Strange square metal item with black inlays?

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this deep on some land that had past hunting, farming, and mechanical past so it could be anything. It's about 3/4 by 3/4 by 3/8 and has a black dot on each long side. Not magnetic, rang up around brass or copper range on equinox. IMG_20201113_133232892.jpg
IMG_20201113_133239366.jpg
IMG_20201113_133244231.jpg

There are not threads in the center hole. Thanks for any guesses

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are the black dots actually inlaid or are they plugs that do all the way through to the circular hole? Thats interesting-

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a WAG, but maybe a bullet mold?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bologna321

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The black pieces do not go all the way to the center thanks!

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm guessing it's a spacer of some sort. Around the hole you can see the impression of a washer that was snugged down pretty tight.

Maybe the dots were used for alignment? :dontknow:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bologna321

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm guessing it's a spacer of some sort. Around the hole you can see the impression of a washer that was snugged down pretty tight.

Maybe the dots were used for alignment? :dontknow:

Very possible I see the indentations now. I wonder if it was part of some furniture or something.

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Just SWAG (Stupid Wild Arse Guess) here, could the dots be used to trip a light or sensor? Hear me out here, our Kirby vacuum cleaner has a metallic dot on the beater brush, when the brush is rotating the light illuminates, when it doesn't illuminate it typically means the belt is broke.

The hole on the OPs item is threaded, which means a threaded rod/axle can be attached. When the dot passes by/over a sensor, it shows it's working.

Or it could be a crude armature of sorts.

Like I said just SWAG, but something to think about........

Upvote 0

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
Just SWAG (Stupid Wild Arse Guess) here, could the dots be used to trip a light or sensor? Hear me out here, our Kirby vacuum cleaner has a metallic dot on the beater brush, when the brush is rotating the light illuminates, when it doesn't illuminate it typically means the belt is broke.

The hole on the OPs item is threaded, which means a threaded rod/axle can be attached. When the dot passes by/over a sensor, it shows it's working.

Or it could be a crude armature of sorts.

Like I said just SWAG, but something to think about........

That was my first thought. For a photosensor, like you said. Though without a set screw it would be a pain to set on a shaft.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread