Stunning 1749 Farthing, 18th Century Cufflinks, Shoe Buckle, Intricate Mystery Piece

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the site that I found last weekend. Started a bit slow as I spent about an hour moving dead trees and limbs. Things heated up quickly with a few coppers including a gorgeous 1749 farthing. No idea why these are so hard to find but they are. I've always wanted one nice one. This thing is incredible! I also found 4 more half penny's which makes 16 pre 1750 coins in two outings. Midway through the hunt I dug a beautifully detailed oval piece. I have no idea what it may be as I see no attachment points....but I love this thing. Then came a big bucket lister for me. I've always wanted to find a linked set of Cufflinks. Today that happened. I also dug another Cufflink with a rose design on it. After I got home I realized I had both of them. Not sure if this is considered a Tudor rose or not. I found a few shoe buckle frags and a few nice early buttons including two early pewters with the huge shanks.
I decided to hike out and try to locate David's cabin site today. I had no luck but I found a random shoe buckle frame which was a nice surprise. I also have found rear there were 2 other early cabins on this property. If they're half as productive as this one it's gonna be quite a year. These two hunts have been so fun. Thanks for looking and any info on the mystery piece and the links would be much appreciated
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Upvote 40
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible dude. I'm speechless on these coppers man. Just amazing. Those links are my favorite and also a big bucket list item for me too. Congratulations on getting a linked set AND for the rose links too. Hopefully someone has an idea on that cool oval piece too. I dug a few hundred lbs of iron before I got a shoulder deep flat iron... That'll look awesome after electrolysis. Awesome hunt Abe and can't wait to see what else you find there man.

Thanks buddy. I'm really hoping to locate more of these cabin sites. There's a few on this property. Tough to locate but virgin about 98% of the time. I'm psyched with my first links. The farthing is a dream find for me. They rarely show up

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding digs as usual Abe,

Was waiting to see a follow up post to last week. That second pair of cuffs sure looks like a tutor rose to me. Given the number of coppers and pewter flat buttons you've dug, you may have stumbled across an early British camp. Way to go buddy, hit it hard and report back.

Cheers,

Jon

Nice to have another experienced member thinking Tudor links. This has been the most productive site ever for me

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa Abe! Very nice finds again. Octagonal cuff links, what looks to be an oval brooch, Geo II farthings, nice early flat buttons all indicate you're on a very early site knocking on the 17th C door. Keep it coming my brother! I'm excited for you!

Maybe there's a Mass silver close by lol

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some nice early digs! But, i know you dig this age stuff frequently... Im sure it never gets 'old' digging that stuff!!!
Awesome bud! :thumbsup:

Yup these sites and finds will never get old to me. Colonial history always excites me

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic site!
Fantastic finds too!
Quality is just spilling out of the ground.....love it while it lasts!

The only negative with these sites is that they sadly end eventually. Hope to see you posting soon. Hope you and I have the best years ever....and our spandex wearing brother has a killer year....just not quite as good as us lol

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Farthing is about as good as you could ever expect to find for condition! Very nice, I agree on Tudor Rose style for the cufflinks and wow on the number of old coins you have found recently. Don

I never dreamed of finding a farthing like this. Those little suckers are hard enough to find period. This is by far the best start to a season for me. Ok this is only my third so I guess that's not saying a lot 8-)

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my!!! That's one hell of a hunt Abe!!!! The condition if that farthing is exceptional! The age of the sites you have honestly blows my mind. I don't have anything that old, but if I did, I'd set up shop and never leave!

I am one lucky guy to be in one of the oldest spots in America. Also lucky to live where most of my ancestors landed

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You definitely have a special site there and terrific soil conditions to help those amazing finds, congrats on the cufflinks

Thanks Jyver. Really happy to get my first linked set

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had a pouch full of finds that resembled those I would be worried it might spontaneously combust. Excellent research definitely paid off with a hot spot. I hope you're able to locate the other cabin sites. Keep hammering that area. :violent1:

Yeah it's crazy to put a years full of early coppers away so quickly. Hope the other sites are half as good. If I can locate them of course

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe there's a Mass silver close by lol

There is. And I hope you find it man but if you need professional help let me know;) lol.

Just kidding. I have no doubt you'll find one.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is. And I hope you find it man but if you need professional help let me know;) lol.

Just kidding. I have no doubt you'll find one.

Oh I hope you're right buddy. Not sure this will be the area but I will certainly my be sure to put myself on a few of the earliest sites at least a few times. Just having a chance is always exciting

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
That 1749 copper is exceptional. You may remember that I found one about 18 months ago and managed to ding it with the digger. I bet both of these coins came over in the payment for participation in the attack on Cape Breton Island. I found mine within 20 miles of Boston for that matter. Keep up the great work, Abe. Love to read your posts and look at the pix of your finds. -Geoff

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
The only negative with these sites is that they sadly end eventually. Hope to see you posting soon. Hope you and I have the best years ever....and our spandex wearing brother has a killer year....just not quite as good as us lol

I'm going to have a slight(very slight) disagreement with you; unless a brand new house or structure shows up on the site in the next little while, it will never end... the finds will slow way down, and they may get harder to force out, but never give up on a great site like that. I always say at any site we hit , you get a lot of the easy ones and a few of the hard ones(the finds), after that you get the rest of the easy ones and a few more of the harder ones... then it's just hard. But it is possible!
But you're one that will take it all the way!
As for the big guy in the stretch pants, we plan on doing it up right this year and carry over our friendly competition to push ourselves to find the best old stuff out there within our grasp!
I look forward to pushing you(and others too) to get out there and keep it going in your part of the world and do the same! But I know you will one of the ones that will be trying to keep us on our toes and compel us to get more of the good stuff!
Continued success to you!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a real special site bud. I've never pulled that many coins from one site in just two hunts and I don't have that many coins in my collection that are in that condition....you're making me feel insignificant, lol. Congrats on the cufflinks too. All you left is a NE shilling and you can retire!

Yeah this place has blown away my coin total with 16. The best part is the condition on a few. Rare indeed. I've also found a few first here which is awesome. I've pulled a pile of buttons from a site but the coin to button ratio here in fairly odd. Hey don't forget the willow tree pal 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread