What's new

?Strange Iron Ring?

Trescher

Full Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2006
Messages
114
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
San Antonio Texas
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, ACE 250
Today I found this strange iron ring; it is about 7 inches across and 1/8" thick. I couldn't find any markings on it. The location could date back to the late 1800s. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul
 

Attachments

  • th013010_1.webp
    th013010_1.webp
    47.4 KB · Views: 346
That reminds me of the steel plates in an ATC clutch assembly, but I dont know which one exactly.
 

Attachments

  • clutch ATC.webp
    clutch ATC.webp
    8.9 KB · Views: 284
Upvote 0
That was my first thought too BigCy :icon_thumleft:
But, the construction and number of projections doesn't look right - to my limited knowledge of clutch plates :icon_scratch:

Mike
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a large conduit washer - for a main head or construction type electrical connection.

B
 

Attachments

  • external washer.webp
    external washer.webp
    1.4 KB · Views: 271
Upvote 0
I think BigCy is correct. I looks like a clutch separator plate. Those come in many different sizes and tooth counts. Agree it does look like a conduit piece too. The stamping is fine blanked, as opposed to a conduit which is less precise. Only know this because I am a driveline engineer.
 
Upvote 0
mcmich said:
I think BigCy is correct. I looks like a clutch separator plate. Those come in many different sizes and tooth counts. Agree it does look like a conduit piece too. The stamping is fine blanked, as opposed to a conduit which is less precise. Only know this because I am a driveline engineer.
Is it possible to briefly explain the differences between stamping and fineblanking?
Im always interested in learning how metals are manufactured and it helps with identification.
 
Upvote 0
Here is a good explanation of fine blanking.

http://www.fineblanking.org/process/howitworks.htm


As described in the link, fine blanking provides a better sheared surface than a standard stamped part. A normal stamped part does not control the sheared surface due to tolerances on the punch die, press tonnage, etc.. This results in metal rollover on the punch side of the cut. The metal actually breaks instead of shears. The edge can end up rough. This is what they call die break. Fine blanking is more expensive than normal stamping and typically not as fast. Clutch plates are fine blanked because the surface finish on the sheared edge is important for the function of the clutch. These plates need to slide smoothly in the carriers when the clutch is applied.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom