighty Tesoro may have done me proud again. ;D
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 2,911
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 2,853
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 2,862
  • MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 2,870
  • MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 2,850
  • MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 2,835
  • MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 2,828
  • MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-011S.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 2,810
  • MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,806
  • MVC-013S.JPG
    MVC-013S.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 2,877
Upvote 0
Re: MY BEST FIND EVER!!! *Spanish Silver* 8 Reale !!! Carolus

very awesome find ModernMiner a big congrats on such a beautiful Reale ;)

WOW! Double congrats!

That's not only a great piece it's a great piece of history.

Wonderful find!

Badger

yep! Dug one myself in Kentucky several years ago!

Looks like one-third of an 8 reale.

Re: MY BEST FIND EVER!!! *Spanish Silver* (I hope)

BuckleBoy said:
WAY TO GO!!!!!

MM,

You have come a long way! Congratulations on this as well as all your recent, fantastic recoveries. Your have literally TRANSFORMED yourself this year. I remember in early spring you were talking about your difficulty in finding anything earlier than the 1940's. You deserve a BIG pat on the back! Now, you're bringing home GREAT old coins and relics EVERY time out. Bravo!

Be forewarned! This is the point at which it gets exhilarating--and addictive. ;) Once you start getting the good stuff, there is no turning back. It has been great to watch you grow as a detectorist this year. And we're all here to support you every step along the way in the future, too. Congratulations again!

Regards,

Buckleboy

BB,
Thanks so much. Not bad for a guy with a $200 detector, huh? ;D I love MDing the old properties. They have become my favorite type of MDing.
I was getting frustrated before because I wasn't finding any old silver. I was getting ready to buy a White's MXT or a Minelab, but my Tesoro seems to hold it's own. I dig a lot of iron, but it finds the good stuff too. That 1923 Merc I found in the woods a few weeks back was my oldest silver to date, until today's find.
Mirage said something to me that made sense (and saved me about $700 ;) ). He basically just said if I'm not finding the silver coins but am consistently finding deep 1800's buttons, then the silver may not be where I'm hunting. "Thanks Mirage".
I feel at home with my machine after so many hours of hunting with it.
I do feel I've come a long way this year, so "thank you".
-Doug-

Congrats on a great find! That'll get your blood pumping!

Banner anyone? congrats on that spectacular find. Been following your posts for quite a long time, I'd like to accompany you on one of your hunts sometime. I live close enough for it to be a small trip but an adventure.

Jeff

woodspiritcarver said:
Banner anyone? congrats on that spectacular find. Been following your posts for quite a long time, I'd like to accompany you on one of your hunts sometime. I live close enough for it to be a small trip but an adventure.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.
Anytime. I usually hunt on Saturdays. I have two big places to MD right now, so whenever you're up this way let me know.
Have a great holiday,
Doug

Hey man, that's great. It's so rewarding when you find something that really gets you pumped like that. I'd love to find a spanish silver someday. Congrats, and good luck with hitting the rest of that site! HH

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Doug,

I will trade you 2 Chuck E. Cheese tokens for it... ;D ;D ;D

Congratulations on the Spanish Silver...

Very Nice my friend...Way to go,

Nick

Nick,
How about 3 Chuck E's and one of your wife's famous dishes? ;)
Thanks Big Guy.
-Doug-

thats a real piece of history you dug with that one! congratulations on a fantastic recovery!

Re: MY BEST FIND EVER!!! *Spanish Silver* (I hope)

zoyboy said:
Yo, MM, that cut piece is on my wish list and "Bone Dry's." You definitely deserve it, man! You are now due for one of those coppa coins!

Bone Dry Detecting...zoyster a.k.a. KylePA :D

Thanks Kyle.
That means a lot. You guys are ALWAYS finding the old coins. I'm just glad to finally join the club. ;D
Now I'm REALLY hooked! ;)
-Doug-

WTG MM!!! :o ;D Absolutely Fantastic Find....Congrats!! :)

~Hank 8)

WOW that is an awesome find. It looks a little thin to be a 8 reale to me though...I was thinking 4 reale..... I would rather have a clipped coin like yours than a full coin. Yours has so much more history behind it. That is a wicked find......Congrats again!!!

That is a fantASTIC find MM. :o
If I took that picture it would be blurred from my hand shaking.
Congrats on a great hunt my friend.

Great Day in the morning!....that find...my tarheeled brother... is super fine. Now, you can give your doubting friends and relatives a history lesson about the first numismatics of our country. Great job!

Merf said:
That is a fantASTIC find MM. :o
If I took that picture it would be blurred from my hand shaking.
Congrats on a great hunt my friend.

Thanks Merf.
Believe me, it was shaking when I found it. I went straight to the car to get my camera with a BIG smile on my face. ;D I knew I had something, but wasn't sure exactly what.
-Doug-

Tinman said:
Great Day in the morning!....that find...my tarheeled brother... is super fine. Now, you can give your doubting friends and relatives a history lesson about the first numismatics of our country. Great job!

Thanks Tin.
I may wear this one around my neck as a pendant. ;)
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back