Tony66 said:
texastee2007 said:
Monty said:
Arlington National Cemetery civil war dead are buried in Robert E. Lee's front yard. Monty
they buried the blacks in his wife's Rose garden so that Robert E. Lee and his wife would never return home again.
Please forgive me if this is an
--deleted-- question or remark but I don't understand whythey would bury blacks in the wifes Rose garden. My understanding is that Robert E Lee was not a supporter of slavery and that he had no slaves even before the Civil War started and that (I'm not positive about this part) his wife was either assisting escaped slaves or was teaching escaped slaves (both against the law). I also thought that Ulysses S Grant was made to give up his slaves at the end of the Civil War and that Mary Todd Lincoln was very pro slavery. With that said, I don't understand why blacks buried in the garden would cause Mr and Mrs not to return home. Can anyone please explain this to me. Again, I mean no disrespect to anyone, I just thought maybe I understood some things wrong.
I am not certain about slaves being buried in the rose garden, but Arlington, the Lee's home, was confiscated by the federal government at the end of the war and that is why they did not return home. One of his sons was eventually able to negotiate a settlement with the government for the loss of the property, but that was some time after Robert E. Lee died.
Contrary to belief, Lee did own many slaves who worked at Arlington. He was no abolitionist, nor was his wife. It has been documented that when a slave attempted escape, Lee himself did not hesitate to have the slave brutally whipped, nearly to the point of death. It was not an uncommon practice. The fear was that lenient treatment of escaping slaves would only serve to encourage others to do the same, especially at places like Arlington which are so close to the northern states. I know this not the image many want to have of Lee, but as with so much in our history, we tend to gloss over the unpleasant parts.
As to Grant owning slaves, I have heard he did but never had that confirmed. I doubt he did by the start of the war because at that point I understand Grant was pretty down and out financially and would have had to sell any slave he did own some time prior.
As for Lincoln, the "Great Emancipator", don't get me started.