What's new

Stone Bowl Piece?

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a person in the rock forum put a ID on this type of stone being Talc Schist. This is the only piece I have found so far. It looks like a piece of a stone bowl but that is just a guess. What do you people think it might be? Its very smooth and has a curve to it.
Found it in the new field I am hunting in N Ga.
 

Attachments

  • 100_3407.webp
    100_3407.webp
    132.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 100_3406.webp
    100_3406.webp
    162.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_3403.webp
    100_3403.webp
    198 KB · Views: 116
  • 100_3402.webp
    100_3402.webp
    155.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 100_3400.webp
    100_3400.webp
    340.1 KB · Views: 263
  • 100_3399.webp
    100_3399.webp
    186.8 KB · Views: 168
Upvote 0
Well rock, it looks like a regular rock to me. Nothing says it's a portion of something else to me, but that's not to say it didn't have a purpose or function since you found it on a known site.
 
Looks like part of soapstone bowl to me. Talc Schist is a good call. These were used right up to about 2500 years ago. When clay pottery took over.
 
So far 1 yes and 1 no. I hope some other chime in cause this is the one and only piece I have ever found.
 
Looks like what I've seen at a local museum made of a similiar material, catalina schist. This area is known for their work with this material, while I've never found any, I have seen quite a bit of it on display. The shape of the rock as well as the way the surface is finished look the same. I have a client, who's husband was in charge of the local quarry, has a neat collection of some rather large fossils and an museum grade stone bowl(which she uses as a door stop). She'd probably allow me to photograph it, if that would be any help. Or I've seeing a contractor buddy this morning who has a eclectic collection or clay and stone bowls. If I see anything that he has anything similiar for comparison. I don't know if any of this is helpful or not. Let me know.John
 
Just seeing a rock myself.
 
Looks like a natural rock to me. The concave area doesn't appear to have had any grinding done on it just appears as natural pitted stone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
 
A positive "Yes". Shard from a Steatite cooking bowl.

Looks exactly like a bowl sherd to my eyes. I've found hundreds of such sherds. I've just never seen steatite with texture like that. When and if I'm able to post photos on Treasurenet again, I'll post some photos. Certainly based on the shape and curvature at least, it looks like a vessel sherd.

A closer look and I can see it's steatite, just somewhat grainier then southern New England steatite. rock, one of the best ID tips is if it feels soapy. That's how it gets it's more common name, soapstone, the surface will feel like a soft bar of soap.
 
Last edited:
I think you got it. It's a rock that's very smooth and has a curve to it.
 
Part of soapstone bowl. I find a good bit of pieces around here. I'm about 30 miles from the Paclet quarry in S.C. I think there is some quarrys in northern part of Georgia too. The book I have says that they are quarries in White, Dekalb, Fulton, Clayton and Habersham Counties. It said the largest quarry is in Dekalb County.
 
Last edited:
Thank you for the responses. It does feel smooth or slick. There is a ID going on June 1st for Indian artifacts. I will take it with some of my other IDKs and get them a ID. The person in charged is the same person that does peach state site for all of our local artifacts in Georgia. I will see what he says I hear he likes pottery and am planning on giving some of the shards I have found as a thank you. I will do a update on this when I find out. Thanks, rock
 
YES ,

Material ; steatite , talic schist , which catalina schist is a good example of .. Yes
Form ; possable bowl / fragment ... probable
Texture;fragment with eroded edge wear / probable reuse/ salvage as heating stone/ comal ... probable

Confirmation: 99.9% Artifact ,...Well Maybe?
Nice find ,. Blindpig
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom